Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Farsight Enclave]Battlesuits: Suit Up or Ship Out?
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default [Farsight Enclave]Battlesuits: Suit Up or Ship Out?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for a question on the Farsight Enclaves, but it's technically not Tau, and at the same time, it also technically isn't a minor race. However, because he received his own limitations/options, I believe him to be a separate "faction" under the Tau race. If I understand correctly, a bit like the Harlequins.

Anywho, onwards to the question:
Can the Farsight Enclaves innovate? The last post mentions that he was going to be retaking worlds, and having the staff and crew to man a part of said worlds. However, it is also mentioned, earlier in the thread, that innovation is generally done through Universities, labs, etc... However, "necessity is [also] the mother of invention." And with Farsight's limited availability to units (Specifically limited to Firewarriors, Crisis Suits and possibly Gue'Vesa in terms of units that are more than 0-1).

Wouldn't Farsight "develop" units to replace those he no longer has access to, assuming he cannot build what the Empire has(and it'll be more fun anyways if he can't. It'll make him...special.), such as an equivalent anti-tank, or anti-infantry. The 1+ Crisis requirement seems to (at least to me) suggest that his forces would be mostly Battles Suits and Infantry. However, an obvious flaw in that thinking would be the lack of Stealth Suits and Pathfinders. I can't seem to figure out just why those would be limited. Especially since O'Shovah is supposed to be great with the terrain abuse. Pathfinders are about one of the most dependent upon cover to be effective, and the Stealths are suits, which seem to be what O'Shovah wants to go for. Could it have been Stealth Suits were competing for space with his Crisis Suits, and the Pathfinders were mostly static, while Farsight wishes to remain mobile, in which case, it seems to make more sense to me for him to have a "fast, skimmer" type vehicle, such as the Piranha, or an equivalent.

From what little I have been able to absorb, I understand that the Farsight Enclaves were essentially an after-thought, but what point would be served with doing a job with partial/half effort? "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."

Finally, I have one more query:
Would Farsight be able to, or need to, develop alternative units, and if so, what limitations would there be in:
1) The fluff(very little to go on, but there are some guidelines, and I have only read the Codex.
2) The practicality, so he wouldn't have everything the Empire has, nor would he completely forget the Tau race(vehicles are [mostly] skimmers, named after fish, etc...)
3) The basic attitude of O'Shovah.

Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 11:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [Farsight Enclave] Suit Up or Ship Out?

Would Farsight be able to, or need to, develop alternative units, and if so, what limitations would there be in:

While it's entirley possible, even likely that Farsight can develop different classes of infantry then the Empire makes use of, I doubt he'd be able to create many new advanced technologies. The fluff seems to indicate that there weren't nearly as many Earth Caste in his force as Fire Caste.

For example, he may be able to train a few Shas'la in infiltrating, combat, and simple short ranged weaponry (ala flamers). However, he wouldn't be able to develop an XV - 92 with awesome shield technology and a plasma cannon. His Fire Warriors have already shown themselves to be innovative, so you'll probably have some rather unorthodox infantry operating in the Farsight Enclaves.

That said, it IS strange that Pathfinders are limited. Then again, who ever uses multiple Pathfinder squads in the one force anyway?

2) The practicality, so he wouldn't have everything the Empire has, nor would he completely forget the Tau race(vehicles are [mostly] skimmers, named after fish, etc...)

Practicality dosen't give you access to shipyards and high - ranking Fio'El. There are some things he simply wouldn't be able to make in decent amounts. But no, it seems unlikely he'd completley forget the Tau (then again, if he WAS corrupted by something, then it's entirely possible).

3) The basic attitude of O'Shovah.

We don't have much on this unfortunatley. Some disagree with me here, but I personally think his quote in the Codex shows him to be fairly xenophobic. "Each must find their own way......" ".... the hand of each of the great starfarers is turned against the other......" etc.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 19:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin

That said, it IS strange that Pathfinders are limited. Then again, who ever uses multiple Pathfinder squads in the one force anyway?
From an Epic perspective, it might be that O'shovah has his Pathfinders deployed (on foot, via Devilfish or using Piranhas) as separate formations, and not attached to larger Cadres (essentially what you see in a 40k-scale action).

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin
Default Re: [Farsight Enclave]Battlesuits: Suit Up or Ship Out?

I think the Pathfinder/Stealth limitation is just there to show he doesn't have as much access to high technology as other Tau and also to show that he focuses on basic infantry, which would still include the very adaptive Crisis suits. I doubt he would have any use for building new Tau units, but instead developing new tactics for already discovered units. Also in the old codex I do believe it stated he had a large reliance of auxillaries, which could include Tallerians and Humans though apparently not Kroot. He may also include things like Ork mercenaries, and other such lesser races though we don't have too much fluff on them.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin

They're probably limited because they require a DF to use, which would be in high demand in a army cut off from the Empire. And many people could use more than 1 PF squad