Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can eldar have babies without them dying?
Old 07 Mar 2007, 22:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher
Default Can eldar have babies without them dying?

Alright, my friend and I had an arguement about eldar babies today.

He was saying that the second a baby comes out it gets its soul eaten by Slaanesh!

I say they probably have a way of saving the baby before this happens. ie: putting the stone on it before it comes out.

Then he told me that the eldar wouldn't be called the dying if this happened. Then I said that the eldar would only have knock boots every 1000 years or so they wouldn't lead themselves to the fall. And that they would have strict rules on the subject and maybe even stages(pre-foreplay or something).

Now because I'm the eldar player, I want to call him a git. But I'm not 100% sure on the subject so could you guys help?
Simply put - paint your damn minis! ;D

The Lost Waywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2007, 22:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Can eldar have babies without them dying?

They aren't very active is spreading their population, but they do make new Eldar. The birth rate is below the death rate though.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Eldar souls can only be consumed by She Who Thirsts upon death. So if an Eldar baby died at birth without a spirit stone, yes, it would be gone. However, simply being born does not constitute consumption by Her Thirstyness.

And, yes, as Vimes said, Eldar have babies, but their birth rate is probably equal to that of Italy (the worst in the world!). Think of it this way, the Eldar are probably so devoted to the Path that relationships and procreation (even the joys of sexual intercourse) are secondary to them. Besides, with their tendency towards decadence and indulgence - I would wager that there is a "Path of Reproduction" which regulates and oversees reproductive activities to keep them from getting out of hand.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

My guess is that Eldar pregnancies are a little different than for humans (understatement). This gets into more real-world philosophy than it perhaps should, but it comes down to the nature of the soul. If a presence in the Warp is something that begins at conception, then Eldar babies would be very vulnerable to Slaanesh. But my guess is that infants, even those of the Eldar, most likely have Warp presences in proportion to their psychic awareness. So as infants, Slaanesh probably wouldn't even notice them. But as they age, their presence in the warp becomes more and more pronounced. This is likely true of both Eldar and Dark Eldar, and would explain how Dark Eldar are able to survive childhood (some of them, anyway) without waystones.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Interesting...perhaps this has something to do with the concept of a Way Stone being "attuned" to an individual's soul. As the soul develops, the waystone gains harmony with the soul?
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Interesting...perhaps this has something to do with the concept of a Way Stone being "attuned" to an individual's soul. As the soul develops, the waystone gains harmony with the soul?
That would be in keeping with other aspects of Eldar culture, I would say.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 01:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Therefore it is dangerous to consumate a Marraige after a certain age as this would draw Slaanesh to their home. Or the psychic output of the Eldar woman as she gives birth may be so great a becon that Chaos floods in and kills her outright. or am i writing too much into too little?
Old 08 Mar 2007, 01:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingates_hellsing
Therefore it is dangerous to consumate a Marraige after a certain age as this would draw Slaanesh to their home. Or the psychic output of the Eldar woman as she gives birth may be so great a becon that Chaos floods in and kills her outright. or am i writing too much into too little?
I'm not sure if that would be a proper interpretation. If you look at other aspects of Eldar society (warfare, art, scrying), it is taken very seriously. While there may be a thrill in warfare, for instance, there certainly isn't "joy" in it. The Eldar seek to refine, perfect, and control their abilities - not to indulge in them. Therefore, sex might very well be a very matter-of-fact act for Eldar...thought they would have the potential to feel & enjoy more than any human. Likewise, childbirth might be very quiet and solemn (similar to what was once said about Japanese women) with the new mother being very controlled and precise about her actions.

So rather than drawing She Who Thirsts, Eldar procreation & childbirth might be very acts against the indulgences which would draw Her by controlling their emotions during the events.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 02:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher

Thanks guys!!! I'm going to my friend's house to call him a git now

No seriously thanks, I learnt something today!
Simply put - paint your damn minis! ;D

The Lost Waywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 03:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

aha! but has the fluff not mentioned that Eldar feel emotion far greater than any other race, although the mask it well? not to poke fun but put that on a shirt and sell it