Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau invasion - Where would you stand?
Old 10 Feb 2007, 10:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau invasion - Where would you stand?

I realise that this topic has been done in the past (I think I started it at least once) but it hasn't happened for quite some time, and there's a lot of new members around to give their opinions.

If the Tau Empire began an invasion of Earth, (Not Terra. Earth. The world you're standing on right now.) tommorrow, on who's side would you stand? Would you be willing to risk death fighting them? Or would you embrace the ideal of the Greater Good? For me at least, it's not an easy question. The Tau can undoubtedly bring a lot of good things to this planet, but on the other hand will result in a drastic change in lifestyle, and the loss of much of our individuality.

Remember, you means YOU. Not super - buffed up imaginary you. So if you don't think you have the courage or the will to get up from your chair, grab a shotgun and start blasting Fire Warriors (knowing full well you might die in doing so), don't say you will. Likewise, answers like "yes, as long as I get a Battlesuit" aren't really valid either. You'd be just an ordinary Gue'vesa working for the Tau (or an ordinary soldier taking shots at them).

Your thoughts?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 10:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to THE LORD
Default Re: Tau invasion - Where would you stand?

i would revolt and stand up against the supressers and wait for the glorious imperial guard to save us non heritics
Because I lied, and they all died

Boy racer, crashed, caught, fined and gone
THE LORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 11:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd go along with it.

Stupid trying to intervene.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 11:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Some background information would be useful here. Has Earth been transplanted wholesale into the 40k universe - are we likely to see Orks or Tyranids charging over the horizon anytime soon? Or have the Tau just appeared in our apparently otherwise uninhabited galaxy? Do we know that these are really Tau, or just that they appear and act identically to a fictional race invented by a certain game company?

Are they simply attacking, and do they seem to have sufficient forces to win? An immediate attack is rather out of character for the Tau - their standard procedure would probably be to start off with an exchange of greetings followed by trade negotiations. (This is likely to become a violent scenario, too - many nations would be willing to attack their neighbours in order to prevent them from trading for such disruptive technologies.)

If the Tau Empire existed near to Earth, we (meaning humanity) could either try to join them or to persuade them to leave us alone. Military conflict doesn't help in either case. If we were to try to join them, we'd need to unite politically in order to improve our bargaining position (to arrange the status with which we'd join the Empire). If we wanted them to leave us alone, we would also need to be united - otherwise there'll probably be at least one country willing to trade with them. (See the example of the Demiurg - several of their Brotherhoods have joined the Empire, while the others merely coexist peacefully.)

If relations have actually degenerated to the point where there's open warfare between human nations and the Tau, the 'leave us alone' option is probably out - once we've proven ourselves hostile, they've got enough force to crush us if they want to. I suspect that I'd end up assisting in a lab attempting to reverse-engineer captured Tau technology - whatever the outcome of the war, humanity would be better-off with a head start on upgrading its technology base, whether free (probably temporarily) or as a Tau vassal state. There's little long-term hope of victory, but I'd take any political option to lobby for a negotiated surrender (rather than a delayed but unconditional one) - and I'd probably try to make sure that any Tau prisoners were treated reasonably well. Defeated nations that have mistreated their prisoners of war are typically dealt with very harshly by the victors, and that's something I'd prefer to avoid.
Abanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 11:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, see 'ere. I don't want no damn-stinky-blue-peace-loving alien in a cardboard box running my life! No sir. I'd gear up for some serious smurf hunting. I'd hook up a pair of twin-linked 30 oght 6's to my pickup truck and head out to give those goodie two-fingered blue boys a piece of redneck hell. ;D

Sorry, that would probably be the response of most of my neighbors. I'd have to fight the Tau, though, as my wife's favorite color is blue and I'm not sure where that would go.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 13:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would join. Huh... Superior tech and knowledge... How could I refuse?
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 13:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well for one it would create a time paradox if we joined the Tau. This is Earth...or Terra in the game. Terra is the center of humanity. If Earth, sometime around 38,000 years before the Damoscles Crusade, joined the Tau, and then in 38,000 years the Tau are attacked by Terra and humanity...WTF?

But all time-paradoxes aside...I don't know what I'd do.
SpacePuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 14:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would defiantly join. I mean just think of all the tech the tau can offer. Its that or orbital bombardment. Which do YOU choose?

First thing first, but not necessarily in that order! - Doctor Who

Fight well and Die well. What more can a guardsmen hope for?

Duality is key, good and evil, dark and light, only when both come toghether can man truly prosper.- Lord Bale

No matter what you do to me I am safe in the knowledge that nobody cares about me anyway!
Psyker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 14:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd join. I imagine the Tau would be better at running things than we are, at any rate. No Tau has killed another in thousands of years. No human has killed another since... oh, whoops, never mind. :

Besides, what would be the point of putting up any kind of armed resistance? Any race capable of interstellar travel would be able to brush our military aside within merely a few weeks, tops. Somehow I don't think strapping some machine guns to a truck is going to bother them that much, Farseer_Emlyn.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 14:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

I really wouldn't go along with them. I'd rather shoot back than become a second calss citizen.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote