Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My thesis on the Necron "Gauss"
Old 06 Feb 2007, 21:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default My thesis on the Necron "Gauss"

What if one of GW's SNAFUs was actually, an advanced idea in disguise? My theorem:

The beam is made of several layers, each with its own job towards stripping something bare. They are

---------------------------------------------------
Layer of Ripping: this layer is an advanced laser that slices through the atoms, making the particles smaller, possibly with a heavy particle that smashes into the substance and neutralizing the electromagnetic bonds- thus freeing the atoms up and making them held together only with gravity and the other forces of the atomic level.
[size=15pt]!Gauss Layer![/size]

Layer of Dissolving: This is the layer that breaks the atoms down to their elemental parts (possibly Proton, neutron and electron or into atoms)

Gravity beam: This is the center beam that pulls in all dissolved materials into the beam and back to the guns. This way, all the dissolved material is taken back to the Gun

Layer of Dissolving

Layer of Ripping

Well? Thoughts? Ideas? Hate mail?
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2007, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: My thesis on the Necron "Gauss"

Hardly a "thesis", but this is certainly one plausable method the Gauss-weapon could employ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The splitting down to elemental layer of protons, nuetrons, and electrons wouldn't actually "break" apart the bonds it would over load it with neutrons until it decays and shatters. The forces holding quarks (so far the smallest thing in existance) is incredibly strong and doesn't break. The left over force holds the nucleus together (that's why the positive protons don't fly apart). It's like trying to take a book from a really strong guy. You can't so you overload him with other stuff until he drops what you want then you grab and run. This is how "atom smashers" work. Sorry for the physics lesson but for the Layer of Dissolving to work the Gauss weapon would fire high speed nuetrons at the target which would break the atoms into protons and nutrons to be pulled back by the gravity beam. These newly aquired particles can be switched into neutrons (which is possible as that is what happens in Beta decay) which can be fired again at a new target.

Again sorry for the physics lesson but I find this stuff pretty interesting.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've always pictured necron guass weaponry as being like the weapons used by the aliens in Mars Attacks.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 01:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You know Gauss weapons in real life are really not anything GW shows (however, I'm pretty sure most of you know it). But, if you don't know, gauss weapons in real life are kin to coilguns. Which in turn, the coilfuns are kin to railguns.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 03:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I realise this, but this gives a "gauss" explaination to it (first layer to it)

And despite the fact that it is no thesis, it's the closest I can think of to a gauss weapon for the tin heads.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 03:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis 541
The splitting down to elemental layer of protons, nuetrons, and electrons wouldn't actually "break" apart the bonds it would over load it with neutrons until it decays and shatters. The forces holding quarks (so far the smallest thing in existance) is incredibly strong and doesn't break. The left over force holds the nucleus together (that's why the positive protons don't fly apart).
Understood, but let's assume for the moment that the Necron's Gauss technology isn't like anything we understand. What if they could create a physical reaction that would cause the fundamental bond holding the quarks together to release. Even on a small scale, wouldn't this potentially destabilize the entire object by releasing electrons (energy) and neutrons (possibility of chain reactions)? If so, this would give you a very devestating attack which would simultaneously break matter down to its fundamental parts.
(If I'm completely wrong, just ignore me, I'm an accountant not a physicist).
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 05:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why don't they call them anti-matter rifles? They seem very alike to fission blasts that take apart atomic structures.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 13:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Now in actuality, a high speed neutron would next to nothing, like neutrinos a high speed neutron would simply pass through the atoms and do nothing, however a low speed neutron would also do nothing, as the force of the impact on a stable nucleus would be almost nothing, might create negligible amounts of heat but nothing more.

Now if the protons where dissolved there would be a lot of up and down quarks and a bunch of Gluons floating around, as well as all the electrons and neutrons which no longer have anything keeping then together, this amount of chargless bosons would be rather difficult to maneuver into the gun and use a great deal of energy if a Gravity Beam was used.

Now if one where to split the neutrons (it would have to be all of them in every atom or else the atoms would become unstable and be prone to nuclear fission) then it would generate one electron and one proton per neutron disrupted, most of the protons would drift off, leaving a large mass of highly charged Hydrogen gas (and a bunch of loose protons and electrons if any of the component matter was ionized) Now the more something is charged the easier it is to exert Electromagnetic influence on the target allowing the hydrogen plasma and the free electrons and protons to be drawn into the gun and then probably into a miniature fusion reactor (the glowing greenness would probably be caused by the electric discharges between Hydrogen atoms contained within an extremely powerful magnetic field.

Also the use of a magnetic field justifies the use of the word Gauss in the name.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Bob the Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2007, 15:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The strong bonds which hold quarks together doesn't break as far as we know. When you try and pull two quarks apart they will stretch and stretch but they don't break. Then the strong bond splits into four quarks with a strong bond so in picture form

Q-Q
quark strong bond quark

Q---------Q
Quarks being pulled apart

Q-Q Q-Q
Two pairs of quarks

The energy put into the pulling apart of the quarks is transformed into matter, E=mc[sub]2[/sub]
So breaking down into quarks is incredible hard.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote