Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar and the Greater Good.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 22:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Eldar and the Greater Good.

I got onto this discussion with my brother, (while he was deciding about collecting an Eldar army to ally with my Tau for a doubles tournament....but thats another story).

What if the Eldar joined the Greater Good, how would this affect the 40k world....would the new technical innovations available to the Tau see greater expansion? Would the Eldar embrace this new ideal? What about the Eldar paths, would Eldar leaving them and pursuing the Greater good and exposing their souls further the Chaos powers? Would the Imperium stand for such a threat, and launch a genocidal campaign? Would they have the strength to hold off the advancing hordes of Orks and Tyranids? How would the Etreals cope with having the Farseers as a rival?

In short, how would the galaxy change if the Eldar joined the Greater good.....and if you think the Eldar would never join the Tau....why? Surely it increases their chance of survival....doesnt it?

Discuss.......

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu
Eetion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 23:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Eldar and the Greater Good.

Hi Eetion,

The Eldar are supposed to be the supremely arrogant species of 40k, which is why, I think, most people would dismiss the idea of them ever joining the Greater Good. It doesn't help that the Tau are among the youngest races in the galaxy, and are the weakest of the major galactic forces.

However, there are a few of us - me included, that like to believe that the Eldar have at least some sort of grudging respect for the Tau... This all stems from this really obscure statement by Eldrad Uthran in the 3rd Ed Tau codex.

Anyway, back to the topic, it'd be pretty damn sweet if some Eldar decided to join the cause. However, since the Eldar's #1 problem has always been a major lack of industry and manpower, I realy couldn't see much technology coming out of this relationship. I'm sure they'd both try to adapt Eldar tech into Tau society, but you just can't do it if it's not available. Also, Eldar technology is created psychicly, from wraithbone, which would mean that even if they wanted to, the Eldar probably wouldn't really be able to teach the Tau new science or tech.

I guess realisitically, all the Eldar can really do for the Tau, to any appreciable degree, would probably be to share culture/diplomatic knowledge, allow the Tau to use their webways, and lend them some troops once in a while. I suppose they could also try to convince the Demiurg to give the Tau full access to their tech as well.

Unfortunately, back to the matter of Eldar arrogance, I can't imagine the amount of turmoil that would erupt among the Eldar if a craftworld chose to join the Tau Empire. There'd be a civil war for sure - which at the very least would cause a very serious change in the balance of power in the galaxy - with no guarantee that the would Empire survive.

Overall, in game terms, Tau+Eldar is a pretty fun combination. However, fluffwise... that'd be pretty difficult.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Floobarus, can you paraphrase the Eldrad Ulthuan quote?

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Bob the Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 23:45   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

He basically said that the Tau were nearly the best thing since the Eldar themselves.

I still don't think the Eldar will ever join the Tau. They might respect the Tau somewhat, but that hardly means they'd ally themselves with them. The Eldar simply don't want any help.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 23:47   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrad Ulthran
"I have followed the myriad potential futures of the Tau with great interest. Though barely even striplings compared to us, I feel a strange protectiveness towards them. In time I believe they will exceed even our greatest feats and master the darkness within their souls".
So he thinks they show some promise. That is all I can really read into it.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 23:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

people also have strange protectivness toward puppies- i've never liked the apparently 'huge' connection this quote implies.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 00:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Avenger
Floobarus, can you paraphrase the Eldrad Ulthuan quote?
It's on pg. 61 of the 3rd ed. Tau codex.. I'm not making this up... you really want me to post it??

okay...

""I have followed the myriad potential futures of the Tau with great interest... I feel a strange protectiveness towards them. In time, I believe they will exceed even our greatest feats and master the darkness in their souls." - Eldrad Uthran, Farseer of Ulthwe Craftworld" (Codex: Tau, 61)

So that's pretty vague, though I think that, at least with Eldrad, there's a little bit of respect/fondness for the Tau.

I really feel I need to clarify myself: I like the idea of Eldar joining the Tau. But it's not like I really believe in there's actually some reallysupersecretawesomeness kinda thing going on between them. I mostly like it because I, as a mech tau player, like teaming up with my buddy, who happens to play (mech) eldar.

So please, everyone, my name's Floobosaurus.. as in Allosaurus or Brontosaurus... I'm not a fanboy.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2007, 04:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

it should be noted that when offered the eldar didn't even respond.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 04:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Eldar wouldn't even consider joining the Tau until (if) the Tau gain a similar level of influence to the Imperium. The Eldar might not have a burning hatred for Tau as they do for everyone else, but they aren't going to join the cause of the least influential of what they view to be lesser races.

Probably the best the Tau can hope for is some sort of non - agression deal. The Eldar realise that killing Tau simply isn't worth the risk and effort, so agree not to hurt them. Which is actually fairly plausible. The Eldar might not want to risk lives (which they view to be over a thousand times more important then Tau ones) fighting an enemy who dosen't endanger them in any way.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2007, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
Probably the best the Tau can hope for is some sort of non - agression deal. The Eldar realise that killing Tau simply isn't worth the risk and effort, so agree not to hurt them. Which is actually fairly plausible. The Eldar might not want to risk lives (which they view to be over a thousand times more important then Tau ones) fighting an enemy who dosen't endanger them in any way.
I don't think the Tau can really hope for much anything from the Eldar. The Eldar can never be trusted in anything long-term, including any kind of non-aggression pact. If the Eldar feel that killing Tau will further their ends, then nothing is going to dissuade them. Eldar technology is of no use to the Tau, rooted as it is in warpcraft, so the most the Eldar can offer the Tau is light trade in return for raw materials, entering a similar relationship as I like to think the Eldar have with the Demiurg. The Eldar pose little threat to the Tau, and they possess little in the way of territory that the Tau would be interested in, so neither race is going to fight without some mission-related reason.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote