Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperium Matchups
Old 04 Jan 2007, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Imperium Matchups

I'm curious, does the Imperium of Man have any single vessel equivalent to one of these?

In case you don't recognise it, this is an Eclipse-class star dreadnought. It is over 17 kilometers long, manned by more than seven hundred thousand Imperial personnel, and boasts a prow-mounted superlaser, a smaller verson of the planet-destroying weapon borne by the Death Star. Beyond this, its titanic hull is covered by five hundred turbolaser batteries, seventy-five ion cannons, and more than five hundred heavy laser cannons. Its gaping hangars support six hundred TIE Interceptors, as well as eight squadrons of TIE bombers. It carries a hundred and fifty thousand stormtroopers, including soldiers of the elite Royal Guard Legion, along with a hundred AT-AT ultralight titan walkers. Its hyperdrive allows it to blast through interstellar medium at thousands of times the speed of light, reliably, efficiently, and at a moment's notice, though it wallows about like a whale at sublight speeds.

Any takers? ;D Blackstone fortresses don't count, because they're space stations, not battleships, and would probably (PROBABLY) obliterate this thing in short order.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its shields can reliably absorb a sustained bombardment by a fleet amassing firepower equivalent to its own.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2007, 21:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Imperium Matchups

Actually, Blackstone Fortresses do count - Mike Wong made the distinctiong between starships and battle stations himself, and that's almost canon.

A Blackstone Fortress would probably the closest thing... a massive juggernaut with a planet killer... and yes, they're mobile.

In terms of ships-of-the-line, though, I don't think the Imperium can match the Empire at any scale level. A Cobra Destroyer, for example, is 1.5km long and sports only a pair of turrets and forward torpedo tubes... compared to the hundreds of weapon emplacements on an Imperial-Class Star Destroyer, all turbolasers probably of comprable firepower to a battery or even a lance.

To the above, please don't bitch 40k fanboys. I used to be a vocal supporter of 40k in a "vs. SW" matchup, then I looked hard at the figures. A single ISD can inflict Exterminatus with ease, and you'd need alot more than one Cobra to pull that off.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2007, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

So the only thing that could destroy it with relative ease, you're making off limits... that makes sense. :

I'm a big supporter of not debating fluff from two completely different universes, though.

It only leads to strife...
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2007, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
So the only thing that could destroy it with relative ease, you're making off limits... that makes sense. :
I was talking to Thunder on MSN, to be fair he didn't know that BSFs were mobile platforms rather than static ones.

Quote:
I'm a big supporter of not debating fluff from two completely different universes, though.

It only leads to strife...
I agree... fun as it is to nuke trekkies, putting SW and 40k next to each other makes the Imperium look realy, realy, bad. The fact that the only canon armour stats we have (Imperial Armour) was written by people who have no idea how capable modern vehicles are.
Old 04 Jan 2007, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Oh yeah, the Choas Planet killer.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2007, 22:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by T pok
Oh yeah, the Choas Planet killer.
The Planet Killer no longer exists, although Abaddon may have built a new one. It was stupidly slow, 'twas it's downfall - it ended up being destroyed by a squadron of cruisers who hammered it with torpedos... clever of them to stay out of battery range and to dispersed to hit with the Armaggedon Gun.
Old 04 Jan 2007, 22:36   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Actually, shields wise, the Imperium owns the Empire.their ships have to be modified for each kind of laser, or an EMP. If you hit them with EMP lasers to begin with, then they will convert them over to defend against those, and then you hit them with your big guns. Only problem is that in the SW Universe the EMP lasers can only be generated on the ground... with a reallllllllyyyyyy big generator.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2007, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

The largest line ships the Imperium fields are about 7.5 kilometers long. It should be noted, however, that they have many of them, whereas most of the Star Wars ships larger than that were either unique craft or else in extremely limited production. Most capital ships in Star Wars would be comparable to destroyers in Battlefleet Gothic. It should be noted that many of the smaller classes of ship in Star Wars have no equivalent in Warhammer 40k. The smallest freighters you might see in Gothic are on the same size order as capital ships in Star Wars. Ships the size of the Millenium Falcon would only serve as small intrasystem shuttles or light landing craft.

Personally, I find a lot of Star Wars tech to be a little overblown, at least in terms of anything from the movies. The books and expanded universe sort of ran into a problem with every author trying to outdo what had come before, thus the dizzying array of secret superweapons with no concern for logistics.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2007, 01:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer, The Holy Influence
Actually, shields wise, the Imperium owns the Empire.their ships have to be modified for each kind of laser, or an EMP. If you hit them with EMP lasers to begin with, then they will convert them over to defend against those, and then you hit them with your big guns. Only problem is that in the SW Universe the EMP lasers can only be generated on the ground... with a reallllllllyyyyyy big generator.
What kind of technobabble is this? Lasers in Star Wars aren't reconfigured for, and for that matter they aren't even lasers (if you look at how the projectile acts, they're certainly don't behave like a laser beam).

40k Void Shields are hopeless by comparison... they offer limited resiliance and can be crippled by ambient radiation and debris, while the mega-to-gigaton level broadisides of Star Destroyers or comprable enemies will not even bring down SW shields in one salvo.
Old 05 Jan 2007, 02:12   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer, The Holy Influence
What kind of technobabble is this? Lasers in Star Wars aren't reconfigured for, and for that matter they aren't even lasers (if you look at how the projectile acts, they're certainly don't behave like a laser beam).

40k Void Shields are hopeless by comparison... they offer limited resiliance and can be crippled by ambient radiation and debris, while the mega-to-gigaton level broadisides of Star Destroyers or comprable enemies will not even bring down SW shields in one salvo.
If I remember correctly it came from the Star Wars tech book thing...
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote