Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlefleet Gothic!
Closed Thread
Old 27 Dec 2006, 03:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Battlefleet Gothic!

I'm on winter break, and I've finally had a little time to consider putting together the free battlefleet gothic starter box I got from a friend.

Anyway, I think the rules are awesome thus far, so I'm looking for fluff. Are there any great fan-fics or Black Library novels that center around fleet combat? Any nice peices on BFG that I can find online?
Old 27 Dec 2006, 05:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Battlefleet Gothic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlydawn
I'm on winter break, and I've finally had a little time to consider putting together the free battlefleet gothic starter box I got from a friend.

Anyway, I think the rules are awesome thus far, so I'm looking for fluff. Are there any great fan-fics or Black Library novels that center around fleet combat? Any nice peices on BFG that I can find online?
The official sites are okay, but the mythology is basically the same as WH40K.

Love the game and models.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 05:57   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Not really any Black Library books that I can think of that are centered on Space Battles. Though Rogue Star has quite a lot of them.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 06:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Execution hour had a few space battles as did it's sequal, Shadow point. Thos though are the only books I can recomend that have space battles and are mostly about the fleets.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Execution Hour & Shadow Point both revolve largely around BFG related topics, dealing rather specifically with things that happened during the Gothic War, around which the entire game is based.

It also helps that they are some of the best 40k Novels out there...

Rogue Star also 'sortof' points in the right direction, but Andy Hoare could have done with learning a bit of BFG before penning the space battles. If he was allowed to 'revise' a chapter or three post-publishing then it'd really help the book (IMO), but it's a good yarn nonetheless (short, though).

Those three are the vast majority of the ones that deal with space travel and BFG related stuff in any depth for BFG fluff. The main rulebook (which is about to be re-released in an updated form incorporating some of the erratas and newer rules and slightly updating the basic 'core' fleets) has a downright excellent section detailing the vast majority of the course of the Gothic War. BFG: Armada (a supplement book) also details the 'Battlefleet' activity surrounding the Third War for Armageddon and the 13th Black Crusade, which whilst not as captivating as the stuff on the Gothic War, is also quite well worth the read.

All of that should be downloadable from the SG site if you fancy printing it (or are able to read a ton of stuff off-screen).

Xisor

PS BFG kicks the crap out of 40k in terms of being a good game, IMO. Charging in with a heroic space marine against a hive tyrand may be one thing, but a Space Marine Starship's Captain yelling "All ahead full, ramming speed!" and having the helmsman aim the entire 2.5km long starship at a gargantuan, bloated and fearsome Tyranid Hive Ship...oooh...it's something else entirely!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

um, The Warriors of Ultramar has a bunch of fleet battle, and a bunch of ground battles and justa lot of general killing

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Closed Thread