Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A few Tau questions.
Closed Thread
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:22   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: A few Tau questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
In the previous Codex, I'm quite sure the Ethereal was an "Aun'El".

I see no reason for this to have changed, personally.
Of the Ethereals we have names for, almost all hold the rank of either Aun'el or Aun'o. The only Aun'vre I can recall is the Ethereal assigned to the Taros campaign, which was a pretty small operation compared to Damocles Gulf, Medusa, or Kronos. And I have never seen an Aun'ui or Aun'la described in the fluff. As I understand it, most military forces are only accompanied by one or two Ethereals, all of high rank.

My guess is that the Ethereals of lower ranks serve domestically guiding the other castes, since there is more call for their abilities to solve ideological problems and they are placed at less risk. A green Ethereal on the field could be a pretty serious liability.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:58   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

OK, I'm changing my answer on the Ethereals.

ALL Ethereals are the same rank, because they are all NOT part of the military! What they are akin to in our world ar UN advisors.. meaning they are civilians.

While indeed there are different ranks within the Ethereal "priesthood", to a Shas Firewarrior General, each and every Ethereal is absolutely the same.... very VERY important, and allmighty.

Another analogy would be a Senator accompanying a General in a theater of war. And add that the Senator is a Bishop. So, even though the Aun isnt the pope, hes still so far above the General that there really is no difference.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:30   #13 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

If all ethereals are the same rank, whats with the whole

Aun'Saal
Aun'La
Aun'Ui
Aun'Vre
Aun'El
Aun'O

thing they have going on then? And its not just them, all castes follow this ranking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:49   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

look at the the entry for kroot in your codex: next to where it says Kroot Carnivore Squad it should say (Tau: _____)
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:51   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

But doesn't..... say anything for Kroot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:59   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Every part of Tau Society has ranks, the Auns go from 'la to 'O also in the old codex they defined Aun'vre as king like status, where Aun'la would be more like a prince.

Although, its not official, my guess with the stealth teams is as regular fire warrior a good number of them survived, compared to the average squad of fire warriors which get cut down to 3, 2, 1, or 0. I guess they figure well since they work well together and survived make 'em pathfinders or stealth teams. Probably, they have to be pathfinders first though.

Don't know about the Kroot. It doesn't have anything in the old codex, don't have the new codex on me.
Closed Thread