Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Will the Imperium Last?
Closed Thread
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Will the Imperium Last?

Is it just me or does it appear that the Empire of man is losing planets at a faster rate than it is either colonising new ones or retaking old ones.

The tau are slowly moving forward, although I think that they pose the least amount of threat.

Orks will basically always be around, constantly taking planets, being destroyed and then going back to do the same thing all over again.

I get the impression that the Necrons are slowly being destroyed, but I am no to sure about the fluff in that department.

I do not know very much about Eldar and Dark eldar, however, i have the impression that they are dying out, rather than gaining strength.

Chaos will always be around, and from what I understand, will just keep perpetuating itself, being a constant thorn in the imperiums side. Chaos also seems to be growing in power.

However, with each successive hive fleet, the tyranid incursions just get further and further into imperium territory. The Imperium seems to not have an effective strategy to deal with the bugs, apart from throw plenty of soldiers onto it until one side is wiped out, a strategy which does not seem to work as each death, human or tyranid just makes the nids stronger, absorbing the dead material back into the nids gene pool.

So, if the Empire keeps losing ground on all fronts and continues to slowly shrink, will it still be able to survive? I do not think that the army's will be effective if forge worlds start being destroyed and the Imperial guard can not rely on simply drawing on millions of troops at the drop of a hat, if the Imperium get below a few thousand planets, it simply will not have the capacity to produce such insane numbers of troops. \

So, how long do you think the Empire of man will survive?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin
Default Re: Will the Imperium Last?

It will. The less their forces are spread, and the more they are concentrated they can deal with threats better. I think GW are making the Imperium smaller so that eventually everything will be on a semi equal scale. Like the Imperium will be the size of the Tau empire...same iwth chaos, ect. Eventually the Eldar will get horny and mate. Dark Eldar are just not played, but they are doing fine, pirates love to be unseen, plus pirates have parrots.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 13 Nov 2006, 03:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsujin
It will. The less their forces are spread, and the more they are concentrated they can deal with threats better. I think GW are making the Imperium smaller so that eventually everything will be on a semi equal scale. Like the Imperium will be the size of the Tau empire...same iwth chaos, ect. Eventually the Eldar will get horny and mate. Dark Eldar are just not played, but they are doing fine, pirates love to be unseen, plus pirates have parrots.
I thought Eldar had no-... nevermind... :-X it'd be cool to see the empire of man shrink to a tiny speck... wonder what the 40k universe will be like when I'm an adult... Hmm...
Only then your life I will save
Old 13 Nov 2006, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

There will be fall backs and expansions I'm sure. there are in the fluff a number of stories of this. If they ever feel the Imperium is getting too small I'm sure a new hero will rise up and a push will be on just like in the grand days of Macharius.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 09:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It will probably end up us being pushed back so far, we just retreat to Terra, set up all manner of defences and wait for the enivitable last stad

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:48   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

What do you mean "last"? It will fall eventually. Everything does.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 13 Nov 2006, 15:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And when the last stand does come, all the Titans will await, along with all of the Space Marine Chapters, and all of the Imperial Guard. A last stand is supposed to sound hopeless, but that sounds pretty tough! If it does come to a last stand, the Imperium will defeat the foe and rebuild, just like after the Heresy.

To put simply, I hate Necrons, despise Tyranids and simply kill Space Marine!
Old 13 Nov 2006, 19:09   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

There will be no last stand. Thats not how Empires go. There will be a slow, painful collapse......

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 13 Nov 2006, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Imperium will last as long as the Astronomicon lasts. The only "Last Stand" there can ever be for mankind will occur on Terra, as is fitting. If the Astronomicon fails for any reason, all the human worlds in the galaxy will be picked off one-by-one by the other races. They would have no way to coordinate a defense. Even the Space Marines are not self-sufficient enough to survive without inter-stellar transportation to resupply them with food and equipment. The Forge Worlds would survive the longest, and perhaps a few of the mid-population worlds with balanced economies and large PDF divisions, but even they would fall in time. As the Light of the Emperor is the great strength of the Imperium, so to is it their greatest weakness.

But as long as the Astronomicon survives, the Imperium is all but invulnerable. They can recall enough fleet strength to defend the Segmentum Solar against just about any possible threat short of complete unification of all their enemies. The Tau are expanding, but they are really just picking low-hanging fruit off of the lightly-defended and mostly-neglected Eastern Fringe. The same is true of the Tyranids, although they have of course ventured much deeper than the Tau. Ork gains are pretty much balanced, as are those of Chaos. The Imperium is retaking as many worlds as it is losing from both groups. And Necrons, Eldar, and Dark Eldar aren't really capturing any planets that the Imperium has significantly colonized. Dark Eldar only raid, the Necrons have their own worlds already largely or completely devoid of life, and the Eldar really only want their own Maiden Worlds back, of which the Imperium holds very few. So the Imperium is losing worlds slowly to the Tau and quickly to the Tyranids, but not a rate or in a region that indicates an imminent collapse.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Khanaris and The Guv have good points. I think the fall would be quite similar to Rome, which sowed the seeds of its own destruction. The faults of Human nature and greed tore apart the Empire, and it'll do the same to the Imperium. The only other strength the Imperium has to its credit is size. The size grants a huge fighting force, but if it fractures but a little, it will fall.
Closed Thread