Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Will the Imperium Last?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:43   #21 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Will the Imperium Last?

But sneaking in and detonating a weapon underneath Astral Choir is not as difficult.

Where exactly IS the astronomicon? Is it inside the Palace? I always thought it was, which would mean that only the Custodes would be allowed anywhere near the place. I think I might be wrong on that though.

There IS a sealed webway gate at the base of the Golden Throne.

Was that a joke?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:38   #22 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
But sneaking in and detonating a weapon underneath Astral Choir is not as difficult.

Where exactly IS the astronomicon? Is it inside the Palace? I always thought it was, which would mean that only the Custodes would be allowed anywhere near the place. I think I might be wrong on that though.
The Astronomicon is maintained by the Adeptus Astronomica and is built into a mountain called the Forbidden Fortress in what is now Nepal. The Astronomicon itself is a huge hollow sphere. The lower half is inside the mountain and the upper half extends above. So the whole site looks like a massive dome projecting out of the top of the mountain. The lower reaches of the facility contain geothermal power plants, living quarters for staff, and offices. The Astronomicon chamber itself contains nothing but rows and rows of seats facing the center. The assembled psykers all direct their wills into the center of the sphere, forming a mass of concentrated psychic energy which is siphoned off and cast out into the Warp by the Emperor. The burn-out rate is about one hundred psykers per day. So they don't go through them as fast the Golden Throne does, but the Golden Throne is mainly fed by those with unstable powers, whereas the Astromicon is fed by psykers who are stable but not strong enough to serve as Astropaths or IG combat Psykers.

The Imperial Palace occupies most of one hemisphere, but I believe it is centered on Europe. So the Astronomicon is not generated from the Golden Throne, even though it is apparently controlled from there.

(This is described in White Dwarf 140, if you want the reference. 140 also details the Imperial trade system, which I found interesting. Turns out there are more kinds of trade charters than I thought.)
Old 15 Nov 2006, 06:02   #23 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Quote:
He is powering the Golden Throne
Now thats cool, I had no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:23   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just so you guys know, the Imperial Navy can use the warp without the aid of the Astronomican. During the Macharian Crusade, the fleet actually left the Astronomican behind them as they pressed on into the halo zone. Without the light of the astronomican to guide them, they were forced to use a system a little similar to the Tau. They would do short warp jumps, frequently returning to the materium to get their bearings before moving on. Doing so they were only able to move at a "crawl" as General Sejanus described it, but they probably still travelled faster than the Tau are currently able to.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 15 Nov 2006, 14:55   #25 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
Just so you guys know, the Imperial Navy can use the warp without the aid of the Astronomican. During the Macharian Crusade, the fleet actually left the Astronomican behind them as they pressed on into the halo zone. Without the light of the astronomican to guide them, they were forced to use a system a little similar to the Tau. They would do short warp jumps, frequently returning to the materium to get their bearings before moving on. Doing so they were only able to move at a "crawl" as General Sejanus described it, but they probably still travelled faster than the Tau are currently able to.
But there you are kind of running into a different problem. The Astronomicon is faint out that far anyway, but the Warp itself is not as turbulent out on the fringes (not as much life to generate it). It is probably still faster than what the Tau use, but it is nowhere near as safe. Trying to do that in the core worlds could wipe out half the ships that tried it on every jump. The Imperium can't reproduce the Tau method of travel unless they duplicate the phenomena that keeps the Tau from using normal Warp jumps. Since the problem is boiological rather than technological, it might not be possible in the time frame they had to work with.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 09:05   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, then theres the way the 'nids do it, by somehow whipping up a huge ammount of turbulence and attracting no daemons whatsoever. They're pretty good at it.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 09:07   #27 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Destabilise Sol, make it go nova. No more Terra, no more Imperium. Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 09:34   #28 (permalink)
Shas'El

Because making a star go Nova whilst dodging Battlefleet Solar is easy..........

I thought nothing short of the Planet Killer/Blackstone Fortresses could make a star go nova.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 16 Nov 2006, 10:42   #29 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I'm sure there are other ways, that could be designed. Besides, if you jump out of the warp, directly in range of Sol, fire you magic gun, and Poomph - sun goes nova, and suddenly the Battlefleet Solar is the least of your worries.

Ok, I know, they would be hard to dodge, and I doubt anyone could manage this (Necrons got to Mars though....) I'm just saying, it should theoretically be possible, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 11:49   #30 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

The Webway Gate in the Palace

[Largely factual, paraphrased and ifnerred by me]
It is the Golden Throne. The Emperor sits on it and directs his mind against the daemons trying to pour through. It's not sealed so much as plugged. The psykers fed into the throne go into boosting the Emperor and either sustaining him, or adding to his repertoire.

Making Sol go nova

The only things we know that kill stars in 40k are: 3 Blackstone Fortresses, C'tan, stuff Eldar did at height of their power (this is largely from Asdrubael Vect, not the most trusted source in the Galaxy).

Warping into Sol

Again, not especially plausible. Warp-jumping into planets is presumably not possible. Why? Because no-one seems to do it.

Why isn't it possible, then? I don't know. I'd propose, however, that it is some sort of Gravity-Warp mechanic. Warp Jump points are out in deep-space, well past the 'outermost planets' of the various solar systems. Presumably there's some sort of mechanic that destroys the warp-engine as it breaks through due to some sort of 'intense gravitational spike' (TECHNOBABBLE!)[Well: Physically it's not unthinkable. As you burst into the new dimension, the hole is likely close to infinitesimally small, thus close to infinitely intense, thus a small hole with a large field could produce a spike so large it'd be too strong (energy potential-wise) that it'd simply destroy whatever was opening the hole, shields or not]. This'd destroy the ship before it even left warpspace, or even opened a 'successful' pan-dimensional breach. Then we can assume the tiny-rift closes of it's own accord.

Also: the only folks known to have dodged Battlefleet Solar and Battlefleet Mars are the Necrons, in the form of five light cruisers. And they were only stopped because they themselves stopped.

Xisor