Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Campaign Advice
Closed Thread
Old 09 Nov 2006, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Campaign Advice

Me and my friend (his name here is kanmu) want to fight a campaign, maybe a year or so in the future when we're better at the game. I've overheard there are rules for campaigns, which I will look up, but we basically want to make a plot, and make pivital battles that influence the plot, leading to an inevitable climax and a victory for one side. He's a hybrid tau player and I'm somewhat vanilla tyranids. I had a BASIC idea for a campaign plot. Is it decent?

A tau ship is on a routine mission to do something. I don't know what that something is yet. On the way home to planet Tau'n, they were given a peripheral objective: To retrieve some tyranids that had been "trapped" in a special tau thingy (i dont know wut kind of thingy- it probably took a VERY small tyranid landing craft or something). The tyranid ship thingy with the nids in it that had been captured were experimented on. keep in mind, the tau ship was orbiting the planet around which the trap had beemn seet, because they were monitering tyranid activity- an imperial desert world was being sieged by a lesser splinter fleet. SOMEHOW, a clever lictor bastard gets loose (another plot hole, i don't know how.) Once it's loose, it begins stealthilly creeping, letting out various genestealers. before you know it, the tau vessel is on red alert, and the relatively small craft that was captured may not have been big by tyranid standards, but it was BIG ENOUGH! Thousands of gaunts are now rampaging through the ship's hull. superficial but signifigant damage makes the tau touch the ship down on the planet, and now they're in a WORLD of hurt. the tau vessel has repelled the nids that were in it, but NOW must repell the nids on the planet where it has crashed- or at least repell them untill they can get airborne again. The campaign wll be riddled with kill team missions, including a mission where several crisis suits led by a commander must eliminate key tyranid gestation pool thingies (or whattever the hell nids come out of), and the more that are destroyed, the less points the tyranids can use in the last epic siege.

o, by the way, the nids are captured because the tau want to create a virus that can be used to repell them

Is this a decent PREMISE? My fluff knowledge is horrible, so i need help with suggestions or filling in plot aps. i know the details suck. be honest. is this savable?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Campaign Advice

So basically, a whole heap of Tyranids get lose from a laboratory and start killing things?

Sounds fair enough. You might want to make a few changes to it though. For example, the Tau wouldn't keep that many Tyranids on board one of their vessels. How's this.

Onboard a Tau ship is a number of Tyranid specimens, captured from a recent battle. This ship stops to resupply at a small Tau colony world. Somehow, a Genestealer manages to escape, and hide aboard a supply shuttle going down to the world. The Genestealer starts a Genestealer cult, and all hell breaks lose. To put down the cult, reinforcements are summoned from T'au. By the time the reinforcements have arrived, the growing Genestealer cult has summoned a Tyranid Splinter Fleet to the world. Although the Tyranid fleet is defeated, the planet's surface is completley overrun, to such an extent that the only viable solution is Exterminatus. However, during the battle, one of the Tau ships was shot down, and forced to make an emergency landing on the planet. Onboard this ship was prominent member of the Ethereal Caste. A strike team of Fire Warriors is dropped onto the planet to.....

A.) Take out some form of anti - air defence so the fleet can land and pick them all up.
B.) Defend the ship long enough for it to be repaired.

How does that sound?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 12 Nov 2006, 04:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! IM GONNA ADD U TO BUDDIES TOMMAROW (GOTTA GO TO SLEEP) sorry for caps lock/just amazed. PS: wuts the time frame? howlong does it take for the cult to form? howlong wud it take for the fleet to arrive? THANKS GREAT ADVICE!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Glad I could help. As for your question... (looks up a few books)

It's actually really hard to tell. The only fluff I have accesss to refers to Genestealer cults on Imperial worlds. As the Tau family system is different, I have no idea how long it would take the cult to form.

The Splinter Fleet will only arrive once the Genestealer Cult reaches a certain size. A small cult dosen't have a large enough psychic presences for the Tyranids to pick up (this stops them from travelling to barren or scarcely populated worlds). In the case of Ichar IV (an Imperial planet), the Fleet arrived about a fortnight after the destruction of a massive Genestealer cult. As Tau space travel is relativley slow, the Tau probably wouldn't arrive until after the Tyranids.

PS: You're welcome to add me to your Buddies list, but what exactly does it do? I've never used it before.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 15 Nov 2006, 19:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Heh, guess I might as well join this thread. I'm the guy campaigning against Chronic.

How is the Tau family system different?

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Tau have very little (is any) psychic presence in the Warp. I'm not sure if Synapse has anything to do with the Warp, or if Genestealers have anything to do with it, but that might be an answer.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 06:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was under the impression they had a much more communal lifestyle. The parents weren't solely responsible for raising the child. More like a permanent preschool.

I could be wrong however.

Well I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Tau have very little (is any) psychic presence in the Warp.

This would be a problem. Because if the psychic beacon didn't get large enough then the Tyranid fleet would never arrive. Still, we can only assume that the Genestealer part of a cultist's heritage gives him some psychic presence.

Old 17 Nov 2006, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The world could have a human population
Old 17 Nov 2006, 13:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicApendage
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! IM GONNA ADD U TO BUDDIES TOMMAROW (GOTTA GO TO SLEEP) sorry for caps lock/just amazed. PS: wuts the time frame? howlong does it take for the cult to form? howlong wud it take for the fleet to arrive? THANKS GREAT ADVICE!
Well you could stretch it out over how ever many missions. I would do six to keep it simple:
-1 genestealers breaks out, must be able to get* to a certain point on map
-2 genestealers have damaged the communications, the tau must hold a position for the game so they can call reinforcements from ship
-3 genestealer cults begin to form, the tau must try to kill certain genestealers (this will affect the forces next game) this will occur on the planet surface
-4 battle between tau and genestealer cults, winner gets his/her scenario chosen
-5a the tau have lost and must try to hold out while waiting for evacuation
-5b the tau have won and must try to push exterminate the cult
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 17 Nov 2006, 16:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuriousMonke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicApendage
Well you could stretch it out over how ever many missions. I would do six to keep it simple:
-1 genestealers breaks out, must be able to get to a certain point on map
-2 genestealers have damaged the communications, the tau must hold a position for the game so they can call reinforcements from ship
-3 genestealer cults begin to form, the tau must try to kill certain genestealers (this will affect the forces next game) this will occur on the planet surface
-4 battle between tau and genestealer cults, winner gets his/her scenario chosen
-5a the tau have lost and must try to hold out while waiting for evacuation
-5b the tau have won and must try to push exterminate the cult
Sounds good to me. We might even throw in some extra missions involving Kill Team. Now, that would be fun.. the missions wouldn't count as much as the main ones, but they'd cause subtle changes.

I might actually want to make a Crisis Team for those missions.. can anyone tell me if this is legal? I haven't played Kill Team, but the prospect intrigues me. My idea is that my Crisis Suits, who are in my regular 2,000 point army anyway, get involved in certain missions. Based on what happens in these missions, the Crisis Team and any other unit that I deploy in some other Kill Team mission, they all get a bit of fluff. Thus, my 2,000 point army is supposed to represent the forces that still exist after the epic battle at the end of that campaign.

Of course, this implies that I won. ;D

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Closed Thread