Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2006, 05:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,891
Default Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

Yeah... guess who just finished animal farm? I can see a few parallels to the story in tau fluff (Far-sight/Snowball especially. How much of what we know about him is propaganda?). I wonder if it didn't influence the fluff writers at all.

But think about it; its easy to imagine the Ethereals turning into dictators. The pressure of constant war would give them a (at first good) reason to put even more power into their own hands. They might like it, especially when they realise that the common tau is to stupid to rebel (Napoleon is always right!).

So; what if the Ethereals turned into (more) tyrannical dictators?
the_vilest_worm is offline  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 14:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 526
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

They already hold all the power, admittedly with the council of the heads of the other castes. This of course means they aren't true dictators even if they do hold all the power. Besides which the urge to gain more power is a human trait and last i checked the Tau aren't human. Indeed if the Tau empire was made up completely of humans it is highly likely it would fall into the power struggles as you describe. But as we can see that isn't so.

Incidentally i fail to see why you keep considering the Tau "Stupid" I quite throughly refuted your position on another thread :P
Solourus is offline  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Forlorns Hope
Posts: 109
Send a message via MSN to Adm. Constantine Send a message via Yahoo to Adm. Constantine
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

The Tau are kinda like Asian's, they both have a high sense of honor(with Tau not killing themselves after defeat, or charging anyone who insults them)

They have a peace-set mind, so if a Civil War did break out, it would be a "Cold War".

the Tau are not stupid, or why would they have his technology and use it properly?

Orks are Stupid(along with 'nids) though Orks actually build things that work, and use them.

There's my say.
__________________
Ork Statistiks:
Games played: 7
Games won: 0
Games lost: 6(We'll be bak! we'z neva lose!)
Games tied: 1

Imperial Guard Statistics:
Games played: 4
Games won: 2
Games lost: 1
Games tied: 1
Adm. Constantine is offline  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 22:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 282
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

I think that the tau are not under complete bloodymindedly controlled by auns i think they revere them because they are the wisest of the five caste and the one that has the least effect on society otherthan rulership so they are equaly respectful of each of the other castes. And besides Gws probably never make tau evil for one reason: every race needs a hook. Every one of the races has one, for tau it is there distopian leanings
__________________
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig
[quote=crazedmongoose2003]
Generally the archetype within fantasy and sci-fi is that if a character looks good, then he/she is good, if they're ugly then they're probably evil. (I'm looking at YOU TOLKIEN!!)
Radio-star is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2006, 00:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,891
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
Incidentally i fail to see why you keep considering the Tau "Stupid" I quite throughly refuted your position on another thread :P
Tau are unimaginative and have more or less no personalities. They are held in an absolute state of terror by the eathreals, who use the threat on mon'tau to maintain power. Smart people don't fall for that.

As for the tau not having human traits, I'd like to remind you this is GW fluff we're talking about. :P
And judging by Shadowsun's destruction of far-sight's statue, I'd say they defiantly can be jealous.

Quote:
They have a peace-set mind, so if a Civil War did break out, it would be a "Cold War".
Not really. They spend allot of time and effort reinforcing this idea, but if you look at what they've actually done its been a very bloody empire. They use negotiations, but they are by and large expansionists.
the_vilest_worm is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2006, 04:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 526
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The vilest worm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
Incidentally i fail to see why you keep considering the Tau "Stupid" I quite throughly refuted your position on another thread* :P
Tau are unimaginative and have more or less no personalities.
Really? I dunno Farsight and shadowsun seem to have personality enough, Puratide was really imaginative in his battle tactics. So i guess every example we have of individual Tau seems to contradict you.

Quote:
They are held in an absolute state of terror by the eathreals, who use the threat on mon'tau to maintain power.
Hmm again i find no proof of this, you may as well start telling us the sky will fall on our heads tomorrow. Both claims will have equal validity.

Quote:
Smart people don't fall for that.
Just as a side note, i suppose all the people who supported Hitlers resume were stupid as well? Quite the contrary in fact quite allot of "intellectuals" supported him

Quote:
As for the tau not having human traits, I'd like to remind you this is GW fluff we're talking about. :P
And judging by Shadowsun's destruction of far-sight's statue, I'd say they defiantly can be jealous.
Remember the Codex are written from the Imperials point of view* Which is no doubt to lead to some humanization in the written material. Besides which i wasn't denying the Tau "human" emotions. Mearly pointing out their motovations for doing what they do could be quite differnet. incidentally the urge to gain more power isn't an emotion any way* :P


Quote:
They have a peace-set mind, so if a Civil War did break out, it would be a "Cold War".

Not really. They spend allot of time and effort reinforcing this idea, but if you look at what they've actually done its been a very bloody empire. They use negotiations, but they are by and large expansionists.
I would like to point out that the Tau have not ONCE been the aggressors. They have never been the ones to start off the conflict. So your statement's that the empire is very bloody while true it is not because of the nature of the empire itself rather the nature of the universe at large.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note you are making statement's which go against the general census of many people here. Now this is your view point and that is fine. But you are using it as if its hard fact, stating it over and over again. Even though you have given no proof for it or even debated it, heck you didn't even respond to my post of why i think the Tau aren't stupid as you claim. Any way its just slightly annoying :-\

Solourus is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2006, 04:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,891
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

You know what? This is way off topic. Continuing this debate would be petty. That's bad enough in real life, but over the internet? Lets just drop it; I have (and maintain) my view that the Eathreals are dictators, you just believe.... whatever the hell it is you believe. :P
the_vilest_worm is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2006, 04:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bonn, Germany
Posts: 2,725
Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
I would like to point out that the Tau have not ONCE been the aggressors.
Please. This could not be farther from the truth. Even if they didn't engage in military aggression right away, their motives are of an aggressive nature. The fact that they are expansionists contradicts you right there.
__________________
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!


sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2006, 04:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 526
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
I would like to point out that the Tau have not ONCE been the aggressors.
Please. This could not be farther from the truth. Even if they didn't engage in military aggression right away, their motives are of an aggressive nature. The fact that they are expansionists contradicts you right there.
Any species that achieves space travel seeks to expand the number of worlds (or area) it inhabits so all spices (to an extent) can be described as expansionists. So when you call them expansionists what are you trying to prove? As to their aggressive nature. All evidence points out that if a species the Tau meet truly do not want to be a part of their empire they are left alone, so long as they do not harm or attack the Tau empire itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The vilest worm
You know what? This is way off topic. Continuing this debate would be petty. That's bad enough in real life, but over the internet? Lets just drop it; I have (and maintain) my view that the Eathreals are dictators, you just believe.... whatever the hell it is you believe. :P
This seems to be an admition that not only cant you refute my beliefs you cant prove your own :P I don't see why you wont discuss it, if you don't every time we end up on the same topic we will have an argument on the subject and continually refuting your points and then not getting an answer can get REALY annoying. If you don't care to discuss/prove our points then stop stating them as facts and talk about them as your beliefs
Solourus is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2006, 05:16   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Could the tau become a dysatopian regime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The vilest worm
You know what? This is way off topic. Continuing this debate would be petty. That's bad enough in real life, but over the internet? Lets just drop it; I have (and maintain) my view that the Eathreals are dictators, you just believe.... whatever the hell it is you believe. :P
You are of course welcome to believe whatever you wish. But if you can't support it with anything that is actually there in the official material, I don't see why you are debating it. If you don't think the Tau have any personality, just read any of the Black Library material in which they appear.

The Tau are often the aggressors in conflicts. But that does not necessarily make them evil. Honestly, I don't have any problem with the Tau being a shade of grey. I just don't understand why people try to make them out to be worse than the Imperium.
khanaris is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Emperor's Finest - Regime Change. Wargamer Fluff/Stories 9 25 Mar 2010 13:58
All hail Krull...and his Glorious new regime! Tom Norman Showcase 22 01 Feb 2007 16:56