Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some tau questions, devilfish gravity drives, etc
Closed Thread
Old 27 Oct 2006, 01:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan
Default Some tau questions, devilfish gravity drives, etc

Alright so I'm in the process of modelling my tau detachment that was abandoned on this hostile planet for the greater good... blah blah blah. My plan was to have the Devilfish's left engine failing/ in disrepair so that it sagged a bit. I was wondering exactly what effects this would have on its flight. And if there is any other anti grav points underneath the ship in certain spots because that would affect how it would look.

Also what does a xv25 stealth suit look like underneath the dome thingy? One of my suits is going to be broken open.. not very stealthy :-[
Old 27 Oct 2006, 02:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan
Default Re: Some tau questions, devilfish gravity drives, etc

Well think of it almost as a pathfinder or a xv15 with out it and..I would guess with out the standard armor wear Tau have amongst their torso.

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
Old 09 Nov 2006, 21:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well common Tau Tech theory (as discussed in depth in this forum) holds the following technical 'facts':

The little ball things all over Tau equipment is a Gravitic Compensator; something that lessens the weight of what its attached to. The Devilfish has a BIG one on each wing. and more scattered throughout. This is part of the hovering mechanism.

The long, vent things that look like venician blinds under the tank are the lift jets, and their intakes are the oval panels on top of the wings. These, combined with the gravitic compensators, and additional controls from the engine pods (which would almost always have a downward tilt to balance the craft level) is what makes the devilfish hover.

XV25 stealth suits' hoods are much like the Sniper controllers 'playstation' ;D , only added to the suit as a permanent helmet. So, think of a helmetless XV25 as a shadowsun model, or a beefed up XV15 suit, with that sniper controller thing added as an afterthought. that should help your modelling

A sagged engine pod is a bit odd for an engine in disprepair... but i am curious how you plan to 'sag' it (heat gun?). A better way to make it look rundown yet functional is to 'Star Wars' it.. meaning cutting away nearly all the access panels, and leave the internal components exposed, with bits of wire harnesses hanging out, and leaking oil lines, etc.... This may be a lot of work custom making the internal components, but i think it would be a great way to show an engine thats been repaired 1000 times... and would add a lot of character to the model.

I like the concept of an abandoned Tau detachment thats still struggling on on a hostile world... so dont let it hang with a 'blah blah blah'.. gimme some backstory/info, please!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 14:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like the ideas you have.

How much of the stealth helmet r u taking off?

And for the DV, i would suggest breaking open a cheap calulator and put a peice of ti inside the exposed engine.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 04:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

I guess I wasn't clear enough about the devilfish. The engine would have some guttedness to it, however it wouldn't be melted. That isn't what I meant by sagging.

I guess you should imagine that one sides gravity compensators/lift jets are failing so in flight the backleft side would be lower than the rest of the tank, or something to that effect.

I've taken the entire helmet off of one of the xv25s however for another one I am planning to just have a big chunk blown out, so that you could see the right half of the chestplate underneath.

As for more fluff. The general idea of the world is that it is covered in giant forests. Some similar to great redwoods. This makes conventional long range fighting near impossible. More than just the devilfishes jets are going bad. 2 of the crises suits jet-packs have failed so they have received some leg enhancements to replace their lost mobility. Their deepstrike is achieved by spikes/blades attached so that they may climb the trees and jump from the giant branches down into the enemy lines. I also included a sniper team that provides covering fire when raids are going down, they don't use normal light scanners to see the enemy as the trees eventually overlap each other, so they use other forms of "sight" and merely shoot the rails through the trunks of the trees. I think I've decided that it is an Imperial world so that I may use traitorous Gue'vesa sometime. The gue'vesa will wear the armor of fallen firewarriors, which will be in HEAVY disrepair . Potential for broadsides with ASS for higher points than my 750pt army for the same reasons as the sniper team.

heres the list I'm using http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=34765.0
Old 23 Nov 2006, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you ahve some great ideasd going. The damage is probably going to be achieved mostly through your paintjob.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 04:28   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would guess it would involve a significant reduction in speed. If the compensators on the left side were damaged along with the engine, the Devilfish would have a lot of trouble using the engines to steer, and would have to adjust the flight controls in order to even fly in a straight line. You might consider attaching some kind of jury-rigged secondary engine, possibly taken from a Piranha sprue or Tetra.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 01:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Coudn't the onboard computer simply calculate the difference and applie it to the controls? the ship wouldn't hande as well, granted. But steering would at least be as easy. Also if the Engine pod sank then the vehcles center of mass would change, this effect would be enhanced by the fact that more of the craft that was prevoiously lightend by the knoby thing would fall outside of its anti-grav field, for lack of a better term, and the crafts hover mechanism would get really screwed up.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 26 Nov 2006, 02:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

OK, if the left belly jet (intake and louvers on the left wing was dead, and the entire craft had to maintain a balance (and assuming the gravitic compensator made the craft 'light' enough to make it compensateable) Then the left engine pod at the rear would have to be at a truly weird angle...

Looking at the left engine pod, from the left side... we can agree that at rest the engine exhaust points at 3:00, right? I like to tilt the exhaust up to about 2:00, giving the eingies and transport in general a more intimidating look.... Anyway, fluff-wise, we can assume that at a steady hover, with the underwing jets lifting the nose, the rear engine pods would be pointing downward at a 4:00 or 5:00 position. You follow me so far??

Now, if the left wing lifter was out, and we want the jets to still hover the craft, I would have to say that the right engine pod would be at 5:00, and the left engine would be at a truly funky 7:30.. making a 'triangle' of lift.

Problem is.... this would be an ugly, crippled looking devilfish...

OK : I'm just gonna throw all that stuff above away, and give you a shortcut fix: Go buy a Landspeeder kit. In it you will find a flying base unlike the others: with a ball and socket gimble tip. A tip thats strong enough to hold the entire model. I just so happen to have a pic of a 'tipped' hammerhead at a dynamic angle to give you an idea... just let the entire craft droop to the left/foreward a bit, and call it done at that:

.. neat huh?? I tried for like 2 hours to find these tilta-flying bases seperately, but to no avail (maybe battlewagonbitz.com, where apparently, they open up kits and sell out the pieces.. erm.. piecemeal)... hehe, I happen to have archive pics of these special flying bases as well, to give you a better idea what I'm talking about:

Old 26 Nov 2006, 05:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

The Piranha kits also have those ball-and-socket things.. at least they used to.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Closed Thread