Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anyone feel . . . .
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Anyone feel . . . .

Yeah, it's another one of these posts that rag on the tech level of 40k. I've taken to watching this program called Future Weapons (it's on Discovery), and it shows all these crazy weapons, like the MOAB (mother of all bombs) with a 150-metre blast radius, they have anti-anti-tank protection that detonates outward when an incoming projectile closes in, which blows away the incoming projectile. We've got infra-red goggles, red-dot sights, bombs that separate into 40 self-detonating pieces that scan for targets by themselves and detonate, coverig an area that will annihilate 4 tanks. Even the M1 Abrams or the Merkava make the Leman Russ pale in comparison. The NLOS cannon makes the Basilisk seem like a WWI field howitzer. We have a digital battlefield where everyone knows where everyone else is. We've got sniper rifles that can shoot targets over two klicks away (record set by a Canadian, woot!).

How come we never hear about these things when we tlak about 40k? There's been 39 millenia between now and then, they must have made SOME progress, right?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Anyone feel . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrion
Yeah, it's another one of these posts that rag on the tech level of 40k. I've taken to watching this program called Future Weapons (it's on Discovery), and it shows all these crazy weapons, like the MOAB (mother of all bombs) with a 150-metre blast radius, they have anti-anti-tank protection that detonates outward when an incoming projectile closes in, which blows away the incoming projectile. We've got infra-red goggles, red-dot sights, bombs that separate into 40 self-detonating pieces that scan for targets by themselves and detonate, coverig an area that will annihilate 4 tanks. Even the M1 Abrams or the Merkava make the Leman Russ pale in comparison. The NLOS cannon makes the Basilisk seem like a WWI field howitzer. We have a digital battlefield where everyone knows where everyone else is. We've got sniper rifles that can shoot targets over two klicks away (record set by a Canadian, woot!).

How come we never hear about these things when we tlak about 40k? There's been 39 millenia between now and then, they must have made SOME progress, right?
Well, humanity at one point had technology several orders of magnitude more advanced than what they have in the current era of 40k. There was a massive period of decline prior to the Emperor's emergence on Earth. Humanity's level of technology in 40k has not been steadily rising for 40,000 years.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

yes... there was the Dark Age of technology where everything got blasted back to the stone age...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:21   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

And don't forget that 40k has:

Virus bombs
melta bombes
power armour
terminator armour
psychic swords
lasers
digi-weapons
skull-drones
plasma guns
the leman russ
everythin one of those fancy assassins has
and a truck load of smart stuff on mars
titans
power weapons
boltguns
the golden throne
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Hey, don't rag on the Russ. I'm pretty sure a Russ could give an Abrams a run for it's money. And IR goggles? They're widely used in the Guard. Same with red dot sights. The question is, what do we have that 40k can't surpass?
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Even the M1 Abrams or the Merkava make the Leman Russ pale in comparison. The NLOS cannon makes the Basilisk seem like a WWI field howitzer.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The NLOS-C apparently has double the range of the Earthshaker, but 40k is known for the inconsistency of it's rules. Comparing the 120mm smoothbore of an M1 to a Leman Russ is unfair, as the Battle Cannon is a medium-area blast weapon, not a point-target cannon. If you want to look at anti-tank, let's look at the Vanquisher. It's shell wouldn't damage an Abrams - it would annihilate one. As far as Imperial Armour states, the Vanquisher AT shell can penetrate any known form of armour, vehicular or otherwise.

Oh, wait, the Imperium doesn't need tank-mounted weapons for effective AT. A lascannon might only make a football sized hole, but it'll make the same sized hole in a strip of canvas as it will a modern battleship.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, some of it seems old and archaic, and some is way more advanced. Example: I'm 100% sure that an Abrams could take out a 'Russ. Then again, I don't see any giant robots containing nearly-dead bodies walking around today. On one last note, I hate it when people try to compare 40k tech and fluff to modern day specs.... too inconsistant to measure :\

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 23 Oct 2006, 22:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
Example: I'm 100% sure that an Abrams could take out a 'Russ.
What makes you so sure? As far as I can tell, the Russ and the Abrams are quite comparable. They're both gyroscoped, both use targetting systems and both are reasonably mobile.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 23 Oct 2006, 22:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've heard somewhere that the Leman Russ uses nuclear technology in its battle cannon rounds. Its armour is way in advance of anything we can produce today. Sure it lacks plenty of other stuff, but it is probably far more fuel efficient than today's tanks (it can run on wood for goodness' sake) and has far thicker armour, amongst other stuff.

As has been said before: mankind has not been advancing steadily right up to 40k. There have been a number of dark ages (1200BC, 400AD, 25000AD in real history/fluff, plus possibly other fluff ones we don't know of) that have set our technology and civilisation back. Add to that a crazy religious cult that jealously guards all the Imperium's technological knowledge, and of course the Imperium may seem at times technologically backward. But when they bring out the big guns...

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Obviously 40k has a higher level of technology- this debate is only happening because:

1) The war mentality of 40k is not geared towards developing technology.

Pretty much every army has a napoleonic war strategy- just toss more meat into the grinder.

The only races that can't do this (ie small populations) are the Tau and Eldar- by no coincidence the ones who rely on technology.

2) 40k also has a high level of technology- genetically engineered space marines, cogitators, plasma- we just have a hard time seeing it becuase it is hidden behind ritual. Gods of the machines and all that.

A servo-skull has some major computational power, but all we see is a flying bone.

3) The ability for technology to be competing with magic.

Can't figure out how to build a faster-than-light communications network? Get some astropaths.

Need some heavy infantry right this second? Summon some warp spawned demons.

And these can be mixed- ie. warp travel in ships, pretty much all Eldar tech.
Closed Thread