Warhammer 40K Forum

are there cars in 40k?
Closed Thread
Old 13 Oct 2006, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default are there cars in 40k?

as the title.
i thought that they would use huge busses that are super long
and have like 10 cars to them. or mabey like mono rails or something.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Re: are there cars in 40k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
as the title.
I remember in Warriors of Ultramar it said the Human civilians used Trucks... And there're civvy-models of the Landspeeder.
Only then your life I will save
Old 13 Oct 2006, 00:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Probably. If there's an STC template for some more futuristic car, they're probably everywhere. I haven't looked much into fluff for Imperial civilians, though I have read the Fluff Bible, and I recall that petrol is still used in certain forms, though there's mostly plasma cell technology. However, one has to realize the Fluff Bible is very outdated. If it does hold true, though, i'd guess that they run like electric cars, only more Imperial-esque in appearance.

Also, I highly doubt that if they had cars, they would fly. Look at the Land Speeder, for instance. I think that they forgot a key component to it that would allow it to keep sustained flight for very long periods, like an anti-grav engine. They probably still go on land, with any other travel being done with space vehicles or atmospheric craft.

Thus, if there were cars in the 41st millenium, they'd look like this: take a standard hybrid car from today and get some Hot Topic goths to decal it. Voila. An Imperial car.

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 13 Oct 2006, 01:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Actaully, a lot of stuff in the Fluff Bible hasn't been contradicted...yet. That said, I doubt that cars would be all gothic looking. I just think it's retarted that whenever someone thinks of something Imperial, it's always all gothic with spires and arches ect..., when in reality most of it isn't. I'd think that car models would vary from planet to planet, like some high-tech worlds have some forms of anti-grav vehicles while lower tech worlds would use ground cars.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 13 Oct 2006, 02:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

what is the fluff bible and hwere can i read it?
Old 13 Oct 2006, 02:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luy22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
as the title.
I remember in Warriors of Ultramar it said the Human civilians used Trucks... And there're civvy-models of the Landspeeder.
That doesn't sound right... Landspeeders are very hard to produce IIRC.

I think there would be various kinds of groundcars, trucks, busses, etc.; boxy and utilitarian like anything STC, but certainly not gothic; the only gothic vehicle in the Imperium that I know of is the Pipe-Organ Exorcist.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 03:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Imperial cities all have cars. They are very similar to cars today, they run on wheels (as the Imperium doesn't rely on skimmers very much), and are everywhere. A few 40k novels I've read that have business in Imperial cities will have some description, somewhere, of people riding cars (to work, to home, etc).

I've seen a picture of a Tau city where there are non-war related vehicles flying through a city (transports, cars), whatever they are they have some basic relations to the car, as in purpose. And Commorragh's (Dark Eldar) skies are filled with little jet-like creations, that are in no way related to war, that serve as cars as much as normal Skyboards and Jetbikes in city limits.

I'm not sure about other armies besides those three (Tau, Dark Eldar, and Imperialists), but there are cars in 40k. Whether they hover, fly, or roll on tracks.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 03:59   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
I'm not sure about other armies besides those three (Tau, Dark Eldar, and Imperialists), but there are cars in 40k. Whether they hover, fly, or roll on tracks.
Orks, obviously. But I doubt Eldar make all that much use of civilian personal transports, instead favoring public transportation around the Craftworld. And Necrons just teleport.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 04:04   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Well, there's grav-trains in the Tau Empire, and probably some civilian-style Piranhas or something similar.

In Ravenor Returned there are personal ground-cars as well as trucks and public transportation.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 04:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
In Ravenor Returned there are personal ground-cars as well as trucks and public transportation.
One of the books I was actually referring to. A good book, that digs deep into common Imperial life of citizens in the 41st millenium.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Closed Thread