Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why only humanoids?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Oct 2006, 22:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Why only humanoids?

OKay, let's face it, with the exception of the Bugs, all the races in 40k are basically humanoid, all having two legs, two arms, a head and a torso, with their privates in pretty much the same place (speaking figuratively for Necrons). Why is this? Is it just to ease the conveyance of emotion and somesuch?

Thanks
Old 11 Oct 2006, 22:58   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: Why only humanoids?

Its the classic science fiction writer's/artist's cop-out. Its easier to take the human form and change it subtly, than it is to make an alien all gribbly and tentacly and... well, alien. You'll also notice that the Tyranids aren't truly alien. Their heads, for one, are pretty much similar to the human skull. They seem like an insane amalgam of all sorts of different animals. Which, in a way I suppose they are.

Of course GW published Xenology as some form of excuse for making almost everything humanoid :

And why is it "Humanoid?" for all we know, we're the ones that are D'jab'-noid. Damn you anthrocentrism!!
Old 12 Oct 2006, 00:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

With the exceptions of 'nids, necrons & tau. Most races were created by the old ones who might have not been very creative at making new species.

Also, if the creators made the other races too alien new people might be like "What's that?" "It's an alien." "No it's not, it's some kind of messed up plant(or something like that)."
Old 12 Oct 2006, 03:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

maybe because the head, torso, 2 arms and 2 legs is just superior to other things?
Old 12 Oct 2006, 03:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrion
OKay, let's face it, with the exception of the Bugs, all the races in 40k are basically humanoid, all having two legs, two arms, a head and a torso, with their privates in pretty much the same place (speaking figuratively for Necrons). Why is this? Is it just to ease the conveyance of emotion and somesuch?

Thanks
Can you point out any game system, fantastic science fiction story or fantasy story or anything of any kind that has created creatures and other races in it that are not humanoid?

And that is not a rhetorical question, I'd seriously be interested to know.

Cheers!
Old 12 Oct 2006, 03:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's for the same reason elf chicks always wear bikinis and have huge tits. It's human aesthetics. GW is in the business of selling stuff and they want to sell things that appeal to their human audience. We know humans and we know (Earth) animals. Do any of you think the Space Amoebas would sell well?

There's also the problem of equipment and technology. It's much easier to just give everyone various stages of human technology and let that be that. Everyone can relate to it and understand what's going on almost from the uptake. Doesn't matter what game you're talking about, when you hear about something called Upgrade: Adrenal Glands, what do you think it does? Also, if it looks human it probably thinks like a human, too, right? Tyranids look like hive animals and so probably act like them, right?

Coming up with a truly original species requires a lot of thought and a lot of creativity and then doesn't really yield anything since people aren't going to be attracted to it.

Personally, I'm fine with it. If you spend so much time pontificating about your new species you'll probably get dragged into the "New Elf Subrace Fanfiction Trap."
Old 12 Oct 2006, 04:04   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrion

Thanks
Can you point out any game system, fantastic science fiction story or fantasy story or anything of any kind that has created creatures and other races in it that are not humanoid?

Cheers!
The Descent: Freespace computer games have an alien race called the Shivans that are really really alien looking.

A Shivan
Old 12 Oct 2006, 04:26   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX

Cheers!
This will take you back a bit. Star Frontiers, a TSR RPG, had a race called Dralasites that were pretty cool. Basically they were really large but not very gooey amoebas.

Star Trek had a few. There was the silicoid race that dug tunnels through rock lightning quick. The episode was best remembered for the mind meld Spock made with one. PAAAIINNNNN!!!!!
Old 12 Oct 2006, 06:29   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well lets take ascientific approach shall we?

we are the smartest rac on earth, we fit the humaniod desription.

Then we have chipmunks, again humanoid- they use tools, have the ability to use developed language and can create culture, as well as co-operation.

I highly think that abig massa tentacles is going to be in a sufficient state to develop into a sentients life form.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 07:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Because this game was created by mortal men, who like to have fun. It also draws heavily from mythology, except in space. And what mythical races havn't been mostly humanoid?

Space Elves vs Space Knights vs Space Militia vs Space Orcs vs Space Evil Elves vs Space Demons vs Space Evil Knights vs ...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread