Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can Space Marines love?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Oct 2006, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Can Space Marines love?

Can they? (And no, no comments about them loving the emperor lol) I do remember seeing a pic of a SM kissing a sister of battle.
Only then your life I will save
Old 10 Oct 2006, 22:06   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Can Space Marines love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luy22
Can they? (And no, no comments about them loving the emperor lol) I do remember seeing a pic of a SM kissing a sister of battle.
I would guess not in the romantic sense, at least not for most chapters. Years of mental conditioning, combat trauma, and a fundamentally unstable biochemistry are going to massively screw with any romantic notions they might have. I would guess they can still feel the emotion, but in a more platonic sense related to their camaraderie and faith. They are basically warrior monks, after all.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I always thought that they were chemically (or physically) steralized, but apparently that's not so. The degree of chemical and psychotherapy they undergo would probably mess them up, though.

That said, Salamander Marines live amongst the people and have families... considering recruitment for Marinehood takes place largely at prepubecent ages, I doubt they'd have wives and children before becoming Astares.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

Salamanders got wives? Never knew that...
Only then your life I will save
Old 10 Oct 2006, 23:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It actually depends very heavily on the chapter. As was mentioned the Salamanders have relations with the "civilian" population, the Ultramarine's have close ties to the people of there worlds (families being able to point directly to ancestral ties with the marines), and I know of at least one Space Wolf novel where a marine was attracted to an Inquisitor (no relations however he mentioned a few times she was distracting).

Some of the chapters are too monastic to even consider something as base as physical pleasures (Black Templars) but there are also a few chapters out there that have no problems getting all liquored up, so it stands to reason that at least a few have children/intercourse.

Think it really depends on who's writing the book to be completely honest.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 11 Oct 2006, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

I'd Imagine that the space wolves have allot of Illegitimate children, They are Vikings ;D

Besides, Everyone knows the emperors finest are super studs.
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 03:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Can they love? Yes.

They never will though. Battle trauma, psyche conditioning, and social stigma...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 11 Oct 2006, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, it's not as though they would have a hard time... "I am a chosen son of the emperor, sleep with me."
Old 11 Oct 2006, 05:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Thats yet another thing. Before they could learn to flirt, they got all souped up and seperated from ladyfolk for all their life. What would he say to a hot Bolter Bitch?

"I have strange, heretical urges for you, servant of Slaanesh!"

They are taught from an young age that their sexual feelings are a distraction from their duty and EVIL, as well as making them succeptible to Slaanesh.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 11 Oct 2006, 05:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Honestly, I always thought that the transformation made them sterile.... I guess not all chapters choose to "fix" their marines, though

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Closed Thread