Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Favourite fluff piece
Closed Thread
Old 24 Sep 2006, 07:27   #31 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Favourite fluff piece

The interesting thing is though, is that there is quite alot in the 40K world that the fluff makes out to be just as good/better then Marines. For example, Chaos Marines, Aspect Warriors, and Necrons. Not to mention some of the larger Tyranid beasties.

It seems to me that almost everything in the 41st millenium that isn't a horde army is made out to be unnaturally powerful. And when everything is unnatural, nothing is.

On topic: My favourite fluff piece would have to be the one where Brother Captain Tycho succumbs to the Black Rage at armegeddon (one of the Chapter Approved's). Alternatively, the story attached to the battle report in the Cityfight Codex in which a squad of Guardsmen comes up against a Chaos lord. The Guardmen fire at him, and a lasgun round finds a weak point in the armour at his knee. He falls over, and as a result the krak missile that was about to hit him in the head misses. ;D

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 24 Sep 2006, 15:20   #32 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wargamer is right, Space Marines are godly. They are called the Angles of Death for a reason. But you have to remember, there are roughly only a million in the entire galaxy, some chapters are under strength, but then there are a couple of chapters that go way over the 1000 marine limit (Wolves and Templars)

I remember in Kill Team a single Deathwatch marine came in and saved the day he took out many battlesuits just by himself.

And Chaos marines are even stronger, it took a heck of a lot for Loken to kill that one infested marine.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 20:17   #33 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine13
I remember in Kill Team a single Deathwatch marine came in and saved the day he took out many battlesuits just by himself.
Kill team any black library book is to marine fluff as firearrior is to tau fluff.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 20:18   #34 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea but that one Deathwatch marine could well be at an experience and skill level of a captain or better and the infested marine was (according to the description) possessed by what appeared to be a greater daemon. Which would explain why he was so tough to bring down and nurgle in general is tough.

A lot of the fluff contradicts itself on how powerful marines are and a lot of the fluff just focus' on exceptional individuals, captains, veterans, heros where an average marine is much, much less powerful than that.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 20:38   #35 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, i Kill Team it was a DeathWatch marine that was brought by specific request of an Inquisitor, so he had to be a top notch guy. But my main point is that there really isn't a lot of Marines in the Galaxy. There are countless guards and only a million mairnes, they better be good for what they do.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 21:28   #36 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Khanaris, your problem is you assume all races are equal. They are not.

To give an example; Ten Marines could walk down a street into a full platoon of Guardsmen, all firing Lasguns, and slaughter the entire Platoon without breaking a sweat.

If ten Guardsmen did that it would be Fanboyish. If ten Orks did that it would be Fanboyish... if anyone except Marines did it, it would be Fanboyish. The reason for this is that Marines are supposed to be nigh on invincible as far as your average soldier is concerned.

Now one question about Firewarrior is this; where the roles reversed, would it work?

Well, no. One Marine taking on an entire army, boarding a battleship near enough single-handedly, blowing up a Titan and killing a Daemon Prince all by his lonesome would be Fanboyish. Firewarrior was a blatant example of "this is Kais. Kais is going to win." Admittedly, it had to be because of the game, but still...

To reiterate; the fact Marines can succeed where Firewarriors would fail does not mean Marines are Fanboy, it means Marines are better.
My problem is that I think the very idea that the Marines (or Eldar) are so much better is in itself fanboyish, sometimes on the part of GW itself. I think Marines should be portrayed as they are in the game. One Marine might be a match for a dozen or more ordinary men. But puffing that up to hundreds is fanboyish to me, and I don't enjoy reading about it constantly. To much of it has inflated how effective they appear in the fluff. I see Marines as the ultimate soldiers, but hardly one-man-armies. I don't see how blowing the average marine up to the status of an invincible war god is any less fanboyish than doing the same for Kais. I don't think all the races should be equal. I just think they should all be represented fairly well by the game.

I don't like Fire Warrior as a book or as a game. But unusually heroic and capable individuals are going to present in any race. The average marine is exponentially more powerful than the average Fire Warrior, but that doesn't mean the Tau (or regular humans) don't have dramatic prodigies of their own that can best Marines in some aspects. Kais is unusual for a Fire Warrior. Such things make good reading sometimes.
Closed Thread