Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

where oh where....
Closed Thread
Old 24 Mar 2006, 14:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default where oh where....

did the squats go?
is there any fluff to support them going? or did GW just cut them.
altthough i did not like them, what happend?

Old 24 Mar 2006, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: where oh where....

GW cut them off by saying that they are eaten by tyranids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 14:53   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Which is stupid, considering the spatial-geographic location of the Squat Homeworlds... they are all well clear of any Tyranid invasion. The closest is Leviathan, but even that doesn't come close enough.

In short, Squats aren't dead; they just changed their name to Demiurg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Mar 2006, 15:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Which is stupid, considering the spatial-geographic location of the Squat Homeworlds... they are all well clear of any Tyranid invasion. The closest is Leviathan, but even that doesn't come close enough.

In short, Squats aren't dead; they just changed their name to Demiurg.
..also known as 'They didn't see that plot hole in the road and fell through?' YEah, I sometimes wonder about that.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

They also changed them from being a sub-species of human to an older xenos race, and got rid of a lot of the "biker vikings in space" imagery (apparently). We really only have one or two pictures of them, though, and only their ships in BFG to give us a sense of the general appearance of their technology. We are also not sure whether or not the Demiurg occupy planets in the vicinity of the Maelstrom like the Squats did, or whether they are just nomadic. The Imperium usually encounters them harvesting resources in isolated systems far from known shipping lanes. Since the canon fluff states that the Squat homeworlds were destroyed by a splinter fleet, it is possible we can just assume that the Demiurg lost their home in the same region in a similar way.

(So really, their only similarity to the Squats is that they replaced them in the "short technologically-advanced miner" dwarf archetype. Fluff-wise, they are not really the same race (unless we retroactively assume the Squats never existed).
Old 24 Mar 2006, 22:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think I've spotted a Squat within a codex, secretly helping a SM chapter (what may bolster this sighting is this theory got locked on the GW forum and I got a Mod-warning (sheesh!!))

OK everyone break out their Dark Angels Codex (whaddaya mean you dont own every single codex there is!?), and turn to either the inside front cover, or Pg 16. You'll notice the little guy holding the Winged Helmet (The Lion Helm artifact).

Supporting bullets[list][*] The braided beard tassles peeking out through the robes, almost dragging on the ground[*] Called a "Watcher in the Dark", a native race to the Dark Angels 'Homeworld', a Fortress called "The Rock"
  • The relative height of the guy
  • the access the Dark Angels have to so many special heavy weapons, hinted at being provided by/cared for by these Watchers in the Dark

Theory B is that the Stunts are really now called the Demiurg.. from BFG, the Mining and Refining factory ships sometimes seen allied with Tau forces..
Old 24 Mar 2006, 23:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Instead of humans being isolated on a high gravity world for a long period of time, is it too crazy to assume they pretended they were humans to avoid being wiped out by the Imperium.

Watchers in the Dark may be a different species...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Mar 2006, 00:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
I think I've spotted a Squat within a codex, secretly helping a SM chapter (what may bolster this sighting is this theory got locked on the GW forum and I got a Mod-warning (sheesh!!))

OK everyone break out their Dark Angels Codex (whaddaya mean you dont own every single codex there is!?), and turn to either the inside front cover, or Pg 16. You'll notice the little guy holding the Winged Helmet (The Lion Helm artifact).

Supporting bullets
  • The braided beard tassles peeking out through the robes, almost dragging on the ground
  • Called a "Watcher in the Dark", a native race to the Dark Angels 'Homeworld', a Fortress called "The Rock"
    • The relative height of the guy
    • the access the Dark Angels have to so many special heavy weapons, hinted at being provided by/cared for by these Watchers in the Dark

Theory B is that the Stunts are really now called the Demiurg.. from BFG, the Mining and Refining factory ships sometimes seen allied with Tau forces..
  • Ha ha ha, yeah I have thought about that! Bring back the squats!
Old 25 Mar 2006, 02:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jhrovii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban

You mean the Jawas?

Ooo TEE DEE

No, the Jawa's are definetly not squats. Squats are not telekenetic warp gods who are impervious to damage, all the while helping out the Dark Angels- an extremely xenophobic chapter, even to abhumans- in the ruins of a fortress-monastery on Caliban, WHICH MEANS, in effect, that the squats have existed on Caliban- previously a death world- for as long as human colonization, if not longer, and never mentioned.

It also means the Squats dress up as Jawas. Which isn't possible, Dave. :
Old 25 Mar 2006, 02:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

what is a demi urg anyways? is it a dwarven like race in wh40k? and i had my old dark angels codex, and i think they said that the little guys you are talking about had powers and they could meld into the rocks they surrounded, and other powers like that. im not sure, i havnt read it in* a while.

" In the forty-first millennium, a Tyranid hive fleet (it is unclear whether it was Leviathan or a tendril of Kraken) swept through the Homeworlds, destroying the Squats as a power in the galaxy."
* theres a quote from wikipedia on squats, and they are not all dead or extinct, just lost as a power.

heres the link* * * * * * * * * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squats_(Warhammer_40,000)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demiurg...er_40%2C000%29 heres some interesting stuff, heres a quote that caught my eye. Maybe this will raise some questions about kroot tech.

"The Demiurg are known to have an 'allied' relationship with the Tau, being noted as economic relations of the Tau Empire, and were initially introduced to the Tau via their mutual relations with the Kroot. From the Demiurg, the Tau acquired their knowledge of ion cannon technology, which is now heavily used by the Tau in their armies and fleets. Two brotherhoods of Demiurg, the Srry'Tok and Thurm, are known to have joined the Tau Empire." Now the Demiurg knew the kroot first, and then allied with the tau, and they gave the tau there Ion technology.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Closed Thread