Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau tech questions
Closed Thread
Old 21 Mar 2006, 05:50   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau tech questions

Fluff stories in the Codexes are almost invariably biased towards the army the codex is about. That is something you will just have to live with, as canon is canon until it is replaced.

Keep game-mechanics discussions separate from the fluff. Mechanics-wise, I like the Leman Russ better than the Hammerhead. (Okay, I like it better fluff-wise too, but not by as large a margin ). But the two are completely different debates. So try to keep on topic...?

1. I think they are probably void-capable (and more maneuverable than basic power armour due to the jetpacks), but they may not normally have the equipment for sustained combat in zero atmosphere. It might make an interesting conversion/scenario.

2. There is always some uncertainty when it comes to the scaling between BFG and 40k. I would guess a Gal'leath could accommodate around two-dozen mantas.

3. Depends on the circumstances. The Tau negotiate with races, but they might not be so quick to negotiate with a party they viewed as criminal. If the pirates had previously preyed on Tau shipping, or if they refused to surrender quickly, the Tau would probably just attack and maybe ship the survivors off to the nearest world with a Gue'vesa presence.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 16:00   #12 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

Skwee more questions!

Do Tau ships effect gravity? By this I mean is there gravity on a Tau ship and would they be able to have gravity in one room and not in the corridor?

How many Shas'o/el would there be in a hunter cadre? Would there be an over all commader (most experinced Shas'o?) or a kind of diplomatic way of doing things?

How fast is a photon round? I've heard it from somewhere I can't remember it is mach 50. Any comments?
Old 21 Mar 2006, 16:07   #13 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcampbello
Skwee more questions!

Do Tau ships effect gravity? By this I mean is there gravity on a Tau ship and would they be able to have gravity in one room and not in the corridor?
Unkown... some fluff suggests yes, whereas others makes mention of Kor in "free float".

I would guess, therefore, that gravity can be turned on in emergency situations, thus allowing the Shas on board to fight more effectively. At other times, the ship is in zero G.

Quote:
How many Shas'o/el would there be in a hunter cadre? Would there be an over all commader (most experinced Shas'o?) or a kind of diplomatic way of doing things?
Each Cadre contains a Shas'El.

Shas'O command number-Cadres. For example, a normal Hunter Cadre (or 1-Cadre) is led by an 'El. A 6-Cadre would consist of six Hunter Cadres, with a Shas'O in supreme command.

Above the Shas'O are the Shas'Ar'Tol, a ruling council. They do not, however, have a presence on the battlefield.

Quote:
How fast is a photon round? I've heard it from somewhere I can't remember it is mach 50. Any comments?
Photons can effectively move at light speed... but they are completely harmless.

Most generic sci-fi weaponry fires about as fast as a bullet (a little over Mach 1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Mar 2006, 16:49   #14 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcampbello
Photons can effectively move at light speed... but they are completely harmless.

Most generic sci-fi weaponry fires about as fast as a bullet (a little over Mach 1).
I think individually, yes photon doesnīt cause much. But particle weapons usually fire streams of particles.
Tau weapons, on the other hand are not true particle weapons, the damage effect is more from the heat then physical impact. I donīt know if the Tau pulse weaponry has any real world comparability, it could be that in real physics the weapon would not work at all, the heat created by the particle would be too small, or that it could not be "aimed, and instead it would affect anything in front of the barrel, where the magnetic fields start to weaken.

In any case, Iīd assume the plasma pulse travels quite a lot faster then Mach 1 or 2. The reasoning is, that since majority of damage is caused by heat, the pulse must still be hot when it reaches the target. Given the Pulse rifles long range, and high power, combined to the instability of plasma, and itīs tendency to affect anything it touches (like air), Iīd say the pulse has to travel a lot faster in order to still have the heat at the end of the flight.

Personal estimation would be maybe 15 machs. This would make the travel time between shooter and target 500 meters away around 0.1 seconds. However, this is just my estimate, and I think it is a careful one. 500meters is not that long for modern weapons. The time is complete guess. I have no Idea how long the plasma could hold itīs energy.

My 2 cents. Anyone got change?

Old 21 Mar 2006, 17:57   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer

Quote:
Each Cadre contains a Shas'El.

Shas'O command number-Cadres. For example, a normal Hunter Cadre (or 1-Cadre) is led by an 'El. A 6-Cadre would consist of six Hunter Cadres, with a Shas'O in supreme command.

Above the Shas'O are the Shas'Ar'Tol, a ruling council. They do not, however, have a presence on the battlefield.
The update fleshes out the Tau chain of command quite a bit. 3-6 Cadres (Kau'ui) form Contingents (Tio've), and Contingents form Battles (Kavaal). Most cadres are led by Shas'el, but occasionally they will be led by a Shas'o instead (think command cadres). Only cadres are permanent formations. The others are temporary and usually do not last beyond a particular operation or campaign. The regional command is called a Command (Uash'O), but the Tau have not yet had to field an entire command in a single engagement. The entire Tau presence on a planet is called a Coalition, or Shan'al.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 18:51   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, the link in Epic and BFG for the Gal'leath is more straight forward - as space for 8 Mantas in Epic = space for 8 Mantas in BFG shows.

Now, it's possible that there is one group of 8 for bomber runs, and another 8 for landings. However, you would usually see Barracuda squadrons flown in BFG-scale instead of a Manta or two, or 3 Orcas/Morays dropped in place of one in Epic terms. So, there'd probably be only 8 Mantas, but their attention would be divided between bombing runs and orbital drops/ground support. Still leaves plenty of Orcas for getting troops up and down - as well as Morays to help out with ground support!

So I'd put it at 10 Cadres normally, with max 20, divided between Mantas and Orcas as methods of transportation.

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 21:26   #17 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Well, the other questions seem to be answered. but for Pirates: The Tau would try to assimilate them, and they could still be pirates, but pirates in the employ of the Tau. These are called Commarce Protection Fleets, and they disrupt enemy trade without being treced beck to the Empire.

"In war, laws are silent"
Old 21 Mar 2006, 23:13   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

At first, I thought the Tau would never Privateer (the proper term for making pirates YOUR pirates) any captures pirates, but the more I think about it, the more I see that an Aun (with a firm grasp of the actual Greater Good) would find a use for them, towards that Greater Good.

Now, I fully see a Pirates Den raided by Tau forces, then the leader of the pirates has a nice sit down talk with an ethereal, and then the Tau leave, and shortly afterwards, the Pirate ships run amok on the outer fringes of the 3rd sphere, weilding Tau Missiles and Ion-Lance beams.. which can never be directly linked back to the Tau suppliers (part of the deal). The Tau would publicly say that they are being pirated just as much, and the weapons come from plundered ships (wink wink)

It would be just like the Tau to freely give the Pirates all the missiles, Rail cannons, Ion Lances, etc... and ask nothing in return (nothing at ALL) by way of payment, so long as the conditions laid out are met. This way the Pirates would willingly work for the Tau, never turn on them (ever!! see how clever they are?), and unknowingly work to help and foreward the Ethereal plan. The Greater Good often means the Empire has to spend a price to facilitate their Goals, showing nothing in return other than the wanted results.... sneaky....
Old 22 Mar 2006, 00:05   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Annoyingly, there are two types of Commerce Protection Fleet in the fluff:

*The list of privateers in Fanatic Magazine (who are usually crewed by Tau pilots loyal to the Empire, not by former alien pirates - though they do use mercenaries...)

and

*The Kor'vattra Qath'fannor (list for the resin Tau starships in BFG)

Maybe the first type needs a new name?

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 02:37   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

they call them privateers?

A Privateer is a licensed Pirate to a certain nation... that is at war with another nation... and would like the privateer to make life miserable for them... and make it legal... from their countries point of view (meaning pirates broke no laws if retuning to their hosts' port).

This term and knowledge of this term comes from the 1500-1600's in the Caribbean sea... a la the real pirates of the Caribbean, where Spain and England, and France, and the Dutch were all at war with each other, enlisting pirates to privateer left and right, and the pirates having a jolly old time playing favorites and hedging bets, and double triple and even quadruple dealing with everyone! har HAR!