Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drone Harbinger/Commander... for now
Old 14 Jan 2010, 03:09   #11 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Drone Harbinger... for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
There's also a few minor design flaws in the Codex layout as well as a few misspellings and grammar errors. I also only see contributors stealing elements from other Codexes (mainly the Guard Codex) and cramming them into the Tau Codex instead of coming up with things on their own.
Want to elaborate on what the designers have apparently "stolen"? Comments like that make you look like a petulant child seeing another child with a toy he wants. >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Hmm, somebody's Central Network Link looks very much like a Battlenet Uplink in terms of fluff (not so sure in terms of execution).

Also, as this is supposed to be a mobile drone factory, why not have an ability similar to that pf the Tervigon?

Something along the lines of the Harbinger is able to Create a Squadron of 2D6 Gun drones each turn. However, if it rolls a double then it has run out of something-or-other and may not make any more drone squadrons. Each squadron is independent, and counts as a Kill Point if destroyed. (NB: These drones may or may not be scoring depending on whether or not they count as troops.)
Pretty much my thoughts, but you got here before I did. The 2d6 (gun, I'm assuming) drones would be a nice way to balance it all out (or maybe just 2D3 without the chance of "running out" but, in turn, having less potential output in the course of the game).

Edit- Editing in insults without notification accomplishes the same thing as what I described about your behavior. Yes, I challenged you to prove your comments about us "stealing" anything. Just because they have a LD check make things happen effect and so do we, does not mean we have stolen anything when you examine the actual rules behind them.

I'd also rather mud be tossed at me for being a fanboy vs. the behavior you're displaying. I, at least, don't have to go around trying to throw my comments around so viciously/superfluously to make myself feel better.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 03:44   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Re: Drone Harbinger... for now

Quote:
Hmm, somebody's Central Network Link looks very much like a Battlenet Uplink in terms of fluff (not so sure in terms of execution).

Also, as this is supposed to be a mobile drone factory, why not have an ability similar to that pf the Tervigon?

Something along the lines of the Harbinger is able to Create a Squadron of 2D6 Gun drones each turn. However, if it rolls a double then it has run out of something-or-other and may not make any more drone squadrons. Each squadron is independent, and counts as a Kill Point if destroyed. (NB: These drones may or may not be scoring depending on whether or not they count as troops.)
While that does sound interesting, it's a bit too much for a dedicated transport with front AV:13. The cost would skyrocket and nobody would want it. The average would be 7, max 12, minimum 2. It would suck if a player rolled like a 4 total and have the squad go bye-bye in a kill point match. And because I'm not stooping down to make them not count for Kill Points, I'm not going to do that. It might be more balanced if I also make them incapable of contesting Objectives (a 5th Ed first), but then rolling a lucky 10 and you have 10 free Drones.

Not to mention, players having to produce all of those Drone models.

@ Unusual Suspect,
The Harbinger does both repair and construction, btw. I noted that in the fluff.

Indeed, I wasn't too surprised when I saw the "Battlenet Uplink" in the other Codex. But mine has greater depth, detail, was produced before that idea was added, and works a bit differently as far as rules go, and most importantly, mine is 200% more simple.

I'm starting to see some blurred areas between differing Codexes here, but while I am willing for a merge where we just pile, read, and consider every and all the ideas in a new Codex thread, (and best of all, our graphics design abilities) I do not agree with 2/3rds of the things that exist in the TO Fandex. It's a whole lot better than the first version where players just contributed a thought and it was so.

I can be done, but I'm afraid that we do that it will end up being something like this:
1. Everyone piles all their ideas and skills into a thread to be sorted.
2. Contributors vote on heads over 3 departments: Graphics Design, Rules Writing, and Art.
3. Favs will be put in place, favorites will be played, heads will become corrupted, and people with truly good ideas will be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
There's also a few minor design flaws in the Codex layout as well as a few misspellings and grammar errors. I also only see contributors stealing elements from other Codexes (mainly the Guard Codex) and cramming them into the Tau Codex instead of coming up with things on their own.
Want to elaborate on what the designers have apparently "stolen"? Comments like that make you look like a petulant child seeing another child with a toy he wants. >

Quote:

Pretty much my thoughts, but you got here before I did. The 2d6 (gun, I'm assuming) drones would be a nice way to balance it all out (or maybe just 2D3 without the chance of "running out" but, in turn, having less potential output in the course of the game).

2D3 sounds interesting, definitely more balanced, but I still think it complicates things. Rolling poorly would be even worse for reasons I thought above.

If someone wants to steal my ideas, heck, I really don't care. Happens all the time when I'm writing and posting stories in different places around the net. As long as someone credits the original creator of the idea.

Quote:
Who is that addressed to? Me? My comment was 100% criticism on the part of the Codex. What I meant by "stealing from other Codexes", I'm talking about, "Existing Codexes". There's Ork design. Imperial Guard implications. Eldar Codex influences. Etc. The Uplink rule for example is nothing but a cheesy and more powerful employment of Guard Orders.

I don't want anything in that Codex. It's gross and smothered in Fanboy filth.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2010, 03:14   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Re: Drone Harbinger/Commander... for now

I have added the Tau Commander. I'm doing this one unit a day really. I think I'm going to readjust the Harbinger's fluff column like I have the Commander's so that I don't have to write so dang much. Also finally figured out how I am going to do pages and the background. Yes, the 1+ has been removed!

Also, I feel the pain of those who try to get the line of the worded columns perfectly aligned.

Additional footnotes: No, the commander's Strength, Toughness, Save, etc. is not a typo. Now, the battlesuit types are part of the wargear, in which those adjustments are included in the wargear entry. This way, you don't have to make a bunch of rules for the Ejection System, if the model is on foot (which is an option), or a full list of the different stat lines therein. I figured if they expected players to remember the Space Wolf Frost Blade rules, this should be acceptable.
The bulky XV8 Battlesuit will contribute -1 to A and Int values, whereas more nimble suits like XV15 and XV22 do not have those drawbacks, but do not contribute as much to Strength and Toughness bonuses. The XV24 is an in-between, like the XV23 experimental suit.

I'm considering if firing 3 weapons in one phase should be included in the XV24 suit, like they have in DOW.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote