Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Experimental Tau Codex
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Experimental Tau Codex

Greetings everyone,
recently I put together a bunch of ideas gathered on various discussion boards and after-game chats with other players about how a 5th edition Tau codex would look like. Most of the ideas were pretty interesting so I decided to go and write them down and came up with a draft that has then been reshaped and polished up, and I must say that it turned out way better than I expected.
If you are interested in a breath of fresh air while playing Tau you can follow the development of the codex here, or directly download the latest version of the codex here.
Right now I'm in the "let's-play-it-to-see-where-it-may-be-broken" part, and if anyone has thoughts or comments about it on how to improve or tweak it, that would be great.

Thank you for your time,
Gaius
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:53   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Experimental Tau Codex

Reading your 'blogs' was enough to convince me this isn't worth my time; the word 'Overwatch' should summarise nicely why this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It is refreshing to read well argumented and constructive criticism once in a while
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Was that meant to be sarcastic?

Seriously. Your formatting was an eyesore (literally; it gave me a headache trying to make sense of it); the stuff I could read didn't make sense half the time; some of the units make no bloody sense whatsoever ("Great" Shaper? The Kroot community will no doubt beat your skull in on my behalf about that); you've got options that are, I would hope, badly worded (5+ Armour for Kroot, for example); Your Hammerhead Railgun is just... dear christ, people like you are the reason I don't play 40K anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 14:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

give the guy a break wargamer, yes alot of the stuff in that codex is very flawed, like being able to have a twin linked railgun that ignores cover.

but the fact that someone went and made the effort, and then had the guts to show it the rest of us, means that the least we can do is guide and encorage him to balance some of his more unique ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Wargamer (including me) has seen a lot of these "efforts" that failed so spectacularly to the point where he can identify whether or not the Tau FanDex is good just by looking at it with a single, uncaring glance.

Anyway, this should be the 8th or 9th this year.......it could be the 10th but I lost count.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 15:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

fair enuf. i shall leave well alone then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 07:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Whether or not there are an excess of Tau FanDexes floating around, there's no reason to be abrupt and impolite towards Gaius here. Perhaps the forum as a whole would be better served if we were to constructively show Gaius any faults with his work, and work together with him to rectify any issues?

Quote:
"Great" Shaper? The Kroot community will no doubt beat your skull in on my behalf about that
Well I'm not gonna beat your skull in Gaius but what you've described at the great shaper is known as a master shaper, the kroot's equivalent of both chieftain and spiritual leader. GW made a kroot codex a few years back with rules and some background that could prove useful. I'm not sure where you could find it though, I'm not sure if it is still available to be downloaded from the GW site.

At first glance the 'dex does seem quite overpowered. :-\ I don't really have time to go through it atm, but I would first suggest you try to limit the number of special rules for each unit, to simplify the game and weaken some more powerful units. For example the fire warriors Overwatch rule. As much as I would love my shas'la to be able to do that, it makes them far to powerful.

Walrus
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 10:17   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus Man
Quote:
"Great" Shaper? The Kroot community will no doubt beat your skull in on my behalf about that
Well I'm not gonna beat your skull in Gaius but what you've described at the great shaper is known as a master shaper, the kroot's equivalent of both chieftain and spiritual leader. GW made a kroot codex a few years back with rules and some background that could prove useful. I'm not sure where you could find it though, I'm not sure if it is still available to be downloaded from the GW site.
You're right, it's no longer on the GW site but there's one available in the Important topics thread on the Minor Races board. Here you go:http://www.freewebs.com/pfreck/Kodex...t%2520V4.2.pdf
Not sure whether it's the GW one, but it's something.

And I do agree that the codex is overpowered, there are also quite a lot of places that would benefit from some minor re-writing to make the rules clearer.

Overwatch - no. Just no. There's a reason it hasn't appeared since 2/3 (not sure) ed.

Many of the rules and weapons options don't seem too bad, it's glaring one like Overwatch that I think are the main problem. More fluff would be very nice though!

Is it too much to ask for you to click on them? Just click. Is all.

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED!

All fungi are edible, some only once.
the crazy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 12:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

If you want an idea of what most of us are working on, then I direct you to here:

Version 2.60 (Deadnight/Wargamer remix)

And the general thread in which it all gets discussed here.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote