Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer 40,000: Star Empires
Old 29 Sep 2009, 18:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Warhammer 40,000: Star Empires

What's All This About Then?
Well, I had an idea in the middle of the night, as I often do, due to something Wargamer said, which doesn't happen in the middle of the night so often as a lot of people on this forum would like to think. The idea came from this section in one of his posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Space Marines aren't a race. If you count them as a race, you'd have to count Crisis Battlesuits as a separate race as well.

Keep this in mind: the Imperium exists on a scale few other races can compete with. If the Tau Empire was built on the scale the Imperium is, you'd probably have Crisis Suit formations operating as free-roaming units much as Space Marines do. If the Eldar still had an Empire, the Swordwind would most likely exist much as Space Marine Chapters do. As it is, no other race can afford to pool its elite in the way the Imperium does.
Now, a lot of people know (I think) that out of all sci fi tropes that have ever been and will ever be created my favourite by far is the concept of the alternate universe.

If we represent the Imperium as green, the Tau Empire as blue and the Forces of Chaos as red, consider that the Eldar, Orks and 'Crons are either so spaced out as to have no empire or are all-pervasive with no centralised command at all and the Nids are extra-galactic anyway, you are all aware that the galaxy currently looks something like this (forgive me if I misplaced the Maelstrom, this is from memory):

Well... let's colour the Eldar orange and imagine that rather than looking like that, it looks like this:

What Does This Imply?
Well, I came up with the notion of how the powers would be spaced before I thought of the why, but here are some thoughts that have come to mind:
  • The Orks, Necrons and Tyranids remain unchanged.
  • The Tau must have matured much earlier, spreading out into the galaxy much around the same time as the Great Crusade
  • For the Eldar Empire to remain intact the Fall could not have taken place, but if the Fall doesn't take place then the Empire would remain unchallenged - as such I would imagine the pleasure cults finally Aulma'd off the hardliners in Eldar society and this resulted in a civil war. The pleasure cultists fled to Commorragh, leaving the Dark Eldar in the same position they are in "our" galaxy, and the Eldar Empire in a weakened yet still competitve state.
  • If the Eldar do not fall as we know it, Slaanesh doesn't become such a power. As such the Eye of Terror doesn't exist, as it formed with Slaanesh's "birth." Without the existence of Slaanesh as a power, we therefore have three Gods of Chaos (and of course the minor Gods, and Slaanesh would number among them). Because there's no Slaanesh, Fulgrim remained loyal during the Heresy and rather than nine Legions vs nine Legions it became ten vs eight, and as such Horus had to flee before he could take on the Emperor. I would imagine that the Eye of Terror could have been born out of his hatred, with the power that the three Chaos Gods were trying to force through him.

So What About The Tau?
Well it was the notion of Crisis suits acting like "Space Marines for the Tau Empire" that caused this idea in the first place, so the armies of the Tau would be much larger. I imagine they'd be split much like the Imperial armies - Fire Warrior cadres (analogous to the Imperial Guard) and Crisis Cadres (analogous to the Space Marines). How would that work in tabletop terms? Well, I'd take Codex: Tau Empire and remove all Crisis suit options and replace them with Fire Warrior options (BS4 Elite Veterans, a Commander with Guard-esque advisory upgrades, that kind of thing), as well as adding in all the non-Crisis IA stuff. I'd then build a new Codex around a Crisis "Chapter" that'd be exclusively Crisis suits, with new weapons, formations (like BS4 ones), a transport (like the Orca but smaller) and other things that would pertain to an entirely-Crisis formation's style of war.

How would they get around their huge Empire when they aren't warp capable? Either wormhole technology or stargates (the in-space kind, not the on-planet kind). I'm not sure which is more plausible or more awesome, which brings me to...

What Do I Want From You?
I never thought this could be a one-man project.

I'm throwing this out here because I'm curious to see if anyone else is interested in the concept of alternate universes and specifically this one, it's much closer to 40k's universe than my original alternate universe project, as everyone's the same personality-wise it's just the balance of power that's different, and most importantly if anyone's interested in fluffing this out with me, possibly even writing Codex supplements in the same way people do for Warhammer 30,000. Perhaps it could even get a project board, if it gets enough interest.

So... who'll be the first to bite?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Warhammer 40,000: Fractured Galaxy

That'd be me, to help with the Tau ruleset.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

d00d that would be sick! i don't think i have much to offer, but i guess i will offer criticism when needed.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 20:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd help any way I can (anything for BS 4 Fire Warriors... >....and a Crisis Army... ;D)
Originally Posted by Shaman from DakkaDakka
Hoping for balance with GW is like hoping to live while playing Russian roulette with a glock.
SteelPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2009, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

Feel free to rob units from what I've been posting on House Rules

One question: where to the Tau Auxiliary units come in? Kroot, Vespid, even the lesser-known ones like the Nicassar, Demiurg, Shia-shi, and others.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2009, 20:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Ex-feral Eldar auxiliaries are a new possibility, if I've read that map right. ;D

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2009, 23:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Certainly a possibly. I hope I've made this clear from the beginning, this isn't me coming and saying "I've made an alternate universe, what do you think?", rather it's me saying "I've got a concept for an alternate universe, here's a tentative faction map to show what I want to convey, anybody want in on fleshing this baby out?"
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2009, 00:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

so if there were crisis suit cadre's i think they wouldn't have any vehicles. instead they just have different variations of suits. holo-suits. barrage suits, speed suits, and heavy suits.

just to get the ball rolling
Old 01 Oct 2009, 01:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I offer my services as a mercenary fluff-writer and concept guy. I expect to be paid by the paragraph :P

We'd need to be careful not to let the Crisis Cadres turn into SM chapters in Crisis armour - i like what Panda said about no vehicles, though not entirely - i'm sure the Tau elite armies would have their own heavy support, and I feel it's important to retain the Tau 'Combined Arms' approach to warfare.

As far as mercenaries go, I see know reason why the Kroot and others would not be hired by the Empire to fight alongside the elite cadres as much as the more 'rank-and-file' Tau infantry. Perhaps we could even create some rules for more highly-trained mercenary units that fight exclusively with the elite cadres.
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2009, 01:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

i feel like crisis suit cadres would have orbital bombardments before they all deep struck. so their heavy support options could be orbital strikes. so maybe the suits have marker lights and they could point their lights at targets and get to use the bombardments. obviously it would have scatter and what not. possibly if the HQ died the strikes would go offline. they could still have broadsides, but i think in terms of variety that would be a cool option. (yes, a clear rip off of the WH codex)