Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer Quest 40.000
Old 12 May 2009, 14:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque
Default Warhammer Quest 40.000

Hello guys

A while back me and some guys sat down and took out a blast from the past, Warhammer Quest. The only game where you play these 4 warriors who venture into dungeon after dungeon HACKING everything and often getting HACKED in the process. We enjoyed it.

We always do, but we only really have all those models that was in the box, plus some characters and a few more. We are 3 fully stocked out warhammer 40k players, and I thought, why not convert the game concept into scifi? I tried to google it but found no earlier attempts to do so.

So now:

I am currently having a good time converting the concept of Warhammer Quest into the 40k universe. Its a boderline kill team concept, matched with the detail of necromunda in the demanding cooperation tactics against scores loads and hordes of xenos of Warhammer Quest.

Are there any of you gentlemen out there who remembers the original WQ who would like to see such a creation - in which case I'd be happy to upload it. But I sure as hell wouldnt want to if noone cares.

Intrigued?

The game so far features Sci Fi board sections, updated rules and various markers and predefined yet highly customizable characters - new rules, events and locations. But with the same old gameplay mechanics of WQ - go in, find it, traverse it, kill it and attempt to get away with the treasure. Consider it to be Kill Team in a Complex of combined board sections. And yes, you gain levels.

So, the package will be free - of course. When it's done. All you will need is a few human'ish imperial guard'ish dudes, a techpriest, a psyker and a marine scout - and of course SCORES of antagonists, such as orks, eldar, nids, lots of dice (a d100 too) , and a color printer/scissors/cardboard. And NO, you wouldnt actually need the old Warhammer Quest game. Not at all!

Well, any thoughts? Anyone thinking this is the most idiotic idea ever, and there is a reason the web doesnt have any attempts of this stuff? Ideas where to locate useful bits and ideas to implement? Copyright infringement advice? Other?
Old 14 May 2009, 04:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Warhammer Quest 40.000

Though I don't know what Warhammer Quest is, it sounds a lot like the Kill team scenarios. I'd be interesting in seeing the rules posted.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Post them! This will fit into an idea we're starting to get together over here.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 08:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its not quite finished but I'll definately post it then when I am done with the rules. May take a few weeks, though the progress is decent enough. Im making a rulebook for it. So far some 20 pages incl. diagrams and all.

Its a lot like the kill team concept. The difference is that you only got 1 guy each, so you play together against a game master. His job is to challenge the warriors as best he can. Not to kill the warriors (though that certainly happens more often that not) You use special board sections with tiles and wall markings to show where you are and what you see. You then go through this Complex of room sections and try to survive as you get closer to your mission objective. You roll a dice every turn to measure psykers power (so a psyker wants to roll high) - and every time you roll a 1, you a) have very little power and b) you either get an event - someone trips or you meet someone or you are ambushed or whatever, based on a d100 table with lots of subtables - or you get attacked by, say, 2d6 shoota boys and a nob. You then attempt to kill them. If you are unlucky you'll roll yet another 1 in the next power phase and get swamped by 3 nobs with powerclaws too, or 12 grots. Or eldar or nids, or, or...

There can even be both orks and nids, as pr the game definition they may be enemies, but they'll be dead set on removing the good guys before they slug it out themselves. Thats part of the original concept that you'd meet undeads and minotaurs and orks that are allied and pretty mad at YOU. I think though, I'll make tables for each race as well so you can go up against 1 race only if youwant to. If you go down, you get injuries which may be nagging you from that moment. If you all go down, youre dead.

Its great fun in the old concept, like wading through a swamp of beasts, a swamp that gradually gets higher and higher over your shoulders, only to finally succumb to the load of greenskins or to wash them all away in great displays of prowess and awesomeness.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1634 <- warhammer quest - though the original board sections are not modelled like these. They are just cardboard.
Old 15 May 2009, 08:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Warhammer quest was great - I traded my box set a few months ago for a load of Orks for a friend though. I like the idea - I'm sure it's been done before, but it will be interesting to see how you execute it.
Old 15 May 2009, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Havent been able to google any one single attempt of anyone talking about it. I suppose the concept of "Space Hulk" was close enough so noone bothered?

Anyways, it'll be pretty cool, I'm positive.

Here's a few sneak previews- as you'll see its as detailed as any rulebook should be so bear in mind it may take some time before release.

Sample event description - (one out of a hundred)
The Warriors notice that, inscribed on the wall, are strange runes. Roll a Willpower test for each Warrior. On success, that Warrior understands the runes, and explains that they reveal how to open a secret alcove in the wall that contains great riches. If anyone understands the runes, each Warrior finds 1d6 x 50 Thrones, but roll twice on the Monster Table to see what arrives to rescue it’s loot.

Rules for shooting
After moving, it is possible for you to discharge any ranged weapon you might have. Doing so will require a Ballistics Test (A “To-Hit” Test, see Characteristics Tests). Note that you may not fire a rifle while in close combat. You may however fire a pistol in close combat. A Warrior or Monster which has a missile weapon can shoot at any target that it can see.

Most guns have Single Fire and Burst Fire selectors, as seen under their Rate of Fire (RoF): The first number is the single shot option. The second number is the burst option.

Weapon Strength Rate of Fire Armor Piercing
Autogun 3 1/2 0

Burst Attacks
If you move you can only fire a single shot. If you stand still however, you may use the weapon’s burst function. If you decide to use a Burst, you may attack as many times as the burst signifies, but at a -1 penalty on the To Hit Tests. You cannot burst fire against pinned targets (in Close Combat), as the risk of friendly fire would be way too big.

You must designate your targets before rolling to hit.

Some weapons also have an Armor Piercing property. Subtract the number from the targets armor (if any) for that hit only. (See Wounding below)

Cover
It is more difficult to hit a target that doesn’t want to get hit, than it is to hit an immobile training doll. Cover provides penalties for any ranged weapon attack. Any shot into cover provides a -1 to hit roll. A model counts as cover when one or more of the following factors are fulfilled.

• You are shooting a pinned target
• You are shooting a target more than a board section away
• You are shooting a hiding target – only half the target’s square is visible to the shooter
• You are shooting at something on the other side of a close combat

The effects are cumulative. If you are trying to hit a hiding, pinned target that is more than a board section away, and you have to shoot through another close combat in order to hit, you have the odds against you at a -4 to hit penalty. Remember though you can never go below 1 in your effective skill roll modifier. You always hit on a 6.
Grenades
Grenades are single shot explosive devices designed for different purposes such as removing large groups of enemies, very hard targets, or generally sowing confusion enough for the warriors emerge victorious. Grenades, however, are dangerous appliances and can therefore only be used under certain conditions.

• All grenades have a range of 6 spaces. They may never affect a space more than 6 spaces away.
• No grenade may ever affect a space adjacent to a warrior. The warriors are professional enough to know it’s a bad idea to set off explosives near their friends.
• A grenade requires a BS check. Failure means that an opponent kicks away the grenade in the last second / that the grenade was a dud / that you threw it too far. It has no effect.
Old 04 Jun 2009, 20:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Have you ever played Space Hulk? That was pretty much the Warhammer Quest: 40,000 game of its time, although it only had Terminators and Genestealers.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 15:02   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

And apparently Space Hulk is being re-released this year.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
Have you ever played Space Hulk? That was pretty much the Warhammer Quest: 40,000 game of its time, although it only had Terminators and Genestealers.
Thats my point. I want more that just stealers and termies. And basically Space Hulk was a two player game. I want it to be about teamplay and the versatility of the universe of 40k.

Its starting to look pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezzy
And apparently Space Hulk is being re-released this year.
I cant really find confirmation that this is true, but if it is, I'm all over it!