Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Poject: Codex Ultimatus (Ultimate Codex)
Old 25 Apr 2009, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Poject: Codex Ultimatus (Ultimate Codex)

Currently, there are (or will be) five editions of codexes for each of the factions in Warhammer 40k. Each one, from the first and even to last, had its own redeemable qualities about it. (Yes, this includes even the mostly lousy 5th editions...) Each one had certain characteristics, which made them memorable.

However, there were also problems with each one, things that many people just did not like. (This is particularly the case with the current 5th edition codexes.)

Now wouldn't it be nice if someone, or some group of people were to take the best qualities of each existing codex and then combine them, in order to make one grand (ultimate) codex? (You bet your biscuits it would!)

Well, that's my challenge. That is my idea, which I am presenting to you today. I can't do it, as I don't have the knowledge or equipment necessary to fulfill this task. Also, my schedule would not allow it...

So, I offer my idea you all here, out of the hopes that some of you will graciously set out and complete this task for me.

As as a sidenote to you all, this project would be for all the factions and not just any particular one.

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 00:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Poject: Codex Ultimatus (Ultimate Codex)

Well, add the Traits system to the current Space Marine one and that's them sorted.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 00:30   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Traits are what helped to drag down 4th Ed, not make it awesome.

Purity, that is the key; Purity brings excellence. The core list should be so godly that nobody ever needs, or wants, a variant force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 00:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Then the core list should allow the options that traits allowed =P

Obviously with real disadvantages, not "you may not take something you didn't want to take in the first place."
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 10:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Then the core list should allow the options that traits allowed =P

Obviously with real disadvantages, not "you may not take something you didn't want to take in the first place."
I agree with the first point, in spirit if this idea of an ultimate codex where the main list has to be more desirable than any variant, but having disadvantages to me, whilst necessary for balance, kinda leans away from making this an 'ultimate' codex.

Obviously something like this would never be released. Surely in the name of havin fun making an 'ultimate' codex (which is what this is about rather than coming up with something playable) we can overlook some balance issues? Put in another way, this project to me is being done for the sake of seeing how powerful the end result is, combing the best of the editions, rather than making something necessarily playable. For something to deserve the title 'ultimate', it should be too powerful to be playable. ;D

Anyways, as for some ideas... Start off with Space Marines, seeing as there are a lot of variants etc which you can combine. By no means a complete list, but just a few starters off the top of my head ;D

1: scouts back to WS and BS 4
2: master crafted weapons available as before like in 4th
3: terminator honours back as option like before in 4th
4: incorporate ball predators into the existing predator section in the SM codex
5: bring back the terminator command squad
6: any special characters which have been left out from previous editions brought back, such as Cortez and Xavier
7: as in the 4th ed. SM codex, bring back the two types of librarian and chaplain

This may not be really to the brief, but I hope its at least roughly like what was meant by Empeorr Zoron.
LordCalsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

...or maybe terminator suits with save 3+ on 2d6?
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 01:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
4: incorporate ball predators into the existing predator section in the SM codex
I'm pretty sure it's 'Baal.' :P

Aside from the mispelling, may I ask why? I thought Baal Predators were a Blood Angels toy. It's not like they haven't already been hurt enough. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
This may not be really to the brief, but I hope its at least roughly like what was meant by Empeorr Zoron.
Weeeeell, sort of... I was more hoping that the ultimate codex could be 'playable' for players.

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's 'Baal.' :P

Aside from the mispelling, may I ask why? I thought Baal Predators were a Blood Angels toy. It's not like they haven't already been hurt enough. :P
Yes that's what I meant. need to proof read from now on!

I just thought it would be cool and also (perhaps too literally) taking the idea of Wargamer's in terms of making a list where no one would want to take a variant. Do you see what I mean? Effectively combining things to make something 'ultimate'.

Quote:
Weeeeell, sort of... I was more hoping that the ultimate codex could be 'playable' for players.
fair enough, sorry for not interpreting that correctly. if that was to be the case then obviously things would have to be done to balance it up a bit
LordCalsius is offline   Reply With Quote