Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer 40,000: Paradigm Shift Part II: History, but not as we know it
Old 22 Feb 2008, 14:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Warhammer 40,000: Paradigm Shift Part II: History, but not as we know it

Only a few of you actually read Part I of my Secret 40K Project, whose name is now revealed to be Paradigm Shift. Those of you who did read it might have an idea of where this is heading. For those of you who don't... well, you're about to see. This is the most extensive 40k fluff project I have undertaken, and will eventually be several parts long and pertain to all the different races. Please do not give me ideas for what to do with a certain race, I have a plan for all of them - mainly taking one or more aspects of their fluff and turning it on its head. There *will* be close combat Tau, so watch this space!

I don't mean to offend anybody by creating this, it is not meant to co-exist in our 40k universe (despite the first part of the project ), but there will be 99% legal rules for these armies using existing Codexes for those of you who I manage to inspire.

Anybody who wishes to contribute to my existing fluff is more than welcome to, as long as its in-keeping with the character of the race that I establish.

So without further ado, I present a brief history of the Human Empire, from the Great Crusade through to the Separatist Rebellion and the position of Emperor today.

[hr]
Ten thousand years ago, one man united the divided humans on Earth. This man forged a superior race of genetically engineered humans and set out to push into the stars, reclaiming forgotten worlds and technology from a brighter age, and setting about creating the Human Empire.

Using his technology he created twenty sons designed to be pure, charismatic soldiers who would lead his armies to battle on the surface of thousands of worlds across the galaxy. These were the Primarchs. But after their creation, they were stolen by some unknown force Ė perhaps the High Eldar, sensing their future with their prodigious scrying abilities and fearing it Ė and reassigned to planets all amongst the galaxy. The man, the self-styled Emperor of Mankind, launched his Great Crusade into space to reclaim his sons.

He found all but one, and together with the Primarchs leading their Space Marine Legions he set out to purge the galaxy to create a human galactic state with himself as its figurehead. Their wars were relentless, no mercy was shown in the Emperorís war to reforge the galaxy in a crucible of conquest. Those who stood in his way were destroyed, unable to stand against the wrath of the Space Marines. But this Empire that he fought so brutally to create would be almost torn apart in a coming civil war.

It began with his son Lorgar, Primarch of the Word Bearers Legion. Lorgar venerated his father as a God, a holy light that would cleanse the stars and restore humanity as supreme rulers. This adoration was totally unwanted by the Emperor. He wanted servants, not worshippers, and Lorgar and his Legionís desire for prayer was hindering the crusade. Nothing could stand in the way of the march of the Empire, not even the Emperorís own sons, so he ordered his other progeny to obliterate Lorgar and his Legion, as if they had never existed, to keep the conquest surging forth until none but the humans remained. Any other form was heretical, with xenos and mutants alike burnt in the holy flame.

Ten of the remaining eighteen Primarchs and their Legions complied with the Emperorís order to slaughter the Word Bearers, but eight could not stand this blatant treachery against their brother. They valued loyalty to each other more than the commanding light of their father, and under the leadership of Horus, Primarch of the Luna Wolves (who had long felt that his fatherís methods were flawed and sought a peaceful coexistence with the other races of the galaxy), a great separation began between the brothers.

In swift retribution the Sons of Sigmar, Imperial Fists and World Eaters tore apart Lorgar and his unsuspecting Legion and almost simultaneously Horus, Magnus, Leman Russ, Sanguinius, Corax, Mortarion, Perturabo and LioníEl Johnson took their Legions away from the bulk of the crusade, heading to the galactic North-West under the false mission of annihilating an alliance of Orks. The Emperor allowed them to go to carry out this perceived genocide.

In reality Horus held council with his brothers as to what could be done about the Emperor and his lust for power. The head of the Empire had retreated along with Rogal Dorn to fortify Earth, now called High Terra, in case of a High Eldar or Ork attack on the Empireís capital. Horus proposed a lightning strike to take out the Empireís leader, and hope that with him gone the Empire itself could be turned into an accepting Republic where none would fear persecution. The Separatist Primarchs regretted the necessary use of violence, but knew it was the only way.

As one the eight Separatist Legions moved against High Terra, accompanied by several regiments of Empire Guard and even some Titan Legions, in a great civil war known as the Horus Rebellion. The Emperor recalled his loyal legions to the planet to hold it in defence, but the Sons of Sigmar, Ultramarines and Iron Hands were far from the world and to begin with it looked as though the Separatists could break through. When the loyalists began to push back, Horus knew that he would have to lure the Emperor to his battle barge, slay his father there and hope the Empire crumbled. In a gambit he lowered the shields. This invitation was too much for the proud Emperor to pass up, and along with Rogal Dorn and a team of heavily armed Space Marines teleported aboard to assassinate the Separatist leader, also hoping that his cause would be shattered.

The Emperor and Dorn found Sanguinius first, however, who had come to Horusí barge on the lowering of the shields, knowing that his brother would need his help as the Emperor would doubtless not be alone. The mighty angel was no match for his father and brother, and fell to their weapons after a protracted combat. The Emperor and Dorn split up to locate Horus.

Unsurprisingly the Emperor found his erstwhile son first, his psychic senses guiding him to the traitor. On hearing of the death of his brother, Horus flew into a rage and the two generals fought a bitter battle of bodies and souls to the point of stalemate, for Horus was a strong match to his father. Both were heavily wounded but fighting on when Rogal Dorn arrived on the scene, cleaving his unsuspecting former brother from the groin through the skull in one smooth stroke. Seeing his father heavily wounded, Dorn, ever the opportunist, launched a fresh attack and beheaded the Emperor as well. With his father slain, he could take up the mantle of Emperor and be the one with the power!

Sadly, things went against the Separatists and with Horus gone the survivors had no choice but to retreat, as the three remaining Legions were looming on the planet. Russ and Magnus the Red were hastily elected to lead the retreat which took them to a troubled area in the Galactic West, an area that had been relatively untouched by the Crusade but afforded them comparable safety. The Space Wolves, Thousand Sons, Iron Warriors, Raven Guard, Dark Angels, Death Guard and the leaderless Blood Angels and Luna Wolves would continue an extensive war against the enduring Empire in the millennia to come. See Warhammer: Paradigm Shift Part V: The Free Marines.

The remaining Primarchs convened on Terra to discuss the status of Emperor, and Dorn claimed that it was his by right of conquest. Interestingly enough, Angron, he who would be most expected to start a quarrel, accepted this straight away Ė the World Eater Primarch had great respect for might of arms, and knew he could always attempt a takeover later. Sigmar on the other hand was outraged that Dorn thought he had any right to the throne, and lashed out with his mighty hammer to send his brother sprawling across the floor. Fulgrim too rose to the challenge, claiming that as his legion had been granted a name explicitly referring to the Emperor he should take the position. A fight broke out with no fatalities but the emergent victor was none other than Roboute Guilliman.

A dark state was established in the Empireís wake, and the ten remaining Legions fought even harder and more viciously than they had before the Rebellion. The New Empire hierarchy however was plagued by infighting, and unless someone above you was slain in battle assassination was the order of promotion. An Emperor needed to be strong to weed out the opposition and eliminate any threats from without or within. The Emperor always knows that they exist to make war, so unlike the original Emperor they rarely stay on High Terra, instead fighting at the forefront of their crusade and showing their enemies and allies alike not only that they rule, but also why they rule. Now, however, almost all of the Primarchs have fallen in battle or disappeared from the face of the galaxy. Only Magnus the Red is known to be certainly still alive, although the condition of some of the Primarchs (notably Alpharius and Corax) remains in dispute.

The current Emperor of the Human Empire is Marneus Calgar, Legion Master of the Ultramarines. He is a brutal leader, ruthless and cunning, and he fights like an animal. He, like all good Emperors, leads from the front, but disturbingly to those free races who would oppose the Emperor he shows incredible resilience and absolutely no signs of dying.

[hr]
To use the Human Empire Space Marines in games of Warhammer 40,000, use the rules presented in Codex: Space Marines with no modifications.
[hr]
[hr]

There are other races to come, all with changes to the established background that makes them fit in in this mirror universe. The idea of parallel universes where things are the same but different has always been appealing to me, so I thought the next logical step would be to rewrite things here...

Forthcoming parts of this project include fluff stories and full race backgrounds for all the races, as well as some artwork, including (but not limited to... I have to give you guys some things to look forward to!):
Free Marines
High Eldar
Eldarin
The Ork Alliance
The Tau Union

I appreciate some of you may think this is a silly idea but I had great fun writing it and I will continue to do so until it is finished. Any constructive criticism is appreciated. I am aware that there may be holes in my story so far (though please nobody point out the lack of Chaos, that will be addressed when I post the Free Marines).

Edit: I trust you guys to know what I'm aiming at but I figured I'd point this out quickly. I don't want people coming to me saying "but the Emperor was a good guy" or "Rogal Dorn would never kill his father" or "Wtf are the Sons of Sigmar?". This is a parallel universe. Many many things are the same, but also fundamental aspects (such as the personalities of major characters, or whether a certain Primarch was found or not) are totally different. This is the point. I'm happy to have people say "what happened with the other Primarchs? Isn't it important?" and even have those people in on the creative process to help me address that, but I will get very annoyed very quickly if people say "er... Circus, that isn't how it happened lol!"
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 00:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Warhammer 40,000: Paradigm Shift Part II: History, but not as we know it

Pretty cool idea Circus!
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 10:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Warhammer 40,000: Paradigm Shift Part II: History, but not as we know it

Just had a thought - would this be better in a Project Log so I can do all the updates in one thread?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 13:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I know something they don't know, doo-da, doo-da!

HAHA.

Great ideas man.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 12:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

nice, man, but you killed lorgar! how dare you? :'(