Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A few Fluff questions for a novel...
Old 24 Jan 2008, 01:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Khalastas
Default A few Fluff questions for a novel...

Hey all,
No idea where else to ask these, so I wrote them down here.

I am going to write a novel themed around an Imperial Citizen who is recruited into the Imperial Guardsmen and is posted on a distant moon, where nothing is as it seems. The taint is thick, dangerous warp storm predictions are being made and everywhere, important people are found dead...

Anyway, here:

1. What (if any) is the Imperial currency?

2. What foods do citizens eat?

3. What clothes do citizens wear?

Thanks, I have to go check up on my Stealers which are drying atm.
-Khalastas
Old 25 Jan 2008, 08:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: A few Fluff questions for a novel...

I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

1. As far as I know, the Imperial Crown is a standard unit of coinage[sup]1[/sup] but I've never heard of any other currency referred to as anything other than 'credits'.

2. Normal food? I think it depends entirely on what planet you're talking about and who. Ivan Peitrick, a miner assigned to Ore Face 325 on Perox IV comes back to his hab after every shift to a delicious pile of reconstituted meat products (affectionately known as Grub) and a pile of local mushrooms that his wife bought when her shift ended.

On the other hand, Lord Imperial Commander Ixian Verius feasts every night on a delicious range of yummy things. Some nights it's a Roasted Terraboar covered in Cream de Polumapple with a sour green wine from the famous vineyards of Marthax Septum. For dessert he has, if he has any say in it, a delicious local delicacy known as a "Brain Scorcher" While it is quite proletarian, he has a weak spot in his heart (stomach?) for them. The Brain Scorcher is essentially a red daividian pepper, a very common local weed, wrapped in a chocolate wafer and covered in hot fudge. He likes them quite a lot.

So pretty much you can make up whatever you want.

3. Again, same as above... although minus the food. Pretty sure you've got free reign on this one, too. There's some crazy examples of flamboyant dress in Eisenhorn. Anything involving the Rouge Trader Tobias Maxilla ought to help you out with 'high style.'

To get better answers you might want to ask a mod to move this to the 40k Universe child board of the General 40k sub-forum. More (wiser) people I'm sure will see it there.

Best of luck with your story,

-Grandpa Ducky

[sup]1[/sup] Source: Esienhorn, Twist bar scene and short story Backcloth for a Crown Additional found in the Omnibus.

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with everything GD says but would like to add that each world will probably have only 1 system of curency (although that might not include interplanatary currency) and whilst clothes vary a lot, for teh prolitereate it would be very functional, mainly trousers and shirts with reasonably narrow cuffs (less stuff to get caught in machinery or something) and priest would probably all wear simmilar habits.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 07:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sorry I cant help, but I do have a question.

What does "fluff" mean? I hear it all the time recently but I just don't get it.

Does it mean like different background kinda things about the armies that don't actually do anything to the game.

Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2008, 08:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Background material pretty much. "Fluff" usually refers to material not pertaining to the rules, so your assumption would be correct.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 19:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think that the answer to 3. is that it varies. The poor civilians who live near the bottom of the city wear little more than rags, while the rich wear ornate, sort of medival clothes. or so i would geuss.
Old 07 Apr 2008, 05:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you want a nice amount of food mentioned, In the Ciaphas Cain Book, Death or Glory, the people are starving so when they get some food the describe alot of it.

For example, Cain often eats "grox rolls"
A Grox is the 40k version of a cow basically. So a grox roll is like 2 rough slices of bread a thin beef patty.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 12:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

i think that grox is a pretty standard food, along with grain products like bread and milk based things such as cheese.
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 16:14   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalastas
1. What (if any) is the Imperial currency?
According to Dark Heresy, "Throne Gelt" or "Thrones" is the standard currency.

Quote:
2. What foods do citizens eat?
Varies greatly. A Hive Worlder's diet will consist primarily of reprocessed rations, which themselves will be recycled waste and/or people from higher up the Hive. By contrast, a fishing colony will eat fish, an Agri-world lots of crops and meats, etc.

Quote:
3. What clothes do citizens wear?
Again, varies wildly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2008, 15:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

give us some sepcifics about the world you're talking about and we'll be able to give you specific help.

is it rich? is it an agri world? does it grow crops at all or does it import them? is it a centre of trade? is it a hive world?
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote