Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

i need help with a custom tank
Old 19 Jan 2008, 04:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default i need help with a custom tank

Ok this is my first scratch made data sheet. Itís for an apocalypse game. The phoenix is a heavily modified baneblade. It represents a hybrid of tau and imperial technology the fluff behind it is basically on one of the imperial worlds that fell to the tau there was a group of monks (called the keepers of the phoenix) that worshiped an entity called the phoenix they felt it was there duty to provide a host for the phoenix this has usually taken the form of a powerful and mobile unit for the imperial army. Most recently it was a baneblade that was destroyed in the fall of the world. Since the phoenix represents an actual warp entity that is actually rather powerful and due to its nature (rebirth) very difficult to destroy and the keepers of the phoenix already had strained relations with the imperium the tau commanders decided that the easiest way to deal with the phoenix would be to offer advanced tau technology and aid in building the next vessel for the phoenix in exchange for loyalty. The keepers of the phoenix accepted, but insisted that the new vessel should share as many parts with the old one as possible to ease the transition. So the phoenix super heavy tank was born. Using both advanced tau tech and spare parts left over from when they fielded a baneblade they made the phoenix tank. Iím still iffy on just what the stats for it will be but I have this much down.

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Front[/td][td]Side[/td][td]Rear[/td][td]Bs[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]phoenix tank[/td][td]650?[/td][td]13[/td][td]12[/td][td]12[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][/table]
structure points: 3

weapons
-hull mounted twin linked heavy bolter
-two sponsons each with a twin linked heavy bolter and a rail gun that can't use sub munitions
- phoenix variant photon cannon with co-axial auto cannon

phoenix variant photon cannon (primary wepon)
Range: 60" Strength: 9 AP: 1 heavy 2/Lance
When the Photon Cannon is fired at a non-vehicle unit, it inflicts 2D6+2 hits, rather than 2 as would normally be the case. This represents the photon beam slashing its way through the armor and bodies of the soldiers. Against vehicles, the Cannon inflicts 2 hits as normal.

special rules
phoenix within
the phoenix tank is the host of a powerful warp entity that symbolizes rebirth as such it is much easer to repair than most other tanks. when using damage control action each roll is successful on a 4+

Other than that everything is still up in the air (and that isnít exactly set in stone either) I could really use some suggestions on what to give this thing keep in mind I am basing it off the baneblade
random man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 20:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: i need help with a custom tank

For starters, the Photon Gun is not Ordnance or Barrage (and therefore does not scatter), so a co-axial weapon provides no benefit (as the co-axial rule allows you to re-roll the scatter dice for the main gun if the secondary gun hits).

For the damage control rule, a simple way to improve it would be to make all of the repair dice need only a 4+ instead of a 5+ in order to repair damage.

Also, I would give it the Monolith's Hover rule (or even just leave it as a tank),a skimmer would be very hard to kill and cost a LOT of points. Speaking of points, my best guess is that this thing would be about 600 with the hover rule, since it has better maneuverability and a bit more firepower than a 500 point Baneblade, plus the repair rule.
Mortalis Guard 1 1 0
T3h Sh4d0w 1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2008, 04:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i think the ponderous rule is a good idea i mean a super heavy skimmer just seems wrong when i stop and think about it. also i think we are talking about different photon guns I'm talking about a crazy home brew that can be found hear
(http://www.tauonline.org/Article/180/TauPhotonCannon/)

as for the damage control check the 4+ sound about right maybe attach a few strings though only once per game ,-bs for a turn something like that
Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h Sh4d0w 1337
For starters, the Photon Gun is not Ordnance or Barrage (and therefore does not scatter), so a co-axial weapon provides no benefit (as the co-axial rule allows you to re-roll the scatter dice for the main gun if the secondary gun hits).
Read the rule again. The co-axial weapon allows a re-roll to hit OR a re-roll of the scatter dice for barrage or ordnance weapons.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2008, 23:48   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

excellent ;D now all i need to do calculate the points. lets take a look at the mains cannon. against tanks and monstrous creatures it makes the bane blade cannon cry its self to sleep. but is worse against infantry since even 2D6+2 hist is probly less than you would get with a 10 inch blast. so it's maybe 50 to 100 points better than a bane blade cannon
Old 27 Jan 2008, 09:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmmmm.... That is an interesting bit of fluff there...

Well, the points cost seems fairly balanced, I don't know much about super-heavy tanks, but it looks about right. The Photon Cannon alone is about 60-70 points, maybe more (To mount it on a battlesuit is nuts!).

Keep up the good work, I'm interested in how this will turn out!

Harlequin2 8)
Making clowning around, a profession...
Harlequin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok lest say 65 pts to replace the bane blade cannon with the photon gun. replacing a auto canon with a mark light seems to be an Evan trade to me, so how much should i add for upgrading the two las canons to rail guns? and how much should i remove for getting rid of the demolisher cannon?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hmmmm actually.... a warhaond only costs 750 and while this is a powerful tank, it's not as good as a warhound titan. i would take a double barreled turbo laser destructor over the photon gun any day..... maybe I should just call it 650 pts?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 01:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Good catch on the Co-axial rule, although that would be worth far more points for a multi-shot weapon like the Photon Gun.

I would make the Markerlight a special Targeting Beam or something, there's no need for it to produce a marker token.

A total of 650 points sounds about right, it has slightly better firepower (from the co-axial-boosted Photon Gun), improved damage control, and is a skimmer (I would give it a top speed of 6", like a normal Super-heavy), these are somewhat countered by having less front armor.
Mortalis Guard 1 1 0
T3h Sh4d0w 1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 19:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i disagree about the marker light. since an auto cannon gets more shots it is much more likely to actually hit than the marker light (marker lights can't benefit from other marker lights) so i think when it does hit it should give a larger acruacy boost than an auto cannon, and that not Evan taking into account that an auto cannon can actually kill things