Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Codex Project: Legions of Khorne
Old 11 Jun 2007, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Codex Project: Legions of Khorne

Well, the rumours floating around about the new Chaos book indicate that the "Cult" armies are no more.

First, let us sit back and laugh our heads of at every Iron Warrior player who complains about this change, as those that do are just beardy little tossers in dire need of a forced threesome with a Slaneeshi and a Plague Marine.

However, what about the rest of us? Well, I for one am sick to the back teeth of Games Workshop releasing Chaos Codex after Chaos Codex, and all of them being wrong! Wrong, you say? Yes, wrong.

They are wrong because Khorne Berserkers should be Str 5. +1 Attack for Mark of Khorne? WHAT!? That's the sort of upgrade you give to the transvestites over in the Emperor's Children! Tell me, what do Khorne Daemons get? What have Bloodletters always had to mark them out as patrons of the Blood God? +1 Strength. Why, then, are the mortals not given the true Mark of Khorne?

Anyway, this line of thought, combined with the news that Chaos was finally losing everything beardy (expect the Codex to be three pages thick :), I thought it would be a nice oppertunity to set about creating my own Chaos Codex... Legions of Khorne.

Why Khorne? Well, Khorne rocks! There is something wonderful about Khorne... and it's probably the fact that Khorne is all about hitting people with Chainaxes until they explode. Sod all your fancy Psykers, your cunning schemes, your festering walking corpses and your poncy, girly, namby-pamby cross-dressing freaks who sing Emo at you until you suffer a brain haemorrage, with Khorne you just scream [size=14pt]BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!![/size] The rest will just sort itself.

So, what will Legions of Khorne consist of? Well, not only does this give you a whole army of Str 5 Marines to play with, but there's so much more available! Things like the Cauldron of Blood, the Quad-mortar of Khorne, the Brass Scorpion... Khorne loves his Daemon Engines, and with so many out there it's the perfect oppertunity to create a real Chaos Codex! Come on, how many of you have wished Chaos was something other than just Marines gone Emo?

So, to summarise the Legion of Khorne concept...

HQ:
Lord, Lieutenant, Bloodthirster, Kharn the Betrayer, plus any other Special Character that emerge along the way.

Elites:
Chosen, Possessed, maybe some psychotic stuff... oh, and Dreads.

Troops:
Khorne Berserkers (Str 5 A 1), Bloodletters (the non-beardy version).

Fast Attack:
Khorne Bikers, Flesh-hounds of Khorne, possibly some sort of Daemon Engine.

Heavy Support:
Daemon Engines, Daemon Engines and more Daemon Engines! Bugger the Astartes gear, real men build living altars to the Blood God and have at it!

Now, to the conclusion of this meandering rant. Codex: Legions of Khorne aims to achieve the following:
  • Have real Khorne Berserkers.
  • Be inkeeping with the modern trend of Codices (ie: no all-conquering HQs).
  • Be as different from Loyalist Marines as possible
  • Have options other than "CHAAAAARGE!" (Khorne does approve shooting, despite what some may claim.
  • Make every Chaos player wish they played Khorne.

So, in this spirit, I am opening this up to ideas and suggestions. What, in your opinion, is essential for a Khorne army? What units would you kill your own mother to field? Indeed, if you could kill your mother and use her entrails to create a new unit, what would this be?

Let the ideas (and Blood) flow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 17:10   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Codex Project: Legions of Khorne

who says khorn berserker's are all strength 5 + 1 attack........ lets have some variety here maby like a fury squad which instead of 3 attacks base they have 4 or 5 but with ws 3 strength 4 or maybe a destroyer squad you know heavy hitters like one attack each ws 4 strength 6 or 7 power weapons you know lets get creative.

wolf-bane012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahhh... Khorne was my first chaos army and even though I eventually switched to undivided, becoming the self-hating Iron Warrior (I wasn't in it for the cheese, honest!), the blood-splattered lunatics of khorne will always have a place in my corrupted, blackened heart. ;D

Anywho, on with my musings.

-Firstly, I think the axe of khorne should make a comeback. I'd say restrict it so you can't give it to every champion in existance. Plus, I reckon a pts hike is in order. It's just too much fun to die!

-I know we don't want superman HQs, but Khornate Lords should have a definate edge over your average marine commander.

-Keep the chainaxe.

-I picture Bloodletters almost like summoned Wulfen. I'd say a couple attacks base at strength 5, but they move and assault the closest enemy once they've been summoned (let's face it, a bloodletter simply will not listen). Drop that armour save to a 4+ or even 5+

-Flesh Hounds. Trade in the armour save for cavalry movement and a collar of khorne and you've about got it. Both the khornate daemons should be like releasing the hounds once they've been summoned. You point them at the enemy, say go and watch them tear into them.

-Chosen should be scary. None of this infiltration nonsense, just boosted combat stats. Heavy price tag, but if these boys hit combat, it should get very, very messy. Maybe these are the guys with 2 attacks

That's what I can think of for now
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 03:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I agree with most of this stuff, and even though I don't particularly like chaos (especially Khorne) because I play Tau, there are just some things that have to stay, even if they need to be changed a little. Fishy made a good point with the axe of Khorne.

Berserker Glaive: Just say it doubles your base number of attacks, and makes you a point & assault weapon (like Fish 'Ead's idea for the Khorne Daemons), and is a daemon weapon.

Also, I'm liking the sound of the Brass Scorpion. So, my thoughts on that:

Walker, obviously, maybe fleet, certainly some ability to re-roll terrain rolls.
AV 11/11/10 at a guess, maybe better.
Armed with two great choppy claws (D6 Attacks each, count as Dread CCW's), something exceedingly nasty in the tail, probably a reaper autocannon, or plasma cannon.
Might have an upgrade to allow it to be used for summoning a specific kind of daemon.

And with it's speed, if it has fleet, it could count as fast attack.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 09:51   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

My thoughts exactly; Chaos Furioso! ;D

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:32   #6 (permalink)
Anton

Well, if you stick it out a while IA6 is concentrated heavily on the World Eaters and the Alpha Legion, both of which have always suffered due to the lack of decent rules.

The World Eaters should have some rule which effects the enemies morale, because the World Eaters are essentially the most feared and destructive of all of the Chaos Legions, and I think it would be great if somehow the enemy was effected by the presence of such feared and dreaded opponents. It shouldn't be all to powerful, just something which adds a bit of spice to the battle, and lets your opponent know you are playing World Eaters.

We should also invent our own, better fluff! The stuff in the current Codex is...mild. The World Eaters have, as their name states, eaten worlds, burnt civilizations and annihilated any and all who dare to stand before them. Abaddon uses the World Eaters like a weapon of mass destruction, because that's what they are a weapon, which of course causes massive destruction.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:38   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, how about this:

Fury of Khorne: The World Eaters are a truly terrifying foe to face, and the very mention of their name causes men to quake in terror.

Any unit that loses assault against a World Eaters unit suffers a -1 Ld modifier, in addition to all other modifiers.

Quote:
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
We should also invent our own, better fluff! The stuff in the current Codex is...mild. The World Eaters have, as their name states, eaten worlds, burnt civilizations and annihilated any and all who dare to stand before them. Abaddon uses the World Eaters like a weapon of mass destruction, because that's what they are a weapon, which of course causes massive destruction.
So, free license on blood, gore, spilling entrails, rending flesh, horrific and graphic detail.
(I can let my sick, twisted twin out of my mind? please say yes, please. > :P)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:49   #9 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Well, how about this:

Fury of Khorne: The World Eaters are a truly terrifying foe to face, and the very mention of their name causes men to quake in terror.

Any unit that loses assault against a World Eaters unit suffers a -1 Ld modifier, in addition to all other modifiers.
Sounds good. It's useful, and yet not abusable. It adds sugar & spice to your games, I mean who wouldn't be soiling themselves when you have 3 dozen 8ft Power Armoured, Axe wielding maniacs shouting for you blood and skulls. :P

Now, Khornate Lords should be absolutely fearsome. These guys will have single handedly burnt planets in their name, they will have killed just about anything that be can killed and are each like death, and Khorne incarnate. But like every bad ass villain, there should be a weakness. Blood Frenzy seems the most obvious, but I think we should go for something intresting. I could just picture one of these guys be consumed during the heat of battle by the Red Thirst of Khorne, rendering them incapable of leading their forces as they are so deep into their frenzy.

Lords should be fluffy,fearsome yet somehow fragile, and weak. Perhaps we should consider creating new, unique Daemon Weapons, which are potent, yet dangerous to the user. 40k is a game of constant gambles and risks, and whilst some people pay attention to these risks, many don't so we should make weapons powerful, and give them powerful drawbacks. I'm not talking "perils of the warp" or "mastery" just something where the call of Khorne is so great they are oblivious to danger, leaving them vulnerable, and exposed, yet still powerful.

Ideas?
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:08   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think that the Lords should work much as Fantasy characters do; their role is to bolster the line, not break it single-handed.

Considering the Marines have lost many of their most powerful combos, and that even the Blood Angels are being tamed, the World Eaters should match; a World Eater Lord should be a truly frightening prospect, but should not be walking through Wraithlords and Genestealers.

Perhaps the simplest way of doing this is to curb Daemonic upgrades; your Lord is either Mortal, or a Daemon. There is no in-between.

Mortal Lords are pure Melee goodness. Being Str 5, they're already going to be able to beat down their Imperial equivalents without touching anything fancier than a Power Weapon! Start throwing in lots more shiny bits, and you're guaranteed to have a guy that will make you cringe when he hits.

The Daemon Prince, on the other hand, should be more about power. It's a Monstrous Creature, so number of attacks takes a back seat here. Whilst a Mortal gets more hits out, a Daemon Prince has the raw power.

The important part, however, is to prevent the traditional beardy combos; no more Daemon Princes with 27 Power Weapon attacks, a 2+ save, 4+ Invun and Feel No Pain.

Quote: