Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Imperial Guard Regiment and world
Old 08 Apr 2007, 07:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to MaddPhish
Default New Imperial Guard Regiment and world

Well, whilst looking through various concept artbooks for ideas for conversions I kinda developed my own deathworld and it's inhabitants. I kinda like them, though I doubt I'll ever make an entire army of these guys, I might make a few. Anyways, please comment on these guys for conflicts with cannon or anything like that. Part of the theme was the fact I don't remember a guard regiment coming from a world like this.

Prometheus is a hellish world of almost constant volcanic activity everywhere upon its surface, the heat making the world almost uninhabitable. If not for one fact the world would've been passed up by the Imperium entirely, but people eek out a living to harvest the planet's magma and lava which contains great amounts of adamantium ore in an easy to process form. The entire world is devoted to harvesting the invaluable metal that armors the Imperium's stalwart warriors. Despite the rich deposits, Prometheus is not a forgeworld, only casting the metal into ingots to be sent elsewhere for working.

The warriors of Prometheus have mastered combat in the hellish firestorm their world is constantly engulfed in. The main problem was their equipment, all of which had to be modified, under the watchful eye of Adeptus Mechanicus, to operate in the blast furnace of a planet. They wear heavy cooling suits and a massive coolant/radiator system on their backs, but despite the weight and thickness of the protective wear, it offers no more protection than the standard Cadian fatigues, flack jacket and helmet. The reason for this is that the armor incorporates no hard plate sections, and very little ballistic grade fabrics in an effort to keep the wieght to a managable level. Also, because of the size and gait forced upon a trooper by the backpack, other guard regiments often refer to Prometheans as 'Hunchbacks'.

Weapons required almost compelete overhauls to operate in the harsh environ. As one might expect the Prometheans eschew plasma weapons, as cooling them is hard enough in normal temperatures. Like wise flamers see limited use, though they have been used effectively in some situations to overwhelm enemy heat shields. Melta weapons are still useful, and popular in certain units, while hated in others for the additional maintence they require. The Prometheans rely on las and kinetic weaponry, the latter more common among Promethean regiments than other regiments since Adeptus Mechanicus Alchemists have found it easier to develop powders with high flashpoints than make las weapons as rapid firing and compact as normal patterns. Some people make the mistake of assuming that the only las weapon troops carry are Hellguns, due to the fact they connect to the backpacks via cables. This is simply the standard lasgun with a connection to the soldier's backpack heatsink system. Soldiers used to managing their heat can maintain a rate of fire similar to standard lasgun patterns.

The Prometheans also tend to field large numbers of infantry, with few supporting vehicles. Unlike most of the problems inflicted by the planet, in this case the heat is the least of the trouble. Armor requires drastically more maintence on the world because of the glass-like volcanic ash working into moving parts and clogging up filters. As a result most vehicles stationed on Prometheus have very tempermental machine spirits and require many hours of sanctifying for each hour of fighting.

The Prometheans have also proven useful in other environs, especially jungles. Off of their own world they like to make themselves more at home by using flamers and melta weapons to set fire to the entire battlefield
WHOILE FOLLOW EYEZ DA STEDDY KEEL DA VESSUL GRIM AN' DARIN':
BUT O 'ERT, 'ERT, 'ERT!
O DA BLEEDIN' DROPS O RED!
WHERE ON DA DEKK ME KAP'N LIES,
FALL'N KOLD AN' DEDD.

OI KAP'N MOI KAP'N! ROIZE UP AN' 'EAR DA WAAAGH!
ROIZE UP FER YEZ - DA BANNER IZ FLUNG - FER YEZ DA SHOOTA DAKKAZ;
FER YEZ POINTY STIKKS AN' IRON GOBZ - FER YEZ DA GROT PITZ A-CROWDIN;
FER YEZ DEY KALL, DA MOBBIN' BOYZ, DER EAGER MUGZ TURNIN';
OI KAP'N!
MaddPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 08:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New Imperial Guard Regiment and world

I like this ALOT ;D.If you were to post this in the imperial guard forums you would get more replies though.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to munkey

i love the idea of a regiment of piromaniacs! i'd enlist! >

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special 'bout iz 'ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i'd look pretty silly 'wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn't i!"

-Gorgutz Dow winter assault

munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Beautiful stuff. I specifically liked the part about other regiments calling them "Hunchbacks" and the line about the "temperamental machine spirits." I had a good laugh.

Only problem is that Prometheus is a world in 40k already. Prometheus is a rather large moon of Nocturne, a recruiting base for the Salamanders. By 'rather large' I mean that Prometheus is roughly two-thirds the size of Nocture. Prometheus houses the Salamanders iddy-biddy fortress-monetary and has no atmosphere what-so-ever to speak of. Essentially, it's a barren rock.

The reason the Salamanders decided to build on Prometheus instead of Nocturne is because Nocture is famously geographically unstable. (Think about it, you'd be too if you had a moon two-thirds the size of you floating around.) All of the settlements on Nocture are nomadic in nature so the inhabitants can quickly pack-up and move out of the way of the latest volcano or the ever-shifting boiling seas.

Oddly enough, the Salamanders and their Nocturne recruitment base are rather pyro-ish, too. Two words: Promethean Cult. If you don't know anything about them, picture massive superhuman soldiers (the Salamanders) applying honours via burning marks into skin, walking across massive patches of red coals and competitions to see who's best at carrying huge flaming-hot pieces of metal on their bare backs.

Overall amazing fluff, just need a new planet,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Eh, thanks for the replies. I had no idea about the world already called Prometheus, so I'll have to think up another name. Oh well, that shouldn't be too hard. And if you guys are wondering kinda what they look like, it's sorta a cross between the white armored Combine Elite from HL2 crosses with the Mustafarian outfits shown on page 38 of The Art of Revenge of the Sith, if you have that book. Their overall posture and gait comes from video clips of the "Big Daddy" enemies from the up coming game Bioshock.

I"m suprised this has been recieved so well since I only started out with the vision of bulkily clothed soldiers stomping across the volcanic wastelands of their homeworld, slowly trudging under the weight of thier gear. After that the problems they'd encounter on their world came to me as I wrote and I just added it in there.

Anyways I might get a mod to move this to IG, but I was playing it safe since I thought this is where I needed to post something like this. After I get done painting my core army I might have to create one of these guys just to have a nice mini to look at of my soldiers. Perhaps that'll grow into an army, but I kinda doubt that.

Anyways, thanks everyone.
WHOILE FOLLOW EYEZ DA STEDDY KEEL DA VESSUL GRIM AN' DARIN':
BUT O 'ERT, 'ERT, 'ERT!
O DA BLEEDIN' DROPS O RED!
WHERE ON DA DEKK ME KAP'N LIES,
FALL'N KOLD AN' DEDD.

OI KAP'N MOI KAP'N! ROIZE UP AN' 'EAR DA WAAAGH!
FER YEZ POINTY STIKKS AN' IRON GOBZ - FER YEZ DA GROT PITZ A-CROWDIN;
FER YEZ DEY KALL, DA MOBBIN' BOYZ, DER EAGER MUGZ TURNIN';
OI KAP'N!
Old 30 Apr 2007, 19:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++Nice! What models do you use for them?+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 06:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Prometheus is already a Sallie planet, but the fluff is cool
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Shas O Dalyth Montau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas O Dalyth Montau
Prometheus is already a Sallie planet,
already been said.

@MaddPhish : i really (like really) love this idea! so if you don&#39;t mind or anything i&#39;d like to make a new IG army outta this.

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special &#39;bout iz &#39;ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i&#39;d look pretty silly &#39;wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn&#39;t i!"

Old 02 May 2007, 07:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wow, someone wanting to make the actual army is possibly the ultimate compliment. I was going to make a few full sculpts maybe 3 or 4 of them once I get my current guard army up to about 1500 pts. After that I was going to cast maybe a squad or two of them. I&#39;m looking for a new name for them , but in the mean time I&#39;ll PM some pictures of what I imagine them to look like to you Munkey. After that I suppose you can find a some minis or convert a few to look like them.
OI KAP&#39;N MY KAP&#39;N! OUR FEARFUL TRIP &#39;ES DUN!
DA ROKK &#39;AS WETHERD EV&#39;RY RAKK DA PROIZE WE SOTT IZ WUNN!
DA PORT IS NEAH DA BELLZ OI &#39;EAR DA BOYZ IZ ALL EXULTINGZ!
WHOILE FOLLOW EYEZ DA STEDDY KEEL DA VESSUL GRIM AN&#39; DARIN&#39;:
BUT O &#39;ERT, &#39;ERT, &#39;ERT!
O DA BLEEDIN&#39; DROPS O RED!
WHERE ON DA DEKK ME KAP&#39;N LIES,
FALL&#39;N KOLD AN&#39; DEDD.

OI KAP&#39;N MOI KAP&#39;N! ROIZE UP AN&#39; &#39;EAR DA WAAAGH!
FER YEZ POINTY STIKKS AN&#39; IRON GOBZ - FER YEZ DA GROT PITZ A-CROWDIN;
FER YEZ DEY KALL, DA MOBBIN&#39; BOYZ, DER EAGER MUGZ TURNIN&#39;;
OI KAP&#39;N!
Old 09 May 2007, 01:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddPhish
Wow, someone wanting to make the actual army is possibly the ultimate compliment. I was going to make a few full sculpts maybe 3 or 4 of them once I get my current guard army up to about 1500 pts. After that I was going to cast maybe a squad or two of them. I&#39;m looking for a new name for them , but in the mean time I&#39;ll PM some pictures of what I imagine them to look like to you Munkey. After that I suppose you can find a some minis or convert a few to look like them.
i have an idea of what i&#39;ll use, though it&#39;ll only be like a 500 pt army. I need another pic though, the one you sent me didn&#39;t work.

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special &#39;bout iz &#39;ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i&#39;d look pretty silly &#39;wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn&#39;t i!"