Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Variable Ion Blaster Idea/thoughts/critique
Old 25 Feb 2007, 00:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Variable Ion Blaster Idea/thoughts/critique

Variable Ion Blaster (Farsight Enclave, XV-2 Class Wargear)
With the usage of the Cyclic Ion Blaster is seeing in the battlefields, it was inevitable that Commander Farsight would eventually receive a few in partial payment for his services. However, it was damaged and repaired as much as Commander Farsight's few Earth Caste members could, resulting in more variation and fewer shots. However, it was made more compact, capable of being equipped on XV-2 Classed Battle Suits.

Cost: Either 12 or 15, no chance for twin-linking. Takes up either 1 or 2 Hardpoints, pending how well it does, etc...(So a Stealth Suit would take this as the weapon, and not be able to receive the secondary support system if it takes 2 hardpoints.)
[table][tr][td]Strength[/td][td]Range[/td][td]AP[/td][td]Type[/td][/tr][tr][td]As the "To Hit" roll[/td][td]18"[/td][td]As the "To Wound" roll[/td][td]Assault 4[/td][/tr][/table]

One in three XV-25 Stealth Suits may take this instead of the Fusion Blaster as is normal. This is only usable in the Codex: Farsight Enclave Forces.

So the higher you score on To hit, the higher the Strength of the shot. The higher the roll to wound, the higher the AP value. Potentially a S6 AP2 weapon. Or a S2 AP 6 weapon. This kept it from getting out of hand, where a S2 weapon would have AP 1 to wound a SM, S3 AP 1 or 2 only wounding a SM, etc...upto S6 being able to roll 4-6 Being AP 1-3, and 2 and 3 being AP and 5. It got out of hand way too quickly, and went against intuition (Stronger shot would be a better AP).

As it is, I am considering making it 7-To Hit, and 7-To Wound for the Stength and AP respectively, making it the opposite of the curve as it is now. As it is, each increase in BS grants a small fraction over the base, while if the above-mentioned modification were to be made, it would decrease the effectiveness dramatically, and each increase would add more.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2007, 06:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Variable Ion Blaster Idea/thoughts

All right, I think I've found the kills for this weapon:

I've churned out the chances for GEq, MEq, and TEq for BS 1,2,3,4 and 5.
BS 2 3 4 5
GEq 56/54 84/54 106/54 122/54
MEq 30/54 36/54 40/54 42/54
TEq 14/54 17/54 19/54 20/54

Right now, the BS v. Kills curve capers off towards the higher end of the BS, while the most improvement is towards the lower-end. If I change it so the Strength is 7-"to hit" and the AP is 7-"to wound" then the curve will be opposite.

P.S. Bumpity Bump.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote