Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Codex: Finnish Defence Forces 1st EdDITION READY!!!
Old 09 Feb 2007, 16:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Taukki
Default Codex: Finnish Defence Forces 1st EdDITION READY!!!

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Mayby a bit joke, but fun to do. Work in progress:
[size=14pt] Background[/size]
By some strange warp phenomenons Finland, from the world we know, was ripped off and ”teleported” to Ork planet of Jurn in Segmentum Tempestus. Unfortunately this created a gap between Russia and Sweden. Only two pieces of Finland were saved, Ahvenanmaa(Åland) and Turku(Åbo).
Also must be noted that orks didn't too much appreciate the newcomers and launched series of attacks against the Finns. The battles lasted 105 days. The Finns fought the Orks in an epic struggle for their lives, the outcome can only be called miraculous. 2,500,000 Orks under the cover incredible artillery bombardment crossed into Finland to destroy all nasty ”hummies” from their planet. It would be a "walk over;" Bigboss Guuglar estimated it would take only few days for his countless warriors to ”reconquer” Finnish territory.
Guuglar never suspected that his army was about to plunge into a frozen hell, the second coldest winter since ”a long time,” and oppose Mannermaa, probably one of the greatest defensive tacticians of the time. So confident were the Orks of a quick march to victory that they came to front line drunken or otherwise intoxicated, naturally without winter uniforms and without supplies for a protracted campaign.
For 105 days the Orks died at the incredible rate of nearly 100,000 per day and the Finns lost 250 per day. When the Orks finally decided to give up, the Finns counted 25,000 dead and 55,000 wounded, a terrible price for a country of only five million people. However, even the Finns did not know the devastation that they had caused the Orks until years later. All this was at the hands of an army of less than 500,000 (mostly light infantry, Jaegers). In the words of a veteran, Antti Olavi Pönkänen, who fought in this war: "Our lakes are full of dead Orks."
The Orks attacked in huge mobs across frozen lakes, their red-painted equipment easily visible against the white snow. Machine guns enfiladed the lakes and Jaeger troops, most of whom were expert shots, armed with one of the best military rifles ever made, the Rynnäkkö Kivääri m/08, picked them off one by one. One Finnish soldier, Corporal Simo Häyhä was credited with more than 5000 known kills.
One of the most famous early battles of the ”Winter War” occurred at Suomussalmi. One Ork Mob advanced along the Raate Road from the south and another Ork Mob advanced from Juntusranta from the North. They were supposed to link up at Suomussalmi and then head West across Finland to Oulu and cut the country in half. Ork strength totalled 480,000 orks, 3350 cannon, 1000 tanks and 500 other vehicles. The Finnish defenders reinforced from a few thousand now numbered 24,000 with 70 cannons under the command of Colonel Hjalmar Siilasvuo; his only hope was to defeat the Orks in detail. And he did.
To slow down the north mob, Finnish ski troops made wide circling flanking movements of 20 to 30 miles under cover of the long night and caught the rear and middle parts of the column by surprise. They found orks huddled around fires in -40°C weather easy prey to RK fire and grenades. Almost any wound was fatal. As the south mob approached Suomussalmi down the Raate Road, they had to pass between Kuomasjärvi and Kuivasjärvi on a narrow isthmus. 700 Finns in hand-to-hand combat closed the isthmus. Trees were now felled across the road in front and behind with the mob strung out along the road. The other mob only six miles north engaged in desperate struggles to push the Finns west, but were stopped. Much of this fighting was hand to hand. After four days, both the north mob and south mob were stopped dead in their tracks.
The south mob had a really bad situation. Trees blocked the roads which prevented movement. The frozen lakes around them were death traps. Any attack across the lakes were met with machine gun fire. The Ork dead were permitted lie frozen in the snow over the lakes until the thaw when their bodies sank to the bottom. Several attacks by the Finns further demoralized the Orks. Orders from the commanding Boss were to ”attack and kill hummies”. The mobs were out of food, freezing and had nowhere to go except to sit and be slaughtered at will. Of the 440,000 only 10,000 made it back.
After this Guuglar sent large numbers of reinforcements into Western Karelia. "We kills. Many hummies been killed. Many been crippled. The Finns have only their skis left. Their supply of skis never runs out."
The Orks massed 600,000 orks, artillery lined hub to hub and poured over 300,000 shells in one day on the Mannermaa Line's Summa positions. In 1.6 miles of front there were 800 cannons pounding the Finns who replied with only 19. Six Mobs supported by many tanks attacked at the Hatjalahti and Muolaa Lake sectors. The Finns pushed them back. Entire Mobs were wiped out, but more kept attacking over the frozen bodies of their comrades.
The main and final attack of the war began few days later along a five-mile front in Western Karelia with ten Mobs supported with several tank mobs. The results were the same with thousands of dead Orks lying in front of the Finnish positions and more Orks charging across their frozen bodies. Later the Orks managed to make breakthroughs on both flanks (Lake Ladoga & Gulf of Finland). Finnish troop strengths were down to one half or one third of original and the Finns were nearly out of ammunition. They were now withdrawn on to new defensive positions. The Orks made no effort to pursue them. They had found alcohol from abandoned Koskenkorva factory.
After few days, the Finns were forced to abandon Koivisto and they retreated back toward Viipuri. The need for men, arms and ammunition was desperate and Mannermaa warned the Finnish government about the potential consequences. The Finns prepared for another counter-offensive, and the Orks brought up more troops, but all was quiet. In some sectors of the line there were only a few Finns left where there had been whole units, and there was precious little ammunition. The next day it was all over; Orks got bored. Had they mounted just one more attack and they might have carried it all the way to victory, but they had lost their interest about the same time the Finns ran out of ammunition.

EDIT: Changed some stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valar
What's going on here? I've seen a kid, breasts, chopped eels, and a naked girl :P

Taukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2007, 21:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to munkey
Default Re: Codex: Finnish Defence Forces

interesting story ;D. although i think the whole "the otks lost interest and went home" thing is cheesy

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"wuts so special 'bout iz 'ead boss?"
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i'd look pretty silly 'wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn't i!"

-Gorgutz Dow winter assault

munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 12:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How about "they came so drunk from the alcohol they had found, that thay forgot what they were doing and went home."

Quote:
What's going on here? I've seen a kid, breasts, chopped eels, and a naked girl :P

Old 10 Feb 2007, 13:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm, do I detect some historical undertones? You're not comparing Orcs with....
nah, noone would insult Orcs like that. ;D
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 15:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taukki (the "Hirvi" rider)
How about "they came so drunk from the alcohol they had found, that they forgot what they were doing and went home."
that sounds better... though it would take a lot of medical alcohol to get that drunk. maybe something like "with all the alcohol that they found its wasn't long till' massive brawls developed between ork mobs and the whole waagh ground to a halt. After that it was a simple matter for the finnish army to push back the scattered remnants of the once mighty waagh."

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!
"dats were da skull iz ya git! and i'd look pretty silly 'wif iz foot on my pointy stick wouldn't i!"

Old 11 Feb 2007, 19:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

But Finns were out of ammo. Maybe Orks captured factory of Koskenkorva (Koskenkorva is a bright liquor)...
And no, this has nothing to do with Winter War in 1039 -1940 when a lot of soviets attacked Finland and got killed...

Quote:

Old 12 Feb 2007, 00:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well while attempting to remove paint today i found somthing out. medical alcohol will kill you if you drink it so maybe after the ork warboss was killed from alcohol poisining the waagh destroyed itself as various nobz vied for control.

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!

Old 12 Feb 2007, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I then should change it to underground deposit of 70% ethanol(ie. normal drinking alcohol)... Though I like the "kossu" factory idea.

EDIT: Try brake liguid. It works wonders when it comes to paint removing. Just let your models to be, one night for example, in the liguid. The next day the paint comes off like magic.

Quote:

Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ok thanks ;D. Do i scrub it off with a toothbrush ?

dis wunz fer yoo KJ!

Old 12 Feb 2007, 21:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I wouldnt, but is it suits you... :

Quote: