Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k vehicles
Closed Thread
Old 28 Dec 2006, 00:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 40k vehicles

ok me and my mates have been playtesting these rules since before 4th ed codex SM and they work, its plain and simple, why these rules cannot be iplemented into the actual game is something that only GW can answer since it was there idea that we uded in the first place.

here it is structure points for all tanks (anything with an AV) it works like this
type FR SD R Stucture points
light 10 10 10 0
med 13 11 10 0
heavy 14 12 10 1

so here we can see that light vehicles recieve no structure points at all (these av were just an example) light vehicle would become a new unit category so things like Rhino, land speeders
Devilfish and raiders would all be light therefore no Structure points

Next would be Medium Vehicles, these are things like predetors, dreads, defilers, ect.. these recieve 0 as well as there armour value is better than a light vehicle but not heavy enough to survive most AT weapons

Heavy vehicles, things like Leman russ BT, Hammerheads, would recieve 1

all this does not impact the game too greatly and like i said we have been useing these rules for a year or so now and it really does work. we have even made special rules for each armour type aswell now (like land Raiders 2 structure points). we changed the damage charts too to accout for the extra points say that "if a glancing hit 6 is scored remove 1 point" and penetrating hit "4+ 1 structure point lost and roll again, 5+ same 6+ lose 1 point and role on the table again, if no point are left there is no extra roll"

Not world changing but it works try it out and thanks for any input..... Merry Xmas
Old 28 Dec 2006, 00:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: 40k vehicles

I like that idea, but thats mainly because I think that it is VERY stupid that a LRC can get destroyed turn one. I mean, they are one of the strongest tanks in the game, if you read the fluff on them they can be used on any planet, with any fuel source, so why do they get destroyed right away by a lascannon or assault cannon shot! Heck, even Ordnance should not hurt them that bad!
Old 28 Dec 2006, 12:56   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer, The Holy Influence
I like that idea, but thats mainly because I think that it is VERY stupid that a LRC can get destroyed turn one. I mean, they are one of the strongest tanks in the game, if you read the fluff on them they can be used on any planet, with any fuel source, so why do they get destroyed right away by a lascannon or assault cannon shot! Heck, even Ordnance should not hurt them that bad!
Firstly just because a vehicle is "destroyed" doesn't mean that it is physically destroyed. It could just be crippled beyond belief. For instance, you could of hit the heavy bolter magazine onboard the land raider and blown up the power plant in the process (hence no power, no power for the tracks or lascannons).

Or you simply could of killed all crew (or enough of the crew).

But thats a side point.
I think your rules work, but also the present system works as well. And it's purely a matter of personal preference which system they should use in your games. Although your system could hinder some players. Like Ork speed freeks .
Old 28 Dec 2006, 13:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Its funny you should mention the speed freaks, becouse they neve seem to have a problem, we have removed autopinning and used a ld based test instead (with this we have said no other special rules apply like fearless or mob check) its similer to the old rules but takes into account training (certain units have better training with how to deal with an emergency, marines would bail out in an orderly fasion, Orks would sit there and say "weeeeee" when they get thrown out)

We have classed certain tanks out of there wieght class too (i.e ork transports) and given them a structure point, these were infact the only unit we had to change the points cost on. Ork battlewagons got 2 structure points like the LR and monolith as we reasoned it was a mess of parts where do you shoot it? kind of like a zombie lots o bit can be blown off but still keeps on at ya....... i love zombies

"I'm not evil! I'm misunderstood"
Abbadon the Despoiler
Old 28 Dec 2006, 13:20   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

You should post a list of all the rules changes/mods that your group plays .
Old 28 Dec 2006, 13:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok will do this may take a bit cose there alot of codex's lol

i will start with orks though, dont think i can post stats here so you will have to work with me lol
Orks
Type Name Special rules
Light Veh Kiler kan
Light Veh Buggy Fast, hard to hit (Due to the driver erratic driving or some other device this vehicle is "hard to hit" it Recieves a 5+ armour save vs non ordanance weapons, The armour plates alows this to be re-rolled)
Light Veh Gun truck Fast, hard to hit
Med Veh Dreadnought Reinforced structure(+1 structure point)
Heavy Veh Battlewagon Reinforced structure(+1 structure point)

cant remember all the ork tanks but think thats it. the hard to hit rule is something only orks get and its quite fluffy i think as it would be hard enough to hit a tank moving at hight speed, let alone one driven by an idiot or lunitic. Next post will be Marines
Old 28 Dec 2006, 14:04   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa
ok will do this may take a bit cose there alot of codex's lol

i will start with orks though, dont think i can post stats here so you will have to work with me lol
Orks
Type Name Special rules
Light Veh Kiler kan
Light Veh Buggy Fast, hard to hit (Due to the driver erratic driving or some other device this vehicle is "hard to hit" it Recieves a 5+ armour save vs non ordanance weapons, The armour plates alows this to be re-rolled)
Light Veh Gun truck Fast, hard to hit
Med Veh Dreadnought Reinforced structure(+1 structure point)
Heavy Veh Battlewagon Reinforced structure(+1 structure point)

cant remember all the ork tanks but think thats it. the hard to hit rule is something only orks get and its quite fluffy i think as it would be hard enough to hit a tank moving at hight speed, let alone one driven by an idiot or lunitic. Next post will be Marines
I don't mean all the individual rules, but I mean all the rules changes (for example the rules above), any additional shooting rules you play with, any combat rules etc.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 14:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Marines (all types)

Type Name Special rules
Light land speeder Fast, skimmer, Jink(6+ save)
light Rhino Tank
Med predetor Tank
Med Dreadnaught Reinforced Struture (+1 struture point) Siege Tank (+1 to any penetraton roles when attacking a bunker or building)
Med Vindicator Tank, Reinforced structure, Siege Tank
Heavy Land raider Crusader. Reinforced structure,
Heavy Land Raider Reinforced structure, Siege Tank
Light Defiler Move through cover (this has the same AV as a dread but becouse of its wargear options we decided a structure point would be overkill, imagine regenerating a struture point which was part of the playtest)

As for shooting Changes we have been toying with the idea of large targets ect. like warhammer.

Due to the "type" rules for vehicles we have been able to introduce ramming rules back into the game, and very fun they are too.
A vehicle can ram the weight class below them (except orks they can ram 1 weight class above themselves, so light ram med, med ram heavy ect.) but infantry can only be tank shocked. To work out the effect or a ram result, Half the ramming vehicles armour (rounding up) and add 2d6 and pick the highest, Ork vehicles can ram anything using there staring armour value however they recieve a hit aswell eqaul to the oposing vehices armour value - 2 (dreadnoughts cannot ram or be rammed they are tank shocked)
Closed Thread