Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guide to making a Codex
Old 19 Dec 2006, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer
Default Guide to making a Codex

Hello. I am in the process of making a codex for a race I am creating, called Codex: Moth'Re...

I was wondering if there are any guides on this forum or the internet, or even if any of you were willing to give/make me a guide to making a codex, like a step-by-step thing. If not that then would anyone have any tips?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: Guide to making a Codex

Well first off, how often are you planning on using the codex? Be honest, because if it isn't very often you could waste a lot of time and effort.

Next you want to think, what are you basing the units on. Will they fit into the warhammer 40,000 universe?

Next you should try to focus on army composition and style. Will your army be wimpy brutes? Close combat experts? Will they focus on long ranger encounters?

Afterwards, you wanna think, which units go where. Which unit will be leading this army? Will they have a retinue? Will you have a swarm of troops? Or expensive choices all around?

Then you start with a very rough draft of what you think the statistics should look like. You hand over those statistics to someone (me) who would be happy with over looking the units.

When you have the stats hammered, you start digging deeper, for wargear and equipment. Start adding special rules and play testing.

When you think it is ready, post here. Have a dozen or two members check it out. Hammer out everything around three or four times.

[move]Then you make a booklet containing everything you need to play with the army. You have the rules.[/move]

[shadow=red,left]Now from here you can proxy the models, or build them. If your proxying then your practically done, you just need to maybe add a little fluff.[/shadow]
If your building the models then you want the help of a experienced modeller. Even if you are one yourself, it still pays to have another to help out. To just finish up you prime and paint and go have some fun.
[size=30pt]Really though, one thing I can't stress enough is the dedication to build a functioning codex.[/size]
Send me a pm or post here if you need some help, I'll be glad to lend a virtual hand!
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
thecuriousmonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well tahnks heaps, when ive got v1 finished I will post here and get your opionion and so forth... What does Proxy the models mean?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:56   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Proxying is using a different model to represent the Moth'Re. This way you can play test them, and find any flaws in whatever rules you might create.

Heck you could even use little pieces of paper as proxies.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2006, 23:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well tahts what Ill probly do to begin with but I eventually want to make an entire army, and if its legal to cast the models and produce quite a few, send some copies off to GW and see what they think...
Old 20 Dec 2006, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well generally, proxying is using one object to represent another. So let us pretend you have all of your rules and you haven't any models. You could say that your space marines are "representing" your guys in the codex.

EDIT: Father beat me to it but I'll go ahead anyways.

People are generally iffy when it comes to proxying. If you can show them that your making a genuine effort when they get upset then that is great. Over the long run it is good to proxy just not often.

Play testing is going to be a rather large part of the process to help with the rules.

EDIT: I would recommend just using green stuff. A new codex is best just to play with some friends or people you know. If you are trying to come up with a new race for Games Workshop, please scrap this project now.
Quote:
I hate kids.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah ok, well I was only going top play around my friends and maybe introduce some of you guys to it, if its any good... I was only going to send a sample to GW to see if its good or not... Ill prob just show my friends at the local GW in sydney...
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

having just almost finished my predator codex, i can easuily tell you, don't trust the spellchecker, it lies.

start off by looking through existing dexes. then you get an idea of layouts.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2007, 13:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

TOUGH, Thecourious is pretty wrong. the FIRST and by far most inportant thing is the FLUFF. Decide what they ARE, and then represent what they ARE with units.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 20:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuriousMonke
Next you want to think, what are you basing the units on. Will they fit into the warhammer 40,000 universe?
Hey pal? Read my posts. My entire posts.

That said, writing fluff is good for descriptions.
Quote:
I hate kids.