Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Void Caste
Old 01 Aug 2006, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: Maurice Louisiana, 3 miles from civilization and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to shadowclasper
Default The Void Caste

I came up with awesome idea for a tau caste that is even more mysterious than the ethereals. The Void Caste. The Void caste is technically a section of the ethereals. But they are trained by in the aspects of all other castes. They are the super elite. They are some times deployed with a hunter cadre, but usually ahead of even the path finders, they usuall only come in one man teams, but sometimes, when the mission can not fail, in greater numbers, but never more than three.
They are armed with advanced technology that no other caste has access to. One of these is the Shock Rifle (yes I know the name is taken from Unreal Tournament, but please if yall can think of a better name tell me, the other choice was "synapse disrupter" which sounds cooler but doesn't make sense) Its fires a long range pulse of invisible ionic particle which sends an electrical charge through out the targets body, causing a natural looking heart attack, these guns are specially modified for the to effect the target's species. Many an imperial officer who has been threatening the greater good have died of a mysterious and sudden heart attack. Their job is to kill at range but if necessary they Carry a weapon that looks like an honor blade, but works on the same principals as the shock rifle.
One of their eyes is replaced with a robotic equivalent, with a computer brain installed behind it. They can link up directly into any electronic system by attacking a special wire to any of the circuitry of the thing they wish to control. They can look straight down the barrel of their shock rifle by linking up into the sight, they can hack any computer system with their mind and memorise the stolen data. They can control their mysterious "shadow-class Orca Dropships" by linking into the system. They are a caste that no other caste will willingly speak about... if they even know they exist. And every Void Caste member has a "deadman" explosive implanted in them. It will turn them, and all of their equipment to dust should they be captured.
It should be known that at least 5 full 3 man teams have been deployed to Medusa-V, an unprecedented amount in all of Tau history.
It is also unknown why O'Shova has not been killed yet by one of the Void caste, it is rummored that the 3 void caste members who were with his hunter cadre when he defected from the Empire have rebelled with him, but this is unknown

I made a model that I'll be posting later on this page, once I put the finishing touches on his paint scheme.

I sort of think they should be able to represent a tau kill team, like the lictors can for the Tyranids. What do yall think?

Shas'O Tash'var Vral Ko'Vash'Shi: "Or'es'Shas has only met with one crippling defeat, at the hands of the metallic dead... and we shall purge them form the galaxy, not just to avenge our fallen, but to prevent them from slowing the greater good's advance ever again." Before the battle to save refugees on Medusa V from being harvested by the Shadow Lord, a necron lord and killer off over 500 fire caste on the planet Yadsmood.
shadowclasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2006, 15:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Void Caste

I think that you shouldn't make it to bea new caste. If it is a new caste you need new body structure. Do you know how the castes came to be? If not let me tell you, if so just ignore the next part... Each caste was a tribe from when the Tau had not gained Space Flight. Each of these tribes were at war at all times. When the Etherals came down they brought with them piece. At the first meeting of, whatever it was called, with the table and the 4 Tau, anyway, another caste is not possible. It may be a seperate, not caste but...can't think of the name... Company of Shas'uis with O'Shava at their head as leader. Like a Rouge detachment fighting for the Greater Good.

The all consuming Y he are beyond the teachings of the Tau va And we Y he are proud of it

Lictor, Lictor, in a tree,
Stupid humans can't see me,
Reach out quick and cut one down,
See the rest all run around.
Quickly kill the last in line,
Hear the rest all squeal like swine.
Cut and slash and hack and slice,
Welcome to my paradise.
Lictor, Lictor in a tree,
No one's left to search for me.
Evisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2006, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Add the ability to destroy stars and planets with their minds.

Seriously, this is fanboyish and childish.

How about Shas'vre who are handpicked into an elite training program for a cadre put in modified stealth suits w/ your Synaptic Disruptor that does what you said?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2006, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: Maurice Louisiana, 3 miles from civilization and straight on till morning

I like that Idea better...
Can't think of a proper reason for their evolution, and with out that the reason for them being a caste falls apart, but elite section of the Fire Warriors works. Probably all armed with prototypes.

But I always forget to mention, please keep the sarcasim and hurtful comments to your selves, I'm just looking for constructive critisim, not insults.

Shas'O Tash'var Vral Ko'Vash'Shi: "Or'es'Shas has only met with one crippling defeat, at the hands of the metallic dead... and we shall purge them form the galaxy, not just to avenge our fallen, but to prevent them from slowing the greater good's advance ever again." Before the battle to save refugees on Medusa V from being harvested by the Shadow Lord, a necron lord and killer off over 500 fire caste on the planet Yadsmood.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 14:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If they are all armed with prototypes then some should die from bad weapon design every now and then. That is what happened with the rail gun in developement times.

The all consuming Y he are beyond the teachings of the Tau va And we Y he are proud of it

Lictor, Lictor, in a tree,
Stupid humans can't see me,
Reach out quick and cut one down,
See the rest all run around.
Quickly kill the last in line,
Hear the rest all squeal like swine.
Cut and slash and hack and slice,
Welcome to my paradise.
Lictor, Lictor in a tree,
No one's left to search for me.
Evisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2006, 07:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think it's a cool idea. I'm was thinking it would be something more like a T'au Vindicator Assassin. I would mod a pathfinder attach a bonding knife. trick out a rail rifle, ...... I will think a few other ideas when I get up tomorrow..ah... actually later this morning. :
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

It can be just like that David Wong article! Brave warriors die because some Earth caste had to reach a manufacturing quota, and used non-regulation valve casings on the clmate control vents! How romantic.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

Well its cool,but,going easy, Tau have absolutly no since of Phycic ability within the Empire,or so I beleave I have read.Also if a gun were so powerfull I would only have it to where as you can carry a psitol and a blade or the gun and nothing more cause it sounds,imo, pretty fun for a toy. ;D Maybe edit it around a bit and change a little of every thing and if and when you do I'd be waiting here to read it. ^,^

Happy Hunting!

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tau assassins... Hmm...

Fire Caste- no other alternative for strength and dexterity.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2006, 13:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah... been working on then... My idea is now more of a Tau Vindicare Assassin- I can't remember, can assassins be taken with any Imperium Army (SM, IG, DH, WH) or just with the Inquisitorial armies... any way it would work well if anybody did a Gue'vesa Imperial Army. The ability to hack vehicles would be Lore only...

I finally came up with a reason for them being a caste as well... and he reason they're so rare. You know how castes aren't allowed to cross breed? well in the rare event it does (considering this is an empire 3000 light years across, if not more after the third sphere expansion) this actually must happen a bit. I would assume that the collective ethereals of a world know every single Tau born, and because of Tau sensabilities (making sure their children grow to help the greater good) so they wouldn't hide their cross-caste (c-c) children, the ethereals would take these c-c's a placed them together, hidden away.
Now these c-c's were in a single enclave, hidden, having to be secretive, and because they were near each other, with other tau similar to them, and considering biology and basic instincts, they would have had kids, so this small enclave stayed small, but developed a mix of traits. A Fire Caste's warrior instincts and spirit, an Earth Caste's ability to understand technology, an Air Caste's ability to fly well, and a Water Caste's discretion and diplomatic skill. HECK! you could even throw in the Ethereal Caste if you wanted... though that would probably give them an Ethereal's ability to command other Tau, and I think it's less likely that the Ethereals would do this for some reason, maybe because they enforce the no caste interbreeding rule?
As for training, well the parents of the children, all probably experienced and at least of 'vre rank (the lowest rank I would think that a Tau had enough free time and a lot of interaction, besides where their jobs met, with other castes) and the ethereals would place them in the enclave too, so that word didn't spread of cross-caste breeding. Thus the original training.

Finally I stick to my original idea for equipment, a specially modified Orca, but it would be smaller, and it could use the Shade Field generators we developed during the Medusa V campaign (used it to hide the hammer). and the Shock Rifle, which would still cause the heart attack, but because an ionic burst (like the kind a pulse rifle uses I think) is kinda hard to hold together at sniper rifle distances, so it would take a lot of power, just like a rail rifle, and wouldn't be better than a normal sniper rifle. It could go boom like the prototype rail rifle, there being so much energy charging down the "barrel" (for lack of a better term) of the shock rifle that it wouldn't always shoot out, but could touch part of the metal of the gun, charging up into the void caste member holding the gun. The knife wouldn't do this because it's hilt would be specially modified.
The reason these would be prototypes is that the Void Caste would not have access to most Scientists in the Tau empire, only the earth caste exiled to their enclave and their own abilities.

if any one has any doubts on the wheal evolution thing... take a look at the original tau codex (page 63), and I think the new one too, but I can't find mine so I can't be sure. It tells how an imperial penologist thinks that the Tau occasionally go through stages of hyper evolution. So for a couple of melenia this enclave has been growing, never huge, because their own numbers are so limited and they have a high mortality rate (all assassins no matter what species have a high mortality rate, it comes with the job), having to live in complete secrecy and learning about keeping hidden on the few occasions they have to leave the enclave. Throw in the Hyper accelerated evolution, and BANG! you got the Void Caste.

Finally (yep its the end folks) I think I know where the Enclave could be located. N'dras, a 1st phase colony and a lesser Sept, voluntarily abandoned by the Tau, except for a few. This could be the Void caste, the place would be a perfect cover, nobody wants to go there in the first place, nobody wants to stay long, and the few non void caste who stayed are considered moody and untrustworthy so most Tau would be driven off (not physically) by these Tau.
It sort of all falls together for me.

Please reply to this, I like the idea and I think I've worked out the last few bugs. remember I want constructive criticism, not insults to the idea. some of you have been less than kind *cough*MechTau*cough* but no hard feelings, almost all of you have helped me make this better, especially with the idea to make them basically vindicares (which fills in the stat line)