Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Own Campain
Closed Thread
Old 23 May 2006, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Krimxon Send a message via Yahoo to Krimxon
Default My Own Campain

I've decided to host a campain for my friends. I've come up with a brilliant idea.

A battle to control a solar system. This campain might take a few days at most. It's for the summer, and planning starts now.
I make a map of a Solar System/Galaxy/Universe not sure what to go with (Any suggestions?) and we each start with one planet.

We will be making up stats for planets. Each of us will make some planets and we'll choose the best ones, create terrain and place them according to what planet we're on, and choose a colour of cloth we'll be using for the terrain, whether it's on a planet like our moon (grey/blue cloth) or in a desert (brown/tan cloth)

There will be maybe...10 planets or less to control. There are 3 of us I think. One Space Marine, One Tyranid/Tau, and myself is Tau. So it seems like we'll be Tau/Nids/SM playing this game.

Anyways, we first roll die to see our order of play.

Once we have that, we make a move to a planet, and another, and another, until all planets are controlled. (Like Risk). Then, you can hop in your vessel/fleet/ship (These are not built, but it will be represented on the map) and attack other planets, where your friends are located. Then, you have a battle to see who gets to control that planet.

Battles continue until one persone has all the planets controlled.

I think this will be very fun.

Comments and Suggestions and Critiscism wanted! Thank you!

Old 23 May 2006, 16:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: My Own Campain

Wel, you still need alot of work somehow. It is better if each of you have a HQ planet. So that means that you will be waging war from that planet. Put in the Exp system and points regeneration system. That will make for an interesting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:21   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

It is definitely a starting point. If you're looking for the campaign to last a few days, you might consider just a solar system.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimxon
A battle to control a solar system. This campain might take a few days at most. It's for the summer, and planning starts now.
I make a map of a Solar System/Galaxy/Universe not sure what to go with (Any suggestions?) and we each start with one planet.
A sub-sector is what you're looking for.. A sub sector could have somewhere around 10 systems, each with one main planet and perhaps some secondary planets.

Anyway, a planetary assault is an enormous affair, involving dozens, if not hundreds of ships carrying hundreds of thousands if not millions if not billions of troops. It's not a simple matter of fighting a battle and see who wins...

You'd be better off not fighting over planets but over cities. Take a single planet, identify 10 strategic places (like the capital, the orbital defence lasers in the middle of the desert, the PDF command bunker in the mountains, the mines on the planet's moon, etc), and see who has the power to conquer - or defend - the planet. The noble Tau, making a desperate last stand, unable to send word to the rest of the Empire... The Brutal Tyranids, appearing out of nowhere to unleash wave after wave of creatures upon the planet... Or perhaps the heroic Space Marines Chapter, determined to drive off the Xenos and bring the planet under the Emperor's light...
Old 23 May 2006, 17:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One battle is suppose to represent the taking of a planet. In many videogames, it is like that.

Every played Starwars Battlefront 2? It's like that.

A ship goes to an enemy controlled planet, you select it, battle injust one city, the planet is yours.

It's a planetary victory I suppose.

I'll draw up a simple test-map for it.

Here's the map:

I may change and edit it, even make a new one. This is an example. We will print it out, and use markers to show who controls which planet, and even make markers for small vessels.

Old 23 May 2006, 18:29   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ah......I see.

Star wars battlefront 2 have some stuff that you. Lke for example, better equipment, more men as your backup......stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 23 May 2006, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea.

Also, does anyone have any renders of a Tau ship, Chaos ship, Space marine ship, and a Tyranid Hive fleet ship? And if there is none, can someone kindly make me one?

Thank you.

Old 23 May 2006, 19:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
One battle is suppose to represent the taking of a planet. In many videogames, it is like that.

Every played Starwars Battlefront 2? It's like that.

A ship goes to an enemy controlled planet, you select it, battle injust one city, the planet is yours. Even Medusa V is just a single planet, and not even a large one! Really, it's up to you, but I don't think it's a good idea to be fighting over a whole sub-sector.

It's a planetary victory I suppose.
The wars in BF2 aren't even comparable to the kind of battles that take place between Tau, Astartes and 'Nids! BF2 wars are relatively 'clean' wars, with pretty much only the military involved in the fight. 40k planetary assaults are total war. It's live or die. Lose a planet to the Nids, and you can never go back there. Losing to the Astartes means total annihilation. Only the Tau way of war is comparable to that of the Republic.

Even GW doesn't give planets just like that... Each planet represents a massive ammount of military power, and to conquer a sub-sector you need at least a WAAAGH half the size of that of Armageddon! Really, it's your call, but I seriously don't think it's a good idea to be fighting over an entire sub-sector... It's completely contradictionary to the fluff, especially when it involves the Tau.

Quote:
I'll draw up a simple test-map for it.

Why would they fight over every planet in the system? Normally only one planet is inhabited to a meaningful degree.. Use a standard sub-sector map if you really have to battle over planets... Like this one (in spanish, I know, first one I could find): http://www.games-workshop.es/especia...oria/bakka.asp

Quote:
Also, does anyone have any renders of a Tau ship, Chaos ship, Space marine ship, and a Tyranid Hive fleet ship? And if there is none, can someone kindly make me one?

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/b...os/default.htm

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/b...ds/default.htm

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/b...al/default.htm
Old 23 May 2006, 19:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You don't see the point.

Say your fighting on a world... Since it would be take too long to play on each part of the world to capture it under your control, you'd pretend there are other battles fighting elsewhere. You are at the most important battle, because of your HQ being there, and winning that would turn the tides of the planet, and your force would become victorious.

So that one victory represents many victories on the planet, thus controlling it.

EDIT:

How's this for a planet?

It is as if you are looking at it on a screen of some sort.... The white lines indicate where you can attack from. The "pts" show how many points the battle is. (It's a small planet)

I bet that;s better!

Old 23 May 2006, 20:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
You don't see the point.

Say your fighting on a world... Since it would be take too long to play on each part of the world to capture it under your control, you'd pretend there are other battles fighting elsewhere. You are at the most important battle, because of your HQ being there, and winning that would turn the tides of the planet, and your force would become victorious.

So that one victory represents many victories on the planet, thus controlling it.
You don't get it, a sub-sector is about 5% of the entire Tau Empire. Such a campaign would make for a GW campaign and a 1000 page novel to justify. Fighting a single battle to decide the fate of a world goes against all 40k fluff, where they always focuss on horrible, drawn out conflicts of life and death. It's like flipping a coin to see who won world war 2.