Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mini game: Shadow-games.
Closed Thread
Old 18 Mar 2006, 12:05   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Mini game: Shadow-games.

Note: This game does not use the normal 40K rules. As such, the stats given below are different to those of normal Stealth Suits. Weapons have also been changed.

The Stealth Team:
Shas'Ar'Ui Ol
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ar'Ui'Ol[/td][td]2[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]
Weapons: Fusion Blaster (12" Str 8. Ap 3 Assault 1).

Shas'Ui Kais
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ui'Kais[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]
Weapons: Burst Cannon (18" Str 4. Ap 5 Assault 3).

Shas'Ui Kaara
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ui'Kaara[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]
Weapons: Fusion Blaster (12" Str 8. Ap 3 Assault 1).

3x Shas'Ui
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shas'Ui[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]
Weapons: Burst Cannon (18" Str 4. Ap 5 Assault 3).

The Invaders:

3x Gilax-Nouka'zn
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Gilax[/td][td]5[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]
Weapons: Nouka'zn (Range: 24" Str: 5 Ap: 4 Rapid Fire).

Gilax-Kahl'ja
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr][tr][td]Gilax[/td][td]5[/td][td]5[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]
Weapons: Kahl'ja (Range: 48" Str: 7 Ap: 3 Heavy 2).

Battlefield:
The Battlefield is a woodland area. Players should aim to have as much cover on the board as possible. A gaming table of 4' x 4' will be more than sufficient.

The Tau set up first, deploying anywhere on the board. They must not be within 6" of a board edge, and must be within 6" of at least one other Tau.

The Gilax then set up anywhere on the board, more than 6" from a Tau model.

Both players then roll a D6. The winner gets first turn.

The game continues until all models on one side are dead.

Scenario Special Rules:

Individuals: All units are individuals. They may move independently of one another, and need not remain in any form of coherancy.

Jet Pack: The Tau are equipped with Jet Packs, allowing them to move D6" in the assault phase, in any direction.

Fleet of Foot: The Invaders have Fleet of Foot, as per the normal 40K rules.

Stealth Combat: All models are equipped with cloaking technology. This works differently to normal.
Whenever a model wishes to fire or charge, it must select a target, then roll a D6. If the score is equal or less than their Initiative, they have spotted the target, and may fire! A roll of 1 is always a success, and a 6 is always a failure.

In addition, the following modifiers apply. Apply all applicable modifiers to your roll:
  • Target fired last turn: -1
  • Target is a Tau which moved last turn. -1
  • Target used Jet Pack last turn. -1
  • Target used Fleet of Foot last turn. -1
  • Target is in cover. +1
  • Target is not the closest viable target. +1
  • Target is more than 12" away. +1

If the Initiative roll is failed, the model may do nothing this turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Mar 2006, 15:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Mini game: Shadow-games.

This seems like it could be interesting. A skirmish game using stealth and skill, running around in the bushes, shooting at half glimpsed shadows... I particulary like the ieda of using the Initiative stat as a measure of combat awareness and experience.

Some questions and ideas:

What are the Gilax? I get the immediate association of huge crusty, saurian creatures in ridged carapace armour suits with big spiky guns. Hmm... might be interesting to train my sculpting skills on.

You state that a model has to make an Initiative test to fire or charge, but that a failed test means the model can do nothing that turn. This does not include moving in the movement phase obviously, but what about firing an assault type weapon and then charging? Do you think there should be two tests or just one?

Have you considered alternate activation game play and possibly overwatch fire for a game like this? Alternate activation could make the game more intricate, which is not so complicated in a scenario with a low model count. Overwatch could be used by models that have not used jetpacks or fleet of foot during their move, and who did not attempt to fire or charge an enemy model. To fire overwatch fire at an moving enemy model an Initiative test would have to be made, of course.

Again, this is a nice idea. Taking the game and innovating things to add new challenges and experiences is something more people should aspire to. And a simple scenario like this can be endlessly tweaked and rerun. Imagine tossing in some Pathfinders instead of Stealth suits, and the whole game changes again. Using only a small number of models and a limited array of weapons and troop types turns the game into a miniverse in and of itself, allowing for endless experimentation.

I'll try to run a game of this or two, and tell you how it went.

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 22 Mar 2006, 16:42   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares
What are the Gilax?
The Gilax are Draqui soldiers. Seven feet tall, wearing ornate, hand-crafted armour. I don't have an exact design for them yet.

Quote:
You state that a model has to make an Initiative test to fire or charge, but that a failed test means the model can do nothing that turn. This does not include moving in the movement phase obviously, but what about firing an assault type weapon and then charging? Do you think there should be two tests or just one?
Two tests; one to shoot, one to charge. If you fail the test for shooting, you lose the ability to charge as well.

Quote:
Have you considered alternate activation game play and possibly overwatch fire for a game like this? Alternate activation could make the game more intricate, which is not so complicated in a scenario with a low model count. Overwatch could be used by models that have not used jetpacks or fleet of foot during their move, and who did not attempt to fire or charge an enemy model. To fire overwatch fire at an moving enemy model an Initiative test would have to be made, of course.
It's something I'll consider.

Quote:
Again, this is a nice idea. Taking the game and innovating things to add new challenges and experiences is something more people should aspire to. And a simple scenario like this can be endlessly tweaked and rerun. Imagine tossing in some Pathfinders instead of Stealth suits, and the whole game changes again. Using only a small number of models and a limited array of weapons and troop types turns the game into a miniverse in and of itself, allowing for endless experimentation.
Pathfinders would be a great idea... perhaps a rule for Markerlights "lighting up" the target.

Of course, with AP 4 guns, the Gilax will blow the hell out of standard Firewarriors...

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Mar 2006, 17:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Again, very cool. You should add many other units, too. If you put Fleet of Foot as the rule for all Suqui you can easily switch out Invaders. I's be cool with maybe Scouts stalking Kommandoz or Mandrakes preying on a Guard platoon.

Also, with a more inricate, smal-scale ruleset you can add other things different from the main 40k rule set. For example, I've always though Pathfinders shold get a 5+ save (less armor on the model) but have some sort of stealth rule other than Scouts. For here you could do that and have a -1 for PF's that do nothing and are in cover.

Now we can find out whether Kais and Ar'ui'Ol survive until extraction.

"In war, laws are silent"
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So, what are Draqui? Some xenos race I haven't heard of? Sounds like giant draconians to me... Ornamented armour sound just the way to go. Would you mind if I did some sketches or models and posted pictures of them here?

As for rules, I guess the best way to test them is by using them.

Armour save 4+ troops would have to make good use of cover, of course... Markerlights could be used to make a target easier to spot once painted, or even automatically spotted.

Thanks for your reply. I'll get back to this thread when I have something concrete to show.

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd be curious to see your sketches...

Quote:
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I might have time to do some stuff this weekend or the week after. Want me to post them here?

The Eldar Rule:

Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:42   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Definately.

Quote:
Closed Thread